The Packers’ Chris Scherbarth breaks out of the pocket Wednesday at Woodbury Sports Complex during the Doak Walker third- and fourth-grade football championship game. Scherbarth had a score on the ground and through the air to help lead the Packers to a 21-7 victory and a perfect 9-0 record.

Photo by Joshua Gordon

Packers’ teamwork, focus lead to Doak Walker 3rd-, 4th-grade title in Craig

photo

Riggin Meyer, of the Raiders, jukes past a Packers defender Wednesday at Woodbury Sports Complex during the Doak Walker third- and fourth-grade championship game. Meyer scored the first touchdown of the game, but the Raiders were unable to get back in the end zone, falling 21-7 to the Packers.

Results

Doak Walker third- and fourth-grade tackle football championship score from Wednesday at Woodbury Sports Complex:

First- and second-place game:

• Rehabilitation Services of Craig Packers — 21

• Masterworks Mechanical Raiders — 7

Darin White said he routinely instructs his football players to keep focused and work as a team no matter the situation.

When his team, Rehabilitation Services of Craig Packers, went down 7-0 in the second quarter to the Masterworks Mechanical Raiders during the Doak Walker third- and fourth-grade football championship game Wednesday at Woodbury Sports Complex, White didn’t stray from his message.

“I told them to go out and keep going after them,” he said. “The last time we played (the Raiders), we probably should have lost, be we got saved and scored a last second touchdown. We knew it would be a tough game, but I told the kids to keep working hard.”

On the ensuing kickoff, Luke Pleasant took the ball and followed behind a wall of blockers before cutting up the left sideline and sprinting into the end zone to tie the game, 7-7.

The Packers scored two more times in the second half and shut down the Raiders offense to score a 21-7 victory and complete a perfect 9-0 season.

“We were the smallest team coming into the season, so we had to play some players at positions they weren’t used to or didn’t necessarily like,” White said. “You shouldn’t have to put a 55-pound kid on the line, but the kids all did their jobs and didn’t complain. We utilized our talents all season to keep winning.”

Riggin Meyer, of the Raiders, scored the first touchdown of the game on a run of almost 50 yards to put his team up 7-0.

White said Meyer has been one of the best players in the league this season, so he really wanted his players to focus on stopping him.

“When you play a kid like (Meyer) that is hard to tackle, you have to make sure you wrap him up,” he said. “We weren’t doing that early on, but everyone started coming together to get him down.

“We knew it would be a nail bitter, we just needed to keep the pressure up.”

On the first drive after the half, quarterback Chris Scherbarth found Pleasant near the end zone for a passing touchdown.

After a defensive stand inside the Raiders’ 10-yard line, Scherbarth broke free on a quarterback keeper to put his team up 21-7.

“The kids are really smart and they ran some plays I wasn’t sure they would be able to,” White said. “We did some wildcat stuff and they adapted and learned from the get-go.”

White said he and fellow coach Bo Lyons talked to players all season about teamwork.

Teamwork, he said, was the difference maker.

“Teamwork was our motto all year long,” White said. “We wanted the kids to be able to rely on and help each other. They did a good job supporting one another and staying focused on what they wanted to do.”

Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.

Comments

Cory561156 3 years ago

All I can say is the kids played good but the refing was crap and a one sided event and if Lions ever told my kid he would come out and beat him I would be setting in jail for doing it to him these 2 teams played 3 games and the refing was just as bad the city of Craig needs to review the way they do things sin Cory Overton

ryandur10 3 years ago

Cory, Would you be interested in refing? We could use your help on the basketball court if you are in to it. Let me know if you want to help out.

Ryan Duran

BoLyons 3 years ago

First of all I would like to say is the City of Craig, the refs and everybody who VOLUNTEERS to help out with this program does the best job they can. A lot of work goes into getting these kids playing football in this league and setting them up for middle school and high school programs. Their are countless hours coaches and parents put into practices, games and meetings to help the kids learn how to play football. Their is no pay, and it takes away time with our familys. We do it for the kids and never complain about not getting paid for it. For the parents that sit on the sideline and critisize, complain, and whine about every little thing they see wrong with this program, step up! Volunteer your time and try to help, rather then make it worse. It is not as easy as it looks. Second, I am an emotional coach, I get just as excited and worked up as the kids. In the heat of the moment I may have said some things to motivate the kids on the team that did not sound good. Any one who knows me and has been around our team at practice or games knows I would never hurt any one of those kids. This is no excuse and I apologize for any thing that I have said that affended any one. These kids mean a lot to me. Most of them are close family friends, we spent bbq s together weekends and travel together. We do it for the kids. I may not be perfect and my coaching ways may not be the best in every ones eyes, but at least I try to help out. I would like to thank all the coaches, parents, refs, the Craig Parks and Rec, and every one else that volunteers to help out with this league. Great job, keep it up!

