The investigation is finished concerning an incident at Craig Middle School in which students ate packing peanuts.
“We’re moving on,” Joe Petrone, Moffat County School District superintendent, said on Sunday.
The incident occurred during a science class Nov. 3, CMS Principal Bill Toovey said during an interview earlier this month.
“We discussed this matter with all the families,” according to a CMS news release issued Nov. 21. “These discussions between administrators, students and parents focused on communications, which might have led to the ingestion of biodegradable, non-toxic packing peanuts as well as future responsibilities of all concerned.”
The release added, “Details beyond these conversations remain the purview of personnel.”
Toovey was contacted for this story after the news release was issued, but he declined comment and referred further questions to Petrone.
The superintendent could not confirm Sunday how many students were involved in the incident or what grade they were in. He added that he did not know when the parent meetings took place.
It’s unclear why students ate the packing peanuts. The incident took place “during a class where a learning activity was ongoing,” Toovey said during an interview earlier this month.
He and Petrone declined to comment on what role, if any, CMS educators had in the incident.
Three people were seen in the hospital’s emergency room Nov. 3 for ingesting packing peanuts, said Jennifer Riley, chief of organizational excellence at The Memorial Hospital in Craig.
The patients were not hospitalized.
Neither she nor Toovey could confirm if the patients were students involved in the incident.
However, the release stated that administrators will honor the privacy of the students and their parents, “as this was a medical issue.”
Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.