Letter: 'Thank you' to the yard sale thief

I am writing this letter to thank all who supported our yard sale at 352 Taylor St. last weekend.

My 6 year old son and I worked very hard to help offset the cost of tuition and back to school clothes for him. We appreciate all who came out and supported our efforts.

It is important for us to teach him that nothing in life is free and if you want nice things you must work for them.

I also would like to thank the dark haired lady in the white SUV who Friday night stole my sons red Little Tikes art easel.

He was kind enough to let me borrow it to advertise our yard sale. By stealing this you have taught him a valuable lesson: That not all people do the right things in life and people will steal.

He has learned if it is not yours then you should leave it alone because stealing is wrong and it hurts people.

I truly hope you enjoy my son’s easel. My only hope is that you did not steal this for a child.

If you did I hope you do the right thing and tell them you stole it from a 6-year-old.

Otherwise you will be a liar and a thief.

Also I have the description of your car make/model because someone saw you take it. As soon as we figure out who exactly you are, I will send the police over to "thank you" too.

In the meantime, we will pray for you.

Tammy Maicus

Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.

Comments

AJMercier 1 year, 7 months ago

Tammy,

I am sorry about someone stealing your son's art easel but claiming that you are teaching your son about important things in life, like hard work possibly can get things that he needs, wants, and possibly the nice things in this world, taking from others is not right, but I think that you forgot to teach him to keep things that is his indoors or in their proper places, so no one can take them. I think also it is important to keep things pick up, so nothing can get stolen or put somewhere else. If we cannot forgive other people for doing wrong things than it is no use trying to the right thing for yourself.

craigresident1987 1 year, 7 months ago

She said she was using it tl display her yard sale sign at her house. Therefore, the easel was not for sale or "free."

LindaMills 1 year, 7 months ago

AJMercier, Perhaps you should take the time to more thoroughly read what you are crtiticzing and maybe you would save some time in not bothering. Obviously you missed the part where the mother said the child was kind enough to lend HER his easel for the yard sale sign. It did not need to be picked up, it was being used. The only fault here lies in the person who stole it. You should now do the right thing for yourself and apologize to the mother and the child . And Tammy, I am truly sorry your child had to witness first hand the selfishness and bad choices of other people. Kudos for you for trying to teach him how to make good choices! I hope you are able to find who took it and get it back to him.

Amu 1 year, 7 months ago

AJ - you should change your name to Sanctimonious Blowhard. A yard sale on one's own property is a perfectly "proper place". Suggesting that the theft is somehow the result of Ms. Maicus' negligence is beyond asinine, as are you. If not for the civility guidelines imposed by this forum, your spew would merit a two syllable response.

AJMercier12 1 year, 7 months ago

To all the comments that were left for me about being "negative," which was not said during the comments, I am not going to apologizing for what I said. There are possibly three different events that possibly let to the easel being stolen. First possible event that I think, is that the mother, which had the responsibility to keep the easel safe that the son let her borrow for the yard sale, if it happen after the sale, than the mother should of put in a safe place, so it won't get stolen. Second possible event, is that it happen during the sale itself, which than it is the thief that should take responsibility of giving it back. Third and lastly, if the mother forgot to put it away after the sale and the responsibility was lapse, which I will take because I lapse with things every so often, than I will apologize for the second and third event, but not for the first event. I don't know when it took place, so being, in my view of things, negative with my comment earlier on is not right but giving the other side of the story, expect the thief's story, than that is my opinion. I was also taught to pick up my things and if I didn't than they would be taken away by my parents and they will be giving back at a later time.

craigresident1987 1 year, 7 months ago

AJMercier12- Seriously your saying the mother is at fault for not keeping the easel safe? Come on now get real. It sounds to me like you have something against this mother personally and by leaving comments towards her makes you feel better about yourself. Perhaps maybe your the one who took the easel? It is common sense if there is a "yard sale" sign being displayed on an easel, umm the easel is for display purposes only. This mother and son did NOTHING WRONG what are you not understanding?

AJMercier12 1 year, 7 months ago

I have nothing against the mother and I don't have the easel, which I didn't steal it, I don't even know the mother either. I am not condoning what the "dark hair" lady did either. But, it could of been prevented in the first place. We are assume that everyone does the right thing and leave things alone but people are self-interested and selfish as humans that we are. I am not saying that the mother or thief was right in the matter, the real victim was the six year old son, which some random lady brought the son a new easel and art supplies, which is good in the end. But, negligence on the mother's part, omission or commissioned, still is not right to publicly "shame or guilt" the lady for stealing the easel from her son that let his mother borrow. I am not placing any blame on anyone but there was negligence involved in the equation.

AJMercier12 1 year, 7 months ago

Also, I don't feel better or worse for my comments on here.

craigresident1987 1 year, 7 months ago

hahahah now you go back on what you said in your very first comment. Obviously you have no idea what your talking about. Maybe the residents in Craig that are having yard sales can hire you, to stand in their driveway to advertise the sale going on.. That way the easel,diaper box,pole whatever is displaying the yard sale sign won't get stolen!

AJMercier12 1 year, 7 months ago

I am actually supporting what I have said in the first comment that I posted. Because, we don't take responsibility for our things and take accountability for things that we own and get stolen, than it is our fault for assuming that people will do the right thing, which is false in the long run. We place blame on the another person because it is easy and convenient to do. I think we have a huge mess with crimes, because we trust other people too much and that is also not right. I am trying to set the record stay, when people should take accountability and responsibility for the things that we own and we borrow from other people.

craigresident1987 1 year, 7 months ago

Ok then, well enough on this subject I've got other things to do. Such as set my yard sale up! Yep no joke...

AJMercier12 1 year, 7 months ago

I wish you luck on your yard sale and I hope nobody steals anything from you, but that is high hope for human beings. I hope everything goes well for your yard sale and may you get a good profit from the sale itself.

brfo 1 year, 7 months ago

AJ- If you have a tv in your house, you go to sleep at night, then wake up the next morning to find that someone stole it, who's at fault for the stolen tv? From what I can gather from your previous comments, it would be your fault, right? You didn't take the proper steps to secure your property.

Sure, you locked your door at night and made sure all the windows were shut and secured, but it still got stolen. You could have done so much more to protect it. You could have bolted it to the wall, put in an alarm system, set up an electric fence, and put a pressure sensitive switch under the tv so when it was lifted, poisonous darts flew out from the wall and tranquilized the assailant.

But you didn't, so it's your own fault for your tv getting stolen. The thief- he's not a fault. He just simply noticed that you didn't install the poisonous darts and thought that this meant you were giving your tv away.

If my illustration does not accurately depict your point, please feel free to correct it.

AJMercier12 1 year, 7 months ago

If you want to be excessive about it than yeah that is fine with me. But, being logical about the situation, I fell asleep with the tv on and it got stolen, with my doors being and windows shut, like you mentioned in the comment above, and it is my fault still. I don't think so because I tried to prevent the tv from being stolen and it is not my fault in the end. I will not use excessive behaviors to keep my stuff from being stolen but use common sense that people won't try to break in and steal a tv. But, I know better than that because there have been people breaking and entering, which is against the law and I will not be please that someone decided to break in and steal the tv. I also won't bolted it to the wall or to anything and I won't use anything that will kill another human being. I think you went to far with your illustration and went to the extreme of protection of a tv.

irishbrat 1 year, 7 months ago

I think you're all missing AJ's point. We don't live in a perfect world....things happen and people steal, it's plain and simple. Take precautions so it doesn't happen, put your stuff away where it won't get stolen.