Craig minors arrested Wednesday night for destruction of mailboxes

It was like a scene out of the movie “Stand by Me” Craig Police Department officers said Thursday when describing random acts of vandalism that occurred late Wednesday night.

According to preliminary investigative reports, three local juveniles — two females and one male — were arrested Wednesday for their alleged involvement in the destruction of at least 29 residential mailboxes.

Sgt. John Forgay said the three suspects, equipped with a “couple of baseball bats” and an undisclosed automobile, drove through the Woodbury Park, Pine Ridge and Ridgeview neighborhoods swinging at mailboxes.

Officers believe at least one more suspect may be involved and expect additional incidents occurred in other residential areas throughout the city.

According to a news release issued by the police department early Thursday morning, officers are encouraging residents who find their mailboxes have been damaged to file a report with the police department.

“In cases like these, people tend to replace the mailbox themselves,” Forgay said. “But we think these juveniles need to take responsibility for the damage they caused.

“We’re asking additional residents who have been affected to report it to the police in order to provide an accurate accounting of the damage for anticipated prosecution and restitution purposes.”

Charges have not yet been filed, Forgay said, but he anticipates the suspects will face criminal mischief and conspiracy charges.

Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.

Comments

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 8 months ago

My dad was a small town cop in the 60s. One night, the hellion son of one of the town's wealthier residents tied one on and boosted a car. Junior used the vehicle to take out all the mailboxes, fire hydrants, and dumpsters he could, before crashing the car thru a storefront.

Late that night, Junior's daddy showed up, laid a $100 bill on the desk, and asked my dad & his partner for the key to Junior's cell. After assuring Senior that Junior wouldn't be going anywhere, my dad & his partner agreed.

Senior let himself into the cell and beat the living snot out of his kid. They never had any more issues with Junior, after that.

ATaxpayer 2 years, 8 months ago

If I had participated in an event of vandalism, going to jail would be the least of my problems.

cory5611 2 years, 8 months ago

My dad would have beat my ass all over town as I was working off and replaceing every thing I hit with the bat. But now days if you spank a kid you go jail.witch is bullshit there is a diffrents between abuse and a good old ass whoopin and most parents know it

ATaxpayer 2 years, 8 months ago

My parents were my parents, not my friends. And bringing shame to the family name brouht on extra "chores" and strong discipline. Oh, things are not that way now and that's why these kids won't have to do any community service or anythings else.

ATaxpayer 2 years, 8 months ago

I agree that your suggestion is a great idea! My father would have determined the damages and what it would take to fix it, and I would have to do "work off" that debt at home, and my father would have made me go to each house, and pay the damages, or under his watchful eyes, make the repairs and appology to the owner of the property. My father was old school and proud of it. My entire neighborhood mothers and fathers were the same, and you would get a swat on the buns on your way out the door, and the phone was ringing when you got home, if the rules had been broken.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 8 months ago

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) - “I lie, I steal, I sell drugs, I don’t follow the law. ” That’s the sign one 14-year-old was forced to wear out in public Tuesday. http://www.wlfi.com/dpps/news/indiana/Copy_of_Teen-forced-to-wear-sign-as-punishment_4037015

Stunningly, someone called the cops to complain.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 8 months ago

This site has a nice selection of curbside mailboxes: http://www.mailboxes4less.com/curbside_mailboxes.aspx

Of the 10 displayed on the first page, the average price = $200 x the 29 they destroyed = $5800. I hope the judge isn't shy about imposing a 'worthless punk' fee over and above the restitution & court costs they'll have to pay. I'd love to see the final tally in the neighborhood of ten grand. Better hope Mickey D's is willing to hire reprobates to sling hash, you little a$$wipes.

native_craig_guy 2 years, 8 months ago

No worse than when the son of a local prominent business owner got away with planting a homemade pipe bomb at the Homecoming Bonfire a couple years back.

rodeo2012 2 years, 8 months ago

What they did was wrong, no doubt about that. But lets face the reality. While I strongly agree that there should be some form of punishment, do we really need to suggest that they "get their asses kicked"? Kids make mistakes, and while this is a larger mistake than others that us teens tend to make, nobody needs to be getting their "asses kicked" or wearing signs saying, "I'm a Vandal." Like I said, there should some punishments here, but lets not take it to an extreme, and I think the publicity is enough to make them not want to do it again.

rodeo2012 2 years, 8 months ago

And just because they made a stupid mistake, does not make them "worthless punks" or asswipes. So you make a mistake, who in this world hasn't done some stupid stuff. Regardless if this is a little worse than others, does NOT make them worthless punks.

rodeo2012 2 years, 8 months ago

Well, I suppose that is the difference between you and I's opinions. And thank you for the link, but I am quite aware of the mailboxes being governement property. Like I said, I do not think that this is something that "isn't a big deal" nor do I think they should get away with out a punishment. However, I think you're suggestions are a bit harsh, and your words, calling them punks and ass wipes are a little out of hand. Like I said though, that must be the difference between you and I's opinions. And we aren't the judge, or the DA so what do our opinions matter, anyway?

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 8 months ago

rodeo2012:

Credit where it's due: I'M the one who called them worthless punks and a$$wipes. And I stand by every syllable.

rodeo2012 2 years, 8 months ago

Worthless is very extreme. I just want you to think about that....worthless. Let that sink in. Now think about someone calling you WORTHLESS....

Ray Cartwright 2 years, 8 months ago

I am almost positive Ranger520 that the only way you will see the inside of a court room is if you are looking up at the Judge hoping they aren't to harsh delving out your punishment for going off the deep end and assaulting someone. Oops sorry there is that anger management training again.