Craig car theft suspect sentenced in district court

photo

File Photo

Nicole Colvin

A suspect involved in an August 2011 vehicle theft will not serve jail time following a sentencing hearing Tuesday in Moffat County District Court.

Alicia Colvin, 31, of Craig, pleaded guilty Oct. 31, 2011, before Chief Judge Michael O’Hara in district court to trespass of an auto with intent to commit, a Class 5 felony.

A second charge of first-degree motor vehicle theft, a Class 4 felony, was dropped, according to court records.

Colvin appeared Tuesday before O’Hara for sentencing. She was represented by public defender Leslie Goldstein.

In addition to a deferred judgment that includes fines and three years of supervised probation, Colvin was looking at a possible sentence of 30 days in jail.

Jon Pfeifer, Moffat County deputy district attorney, asked the court to impose the jail sentence because Colvin’s criminal record includes three prior arrests for driving under the influence.

“Ms. Colvin is certainly less culpable than the other individuals involved with this case,” Pfeifer said. “As far as I can prove, she is not the person who stole the vehicle, she did not drive the vehicle, but that person was her boyfriend and she knew absolutely that was not his car and she got into the vehicle nevertheless.

“She was involved with something that caused a lot of people pain. Three people lost their vehicles and the suspects were seen driving at 60 miles per hour in residential Craig, putting others in danger.”

O’Hara opted to send Colvin to short-term intensive residential remediation treatment at Arapahoe House in Denver instead of jail.

It is a 14-day inpatient program aimed at assisting offenders with substance abuse problems to get clean.

Before sentencing, Colvin addressed the court and asked for leniency because she is the mother of a 14-year-old son.

“I would ask you to take into consideration that I have been sober for five months and that I am doing very well right now,” Colvin said. “I would be very grateful if you would allow me to remain with my son.”

O’Hara said he struggled with his decision considering Colvin’s criminal background, but ultimately approved the stipulation for a deferred judgment under conditions that Colvin successfully complete treatment by March 31 and undergo supervised probation for three years.

Should Colvin complete her probation without incident, the charge of trespass of an auto with intent to commit would be dismissed.

“Please don’t drop the ball on this program,” O’Hara said. “I’m taking you at your word that you want to do this, but the bad news is if you don’t you come back here for re-sentencing and there is no deal about what’s going to happen because that will constitute a violation of your probation.”

Pfeifer said he was limited on what he could say about the decision because sentencing against the other theft suspects — Jarod Bays, 25, and Joseph A. Galvan, 20 — is pending.

“We decided to treat Colvin like an alcoholic first and a criminal second, hopefully to give her the opportunity to overcome and not commit any more crimes,” Pfeifer said. “That’s why we do these deferred judgments, but it is kind of like having a noose around your neck because if she slips up there’s no restricting what the judge can do.”

Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.

Comments

josephgriswold 2 years, 3 months ago

5 years ago an experiment from Progressive in Texas where drivers voluntarily agreed to let the auto insurer put devices in their cars to essentially spy on them as they drove. The idea was that safer drivers would get lower insurance rates learn more at "clearance auto" on the web

cory5611 2 years, 3 months ago

Now she cares about her kid that is crap should have been thanking about that in the first place not out joy riding in a car that you helped steal I just hope for your sake and are sake your son learns from you and dont end up a theif

maria101 2 years, 3 months ago

cory 5611 can you not read she didnt have anything to do with stealing anything she doesnt have a history of stealing either and for you to say that its crap that she cares about her kids not just kid maybe you need to take a look at yourself you sure are quick to judge without really knowing...if i were you i would start praying.im sure your not perfect none of us are..

jamal212 2 years, 3 months ago

Cory, Alicia does everything she can for her kids! By the way she has two not one. You don't know the situation, you don't know ANYTHING that happened, and obviously you don't know Alicia. So before you start judging and running your mouth i suggest you learn the facts and quite possibly your grammer. Have a good day(:

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 3 months ago

"...Colvin’s criminal record includes three prior arrests for driving under the influence."

