In this photo taken by local photographer Marvin Cattoor, an adult male black bear crouches in a tree Sunday morning on Ranney Street. The bear also took refuge in a tree on Mack Lane, said Cattoor, who took several photos of the animal before it was euthanized by Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials.

Marvin Cattoor/Courtesy

Parks and Wildlife puts down bear sighted in Craig

photo

Robin Weible/Courtesy

Robin Weible took this photo of an adult male black bear Sunday from her home on the 1400 block of West Third Street. After failed attempts to tranquilize the bear, Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials euthanized the animal in accordance with a “two-strike” policy regarding nuisance bears.

photo

A gap in the barbed wire fence behind Marvin and Robin Weible’s home on the 1400 block of West Third Street shows where a black bear escaped into Woodbury Park on Sunday morning. The bear was estimated to be between 8 and 10 years old and weighed roughly 300 pounds, “which is a fairly large bear for this time of year,” said Mike Porras, public information officer for the Colorado Parks and Wildlife’s northwest region.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers euthanized an adult male black bear Sunday in Craig after attempts to tranquilize the animal failed, an agency spokesman said.

“Our officers did not put this bear down for any other reason other than the fact that it was a tagged nuisance bear and it did not look like it was in any hurry to leave the city,” said Mike Porras, public information officer for Parks and Wildlife’s northwest region.

The bear was reported Sunday morning to the Moffat County Public Safety Center, where the call was forwarded to Parks and Wildlife. The caller reported the animal was in the yard of a home near the intersection of Third Street and Mack Lane, Porras said.

The animal, which probably was searching for food, was estimated to be between 8 and 10 years old and weighed roughly 300 pounds, “which is a fairly large bear for this time of year,” Porras said.

Parks and Wildlife officers found the bear in a tree when they came on the scene.

“They tried to tranquilize it but for unknown reasons, the tranquilizer darts did not work,” Porras said.

The bear then escaped into Woodbury Park, but not before leaving a “bear-sized hole” in Marvin and Robin Weible’s barbed-wire fence, she said.

Robin, 53, spotted the bear at about 9 a.m. in her back yard, which borders Woodbury Park on the 1400 block of West Third Street.

“It was pretty exciting,” she said.

“That’s just not something you see every day, even living around here,” she said.

From the park, the bear headed south of First Street. Attempts to herd it out of the area were unsuccessful.

“(Officers) really tried to get that bear to move away from town, but it really wasn’t in the mood, apparently, to leave the confines of the city there,” Porras said. “That’s when our officers made the decision that it was best just to put it down.”

Wildlife officials euthanized the animal south of the Public Safety Center.

He cautioned residents to be mindful of bears and avoid leaving food out for them.

“It just speaks to the reasons that people need to remember to not provide human food to bears, whether it’s through trash or bird feeders or hand-feeding,” he said.

“As a result of that kind of interaction, we see a few bears having to be put down by our officers every year."

Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.

Comments

onewhocares 2 years, 7 months ago

I say, hunt all the stupid people and leave the last of the birds and animals on this planet alone (Sad thing is, I honestly mean this.) Anything remotely wild and beautiful to a few of us, must be destroyed by those who have completely lost their connection to this planet. Man never learns!!!

Rebelgirl 2 years, 7 months ago

Really Ranger?? Who was here in the area first? Not you or your kids. Humans are the invaders, we destroy the habitat the animals depend on. So yes lets kill the animals that bother yes. Congradulations ignorance like your is the reason man is destroying the planet. Maybe we should practice population control on humans? We do on everything else why not us?

jalana 2 years, 7 months ago

I for one am glad the bear is dead.I love animals as much as the next guy but our safety has to come first.Our children play baseball in this area.This could have ended very badly.Be thankful it ended with only the bear dead.

Jason Phillips 2 years, 7 months ago

In the last week officials in Denver and Boulder both successfully tranquilized bears and moved them out of the city...

But not in Craig. Nope, these hillbilly Parks & Wildlife guys can't do their jobs properly, so they figure why not just kill the thing? And how about supplying the local paper with a couple of ignorant quotes to boot? People get outraged about paying politicians for incompetence - how about these morons collecting a check on the taxpayer's dime? Total incompetence.

