Commissioner settles tax debt with county

photo

Tom Mathers

Moffat County Commissioner Tom Mathers settled his debt Wednesday with the Moffat County Treasurer’s Office for unpaid property taxes totaling approximately $11,000.

Mathers was delinquent in payment on four undeveloped, commercial lots he and two partners own near the Colorado Highway 13 bypass.

“I’m a busy man,” Mathers said Wednesday. “I’ve got a lot of irons in the fire — personal, business and county-wise — which keeps me really, really busy.

“My partner has always taken care of the taxes in the past and I’d like to thank the (Craig) Daily Press for informing me of my delinquent status, which I settled with the treasurer’s office this morning.”

Linda Peters, Moffat County deputy treasurer, confirmed Wednesday that Mathers’ tax balance is zero.

Mathers said there are many names on the treasurer’s property tax delinquent list, which he attributes to rising taxes during tough economic times.

“Some people look at me as being rich and I’m not,” Mathers said. “It goes to show that the down economy and high taxes not only affects people who are struggling to get by. … The economy affects all people.”

Peters said as of Wednesday there are approximately 120 names on the trailer, mineral and real estate tax delinquent lists collectively.

Mathers said he is confident people who are delinquent will get caught up.

“I know 99 percent of the people on the tax list will get paid up when they can,” Mathers said.

Peters said residents have until Nov. 2 to catch up on their taxes. Unpaid claims go to auction Nov. 3.

Mathers also owns three other properties in the county, including Mathers Bar, his home in Craig, and a ranch at Great Divide.

Taxes on those properties were made on time, according to the treasurer’s office.

Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.

Comments

native_craig_guy 3 years, 1 month ago

No one has ever accused Tom Mathers of being a model citizen.

btyjo77 3 years, 1 month ago

Come on people, he is human!!! Just because he was on the tax list doesn't mean anything about him as our commissioner, a father, husband, or friend. He still does his job in the same fashion whether or not he is behind on his taxes. Get a life and worry about your own taxes folks!

leroymcgee 3 years, 1 month ago

This guy is hilarious. He scapegoats "rising taxes" and "tough economic times" on the fact that he was delinquent in paying $11K in taxes? Nice try. You can't blame everything on our President, try taking some responsibility for your own actions.

fairshare 3 years, 1 month ago

How about another elected official who uses county time and resources doing on line sports betting while on "the job" at the courthouse.

cclarue 3 years, 1 month ago

Direct correlation is the lack of attention to anything, professional or personal. Sad part is that his profession is the fiscal responsibility of tax dollars paid by the rest of us. For an elected official to have this amount of disregard for his personal/business finances indicates something might be amiss with his ability to deal with county finances.

George Robertson 3 years, 1 month ago

To err is human, but the screw things up beyond recognition, you need a readers forum.

PersonalBlue 3 years, 1 month ago

Who the heck are you people? Names come up on that delinquent taxes list every year, to some folk's extreme embarrassment. I can only imagine how I would feel if my name showed up on that list. Have a little compassion for generally good people.

George Robertson 3 years, 1 month ago

Wow ranger, it must be nice to be so sin free that you always get to be the one to cast the first stone!