Three DUIs? Ye gods.

jamal212:

Before criticizing someone else’s grammar, you might consider elevating your spelling above the 3rd-grade level. There’s no such word as “grammer.”

cory5611 2 years, 3 months ago

Yea I do not know here and have no need to. She is still a criminal she did not have to get in the car with them . Then there is the whole kid thing she only talked about the 14 year old not the other one and I never said I did not do any thing wrong but I was a kid when it happend and most people grow up in to adults that take care of there kids and not out drinking and joy riding

jamal212 2 years, 3 months ago

Clearly you don't know her personally if you didn't know of both her children, they are what her whole world revolves around. And as far as spelling grammar wrong goes brian, it was a simple mistake one letter out of almost a whole paragraph is pretty good. Im done with this. I'm just saying before you put your comment out there for people to see you should know what you are talking about.

maria101 2 years, 3 months ago

she actually only has 2 dui's the newspaper was wrong...and i dont know what little fantasy world your living in but more than half this town are alcoholics she was just in the wrong place at the time and got caught up in a bad situation and if she wasnt so drunk she would of never got in that car and yes there is such a word as gramer...

cory5611 2 years, 3 months ago

Yea drugs and drinking let us keep blaming this she chose to drink and not be home with her kids and this did not happen at night it was during the day so her kids were in school I bet and she was out getting drunk. Its easy to blame every other thing in life other then your self

Domestic_diva 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't understand why the sentence is so light and deferred considering the circumstances. There are so many YOUNG kids that get in trouble in this town for things less than stealing a car, that have no prior criminal history, and the court go crazy when they are sentencing them. I did something much less serious than drinking, stealing a car, damaging other peoples property, and putting lives in danger by driving through neighborhoods at ridiculous speeds. I was 18, had never been in trouble before, and I TOOK RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY ACTIONS, and I still ended up with jail time, fines, and a felony on my record for the rest of my life. I was young, and dumb, and I made bad decisions (decisions that I CHOSE to make, I don't blame anyone or anything but myself), so I had to pay the price. But not everyone does? I guess sentencing in this town depends on who you are, not what you do. Also, the point of your sentence is to learn a lesson. I certainly did. I got my life straight, I stopped doing stupid stuff. I got married, had kids, finished college, and have lived as a productive citizen. But more than one DUI, drinking, stealing peoples cars (and people can say that she didn't, or wouldn't have if she hadn't been with the other people, but she is a 31 year old ADULT, perfectly capable of making her own decisions) and she gets away with probation AGAIN. Really our courts have part of the blame. Children are always the ones who suffer in these situations. It is wrong for her to use her kid as an excuse not to go to jail. She should have thought about her kids when she made poor decisions, not as an afterthought to get out of the mess she created for herself. Regardless of everything involved in this case (the sentence, the drinking, the kids) it is time for her to take responsibility for her own actions and her life and get it straight. It is time for her to stop partying, be a productive citizen and take care of her family like a 31 year old should. If she does, that's great. If she doesn't, I hope the courts feel stupid for letting a re-offender offend again. It is certainly not my intention here to make judgements about this person, but to simply look at the facts and call out a few problems I see. After all, it is you, and me, and everyone in this town that is affected by the actions of people like this. Here is another example of where our tax dollars are going. Wasted in more ways than one including a court system that has poor judgement. Lastly, everyone is allowed to voice their opinions, regardless of how they spell or say things. When you attack someone because of their spelling it is because you are insecure about yourself and feel the need to down other people. No one here is better than anybody else. For the other people that defend this case and claim to "know her", I assume that some of you are friends of hers. Instead of wasting your time defending her bad decisions, I suggest you stop condoning this and support good decisions.

firstofthefallen 2 years, 3 months ago

It is incredibly unfortunate that some people have trouble with either drugs or alcohol and it leads them into making bad decisions. For many of the people that do experience these struggles it is often a very drastic incident that opens their eyes to the fact that changes need to be made. For this particular person it seems as though this has been her wake up call. It is never too late to begin changing one's life and habits and it is never too late to start making the correct choices. I wish good luck to this young woman.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 3 months ago

"...and yes there is such a word as gramer…"

lol. Have a great time at your next GED reunion.