Nadja Rider 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm a bit weary of the "wildlife was here first" statement. We as humans are part of the ecosystem as well, and no not all animals were here first. Does Craig look like bear habitat to you?

Though I would have preferred that the bear was moved to an unpopulated area, he was already a tagged bear from previously being moved. The wildlife officers did the right thing.

With a drought forecast, lack of food in the high country and lousy bear management rules in Colorado, we're most likely looking at more bears and other critters moving into our neighborhoods. All of Colorado will see an increase in bear/human interactions due to the significant increase in bear populations.

I say, ship all the nuisance bears to the front range, they're the ones that voted to end the spring bear hunt - now they should deal with the consequences.

Nadja Rider 2 years, 7 months ago

@Buff_bronc_fan

Where do you think those bears in Denver & Boulder end up? The western slope ends up dealing with problem bears. It would be interesting to find out where the bear was tagged and moved from.

Jason Phillips 2 years, 7 months ago

I stand corrected, if the bear had been previously tagged then I don't mind their decision as much. I got the impression from the first part of the story that they prematurely gave up on tranquilizing the animal.

I missed the portion of the story about the animal previously being tagged (in my rush to judgement). Apologies.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 7 months ago

This is at least the second time onewhocares has posted the same asinine remarks. Anyone who disagrees with his/her worldview is "stupid" and needs to be "hunted" down & eradicated. Mein Kampf much, dip$hi+?

By the way, dip$hi+, I post under my real name and I'm easy to find. Feel free to "hunt" me at your leisure. You won't of course. Your fundamental cowardice limits your malevolence to anonymous spew, like the whiny shrew you are.

GreyStone 2 years, 7 months ago

Bear meat can be cooked on the grill with a little barbecue sauce, a mess of mashed potatoes and gravy…tastes a lot like pork. Real good eatn......... Hope the meat didn’t get sent to the Craig dump.

Jobeth Haydon-Tupa 2 years, 7 months ago

@ Brian, you could quite possibly be, my new personal hero.

@ Rebelgirl, if you are too stupid to hit spell check, you are not allowed to call people ignorant. It's a T not a D..... ignorant, much?

check mate.

George Robertson 2 years, 7 months ago

Man is NOT destroying this planet! They may be progressively making it uninhabitable, but this planet was here for millions of years before "man" showed up, and quite frankly won't miss "man" at all as it continues on for millions of years after they're gone.

kelizabeth1022 2 years, 7 months ago

I am really mad and upset at the Craig police department and Division of Wildlife for killing the bear that was in Woodbury park. He didn't do anything wrong and he wasn't a danger to anybody. They said they tried to tranquilize him but it didn't work. They could have used a stronger one or come up with another way to move him instead they shot him for no reason and killed him. I think they are heartless and cruel.

Rebelgirl 2 years, 7 months ago

Really cologrl? Checkmate? Whatever if all you can do is read the board and rip on someone for spelling and not acctually post something of context then why bother? Atleast I shared my opinion on the story. I will call man ignorant as long as they continue to kill for no purpose.

And yes nature was here long before man but if man destorys vital parts of the eco system such as they are doing to the oceans, they cannot be corrected. I just dont understand why humans run on greed, stupidity and ignorance. What right do we have to kill another living thing just because it is doing what comes natural. If we enter into its natural domain and are killed then it must be killed? Yes lets continue to destroy animals, and barge our way into their home.

missrose 2 years, 7 months ago

This article makes me very sad. I think if the bear hadn't been bothering anything or anyone they should have anesthetized him and relocated him. I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about this incident. We live in a rural town and should be expected to properly handle this kind of a situation. I think the ineffective tranquilizer is a b.s excuse for some trigger friendly individual. I would really be more concerned for the kids with other humans around rather than a bear. There are some crazy people in this world and I think a bear coming down is the least of our problems. Humans used to be part of ecosystems but with the development of technology and the explosion of our population we are now detrimental. We do move into and destroy habitat not just for large species like bears but for everything. There needs to more of a mutual respect because no matter how superior we think we are nature still has a way of putting everything in its place.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 7 months ago

"If we enter into its natural domain and are killed then it must be killed?"

