Governor orders flags lowered for National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service

On Friday, Gov. John Hickenlooper ordered flags be lowered to half-staff on all public buildings statewide Sunday in observance of the 30th Annual National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service.

Flags should be lowered from sunrise to sunset.

The National Fallen Firefighters Foundation and the Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Fire Admin

istration will honor 72 firefighters who died in the line of duty in 2010.

Seventeen firefighters who died in previous years will also be honored.

Fire departments across the country will conduct simultaneous services, lower flags to half-staff and observe a moment of silent tribute.

Fire Chief Bill Johnston said Craig Fire/Rescue will not be participating Sunday in the memorial by hosting or conducting special events.

Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.

Comments

Ray Cartwright 3 years, 2 months ago

must have to put out some wages to do that eh Mr. Johnston.

MattBeckett 3 years, 2 months ago

I find these posts amusing as a volunteer with Craig Fire I didn't need the Daily Press to explain the reason behind the flags being lowered this Sunday. I already knew.

I knew because those men and women who died protecting life and property and whom will join the 3,500 already honored at that memorial are in my thoughts more than one day.

The flag at Craig Fire will be lowered but the paper is correct we have no formal plan for honoring our brothers and sisters who passed but they will remain in our thoughts and prayers Sunday and beyond. Just for the record Craig Fire staffed an Engine with volunteers for the Colorado Fallen Firefighters parade and memorial in Denver earlier this year.

Sad that on a day meant to remember the bravery and courage of firefighters that some would question motives and criticize those in our community that chose to volunteer.

Matt, just because someone asks a question does not mean they are critizing you or any other firefighter. I thought you'd lived long enough to know that by now?? It was because of those fallen firefighters that I wondered why nothing was being done to honor them in Craig. Had the paper stated that your flag would be lowered at the fire house, I'd probably not have said a word, but when they quote Chief Johnston like that, I couldn't help but wonder what was going on. As for the other posters, who knows what they are thinking....well ranger makes it pretty clear, but that doesn't mean that all of the rest of us feel the same way.

Becky Plummer 3 years, 2 months ago

I meant no disrespect to any firefighter locally or not. I just want to know why we are not having a service like other towns?

MattBeckett 3 years, 2 months ago

I apologize if I over reacted to your question lonely but the tone of the blog had take a turn towards the negative.

Just for the record... I took at drive through Craig around 9am today and two flags were lowered. One was at Craig Fire Rescue and the other was at First National Bank of the Rockies.

xrsareus 3 years, 2 months ago

Lonlyone, You have posted on this fourm many times as I have, Now my question.... How many times has the Daily Press screwed up a story, not got all the facts and printed a story with the assumption that is what the interviewed person ment to say, not what was really said. It happens every week. I blame the reporter not the chief for the misunderstanding he printed.

xrsareus, you could be right. Maybe I should have thought of that, but I didn't. Still doesn't mean I didn't want to know what was going on. Plus there is the fact that I don't know when a reporter has messed up or twisted things around. Matt, it is a shame, that only two flags were lowered. A friend told me once that on a day when the govener had ordered flags lowered for a fallen soldier, she and her husband drove to different public offices in town and asked them why their flags weren't lowered. The responce they got was really sad. So now I'd like to say I wonder why the Chief was quoted like he was and why this town finds it so hard to pay respect to those to serve, like our fire fighters and our military. Have we become so self involved?? I fear the answer to that is YES!

xrsareus 3 years, 2 months ago

Metoo,

So what kind of service are the "other towns" having? What "other towns" are you refering to?

Becky Plummer 3 years, 2 months ago

xrsareus--I was referring to the article "Fire Departments across the country will conduct simultaneous services, lower flags to half-staff and observe a moment of silence.