Bo Lyons

dogfan 3 years ago

As one of the volunteer refs, WE are not perfect. As stated in previous posts we do this for free. If you think you can do a better job volunteer next year. I'm sure Dave would have a spot for you. I didn't get to alot of games this year because of scheduling conflicts, but the ones I did do make me want to not do it again, but I will be there if needed. People that sit on the sidelines and complain about it should get out there and do it. One of the coaches of the game I was refereeing Tues night was one of the biggest jerks I have had to listen too and I have been doing this for 6 years. So if you think you can do it perfectly get down to parks and rec and get your name on the list for next year.

ryandur10 3 years ago

Bo and Dogfan...well said!! What is this critizing of coachs and officials teaching the kids of our community? Thanks to all that donate their time. Again anyone who wants to get involved there is always plenty of room. We are hurting for officials in all sports in N.W Colorado.

Cory561156 3 years ago

I do know what its like to donate your time to this town and the kids of this town and the people that do donate there time but in the three games these two teams played the calls were not called fair and thats not right and is not fair to the kids that tryed so hard on both teams

Lyons 3 years ago

I would like to Personally thank Craig Daily Press for posting such a great Artical about Youth Football. Kids thrive on seeing their hard work pay off and be noticed in the news paper. Both the Raiders and the Packers played good football all year. I would like to make an emphesis on the fact that not only do these coaches Volunteer their time and not get paid (as Bo Lyons stated above), they also pay full price for their own child to play. It amazes me the people that will stand on the sideline and complain about the coaches and the ref's, and take the time to bad mouth them all over town, but yet not lift a finger to help out. It takes alot of community involvement to have programs like youth sports. If it was not for each and every coach and ref out there volunteering their time, our children would not have sports to play. So I think a HUGE THANKS is in order to each and EVERY coach and ref for their time!!! Congrats to the Raiders for an amazing season! You guys us parents on the side lines sweating! You played good! Congrats to the Packers. You guys proved this year that being the smallest or youngest team, doesnt matter. It is all about practicing hard, playing hard, and working together as a TEAM! Way to go guys!

dogfan 3 years ago

Cory does that mean you are signing up to be a ref next year since you seem to be an expert at it? You sound like you know all about it, so maybe you would even be in charge of it and find the perfect refs that never make any mistakes.

Cory561156 3 years ago

Ok Dogfan, I am not saying that the ref's should be perfect. I know they make mistakes. I also know that knowone gets paid to do any of this and it is for the kids. Not sure where money came into any of this. I try to help out as much as my job allows me to. I try to help the coaches out every practice I can make it to, as did I last year. Unfortunatley I was not able to sign up to be a coach because I was out of state working when my wife signed my son up. I have never had a problem with any of the coaches of any of the teams either, I think that it is a great thing that they all do. I did think that Bo was out of line, but it was nice that he has appologized for making such statements. The problem I had was that the last 2 times we played this team the refing was completely unfair and I am not the only parent out there that seen it. Yes when we played other teams the ref's did not make every call either. But it was different when it was these 2 teams. Don't get me wrong the packers did great and worked hard just as hard as our boys. But don't think that I would not sign up in a heart beat if I could unfortunately my job does not allow it. I don't expect ref's to be perfect, but come on this was completely messed up. And I'm not blaming the other coaches either, my son has had Mr. White and Mr. Pleasant both as coaches before. And I'm not even saying that Mr Lyon's is a horrible coach either. I'm saying that if you are going to ref you need to try and make it as fair as you can. Not every time a team tells you that a horse collar happens or something like that, all you say is "I didnt see it." I know you can not see everything but it just seem like they couldnt see anything.

males4 3 years ago

You know, Cory, you do need to step up and volunteer....all I have ever heard you do is complain, both in hockey and football. And "knowone" is spelled "no one".

Cory561156 3 years ago

male4 who are you? Since you seem to know me so well. I do complain sometimes and I'm not going to lie about that. But I also do know that I do help out in hockey. Well so I thought. But according to you I don't. I try to do as much as I can. And believe me I am not the only one that complains during these sports either.

Heather Overton 3 years ago

Males4 do you actually have children in the 3rd grade 4th grade level?? Yeah didn't think so. So if you don't how do you know that the only thing Mr. Overton does is complain? Are you actually at any of those 3rd and 4th grader football games or practices? Or at that matter are you ever at his kids level of hockey games? I see that maybe he does complain but I don't see where you would know if he ever helps out or not. I am one of the other parents that did witness the practices of his sons team. And everytime I seen him there he was helping. And as for the miss spelled word, we are not in your class room. I didn't know we had to use you as spell check on here. Hope I spelled everything right.

netee 3 years ago

as a single mom whose 9 yr old played on this team and whose 23 yr old son also played Doak Walker Football let me say thank you to the coaches, referees and volunteers who make this possible for the kids. Dave, Brett and Steve thank you for reffing the game and doing a great job...I am glad it wasn't high school kids as it irritates me to see how they are treated..and if I misspell words..sorry bout it! But here is how I as a parent feel thank you to these men who take time out of their lives to work with our children and congrats to all the teams who participated this year and every year I went to alot of practices taking my kiddo and I seen you all out there working your tails off!! I am so proud of the Bad Dawgs (packers) they worked hard long hours and they earned this I am so proud of you all! I really hate that a great article on a great thing for our kids has to have so much yuk surrounding it...so thank you Dave and everyone at the city who organizes it, helps referee and coach and whatever else it takes...you are appreciated and as for the coaches Darin, Bo and Jeff thank you for all you did for my kid this season he had a great time!!