Absolutely. Instructive how the 'enlightened' left view homo sapiens as intruders to be corralled and contained (or hunted, in onewhocares' contemptible fantasy) and somehow unconnected to the ecosystems it claims to revere.

I regard you as infinitely more valuable and relevant to the world than the bear. You, on the other hand, assign greater intrinsic value to wildlife than you do to human life. Not only is that breathtakingly stupid, it's borderline evil. I am left to consider you and onewhocares & your ilk as truly vile.

sassywoo73 2 years, 7 months ago

"Officers acted in accordance with a “two-strike” policy that allows them to euthanize bears that have been tagged for having human contact once before."
Although, I do feel it is sad the bear was put down, I think the decision made by those involved was the correct one. I have several friends and family in the neighborhood that have small children and pets. If anyone of you can guarantee, with certainty, the large bear would not attack someone, then you have a leg stand on but there is no way of knowing. Who's to say the bear wouldn't come back for a third or fourth time? Each time getting more and more comfortable. As a parent, I'm not willing to take those chances.

Had the bear harmed a pet or, God forbid, a child, then all would be blaming the DOW for not taking care of it in the first place.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 7 months ago

Most predators avoid people. Those that don't must be monitored, and, sadly, destroyed if they continue to encroach after having been relocated. An understandable policy only if one assigns a higher value to human life than to wildlife.

craignative 2 years, 7 months ago

The comment about the meat being eaten, the meat is not safe after the animal has been tranquilized for a period of time. So in all likelihood, the meat was destroyed.

Jobeth Haydon-Tupa 2 years, 7 months ago

@ Rebelgirl My opinion, would be that, unless you live in a tent, you have made the choice not to live with wildlife. Sad, a bear dies. However, the poor little bear, would have either intentionally, or not, harmed a human being in it's quest for food, as humanity is no longer a percieved danger.

Plant a tree, then eat a bullet, if in fact you really find nature to be more important. But, I suspect you won't, because that would be pointless, much as arguing over a dead menacing bear. That, my dear, is my opinion.

WrestlinRockies 2 years, 7 months ago

They should have called on the almighty bear slayer of moffat county to handle this one too..... oh wait, this bear was awake and had a chance....Sorry Richard, guess you will be waiting for another sleeping helpless creature to slay.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 7 months ago

Ah, the beauty of Nature:

If only we selfish humans could find refuge in Gaia's tender embrace and learn from her gentle tutelage...

Rebelgirl 2 years, 7 months ago

Cologirl its people like you that make me want to eat that bullet. Yes I would rather plant a tree. Its people like you that have no respect for a living creature that make me sick. Yes you almighty human. You rule all, everything must bow to you because you are the most important thing in the world. Good for you. And yes dear that is more than my opinion that is how I feel about humans vs animals, I have more respect for a dead bear than you.

Taxpayer 2 years, 7 months ago

Too bad we can't put a red tag on vicious humans and give them two strikes rather than three. I am sorry the bear had to be put down, but if he had lost his fear of humans, then he became too dangerous for the community.

siogo 2 years, 7 months ago

WrestlinRockies, you need to take the time to educate yourself about bears and bear behavior so you don't come off as a complete idiot. The bear you refer to was not sleeping when it was shot. It was not hibernating as some uninformed no it alls have assumed. It was not winter conditions and the country side was littered with fresh gutpiles from hunting season kills. The bear would not dream of hibernating with food still being plentiful. A fresh track was cut and the bear was followed to a hole/cave, probably one of many in his territory, and was killed while looking at the hunter. If you think you could get that close to a bear that large, ( He didn't get that big by being stupid) without waking him, you are an Idiot. Would it have been more ethical to smoke him out of his hole and kill him from across the canyon, or maybe shoot him with multiple tranquilizer darts and then chase him down in a vehicle and shoot him repeatedly with inadequate weapons with inadequate loads. You tell me. Maybe if you would think and and learn the facts before you open your big mouth you would not appear so ignorant. Probably not, you can't fix stupid.