Letter: Location for new fire facility is inappropriate

Craig has a new hospital complex and a new college campus just west of Moffat County Road 7.

Millions of dollars were spent on improvements for these two additions to the local community.

Now the community is being asked for a variance to this adjoining area for the purpose of building a structure that should be located in an industrial zone area, not next door to a hospital or college campus.

Hopefully our elected and appointed officials that will make the final decision on the variance have enough gumption to tell the Craig Rural Fire Protection District not only no, but hell no.

Pete Pleasant

Comments

cforevereyez 2 years, 8 months ago

Build it at the dump. That's the only place it belongs.

Thank you Mr. Pleasant! I very much agree with what you are saying. Not only do we have those two new businesses up there, but what about the people who have built homes on top of that hill over looking the proposed site? I wonder what they think of the whole thing. I know I don't want it there. I know that no site will be prefect for them to build on. Someone is always going to say not in my back yard, but what about that open field west of the Holiday Inn along highway 40? Or what about on first street near the new MJK site?

xrsareus 2 years, 8 months ago

Have any of you ever seen the training center in Rifle? Bet you drove right by it and didn't even notice. Can't be any worse then the old Signal Hill in looks or property values or any other entrance into Craig. Might just improve the looks.

craignative 2 years, 8 months ago

To xrsareus: The one in Rifle is not located next to a hospital. It is located in a business district. The homes near it are several hundred yards away.

Tammy Showalter 2 years, 8 months ago

Thank You Mr. Pleasant... however I think we all know how this will play out. At least you spoke up, I am ashamed to say I feel that speaking out would not serve my family well and I have to wonder how many others feel the same.

xrsareus 2 years, 8 months ago

Craignative You are right, Rifle does not have a hospital close. But you are wrong about the distance from residential developments. I looked at Google Earth. The distance from Rifles training building and the trailer park to the northwest is 775ft. The subdivision to the northeast is 860ft and one house is 636ft away. I then looked at the proposed site here. I do not know where the air intake is at the hospital so I measured from the center of the hospital to the south 740ft because the fire board stated 740 ft in their article and I think they did say the location would be west some also. The closest house in overlook is 1060 ft away. I know these are just approximate measurements. I really don't think the hospital is going to be too close.