Allen J. Hischke: Keep your yard clean

I would like to make an observation that is very true for many that live in and around Craig.

There are far too many people who spend far too much time surrounding their properties with monstrous heaps of junk.

They find the time to bring home yet another old car or camper or motor home, then spend a few days fiddling with trying to make it work, then let it sit and become another eyesore for the rest of us to look at.

They spend far too little time mowing their lawns, killing their weeds, and making sure their pets are in their yards and are quiet.

These same people complain when the streets don’t get plowed in the winter, or swept in the summer or the trashcan isn’t emptied.

But, they seldom worry if the trashcan gets tipped over, strewing its contents all over the street for someone else to clean up.

My hope is that some of these people will read this letter and finally decide to act like true humans and clean up their mess, and take care of their properties in a less slobbish manner.

Allen J. Hischke

Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.

Comments

lostyermarbles 3 years, 6 months ago

And quit going to town in your pajama's lazy people. And if you have soap and water Body oder people use it and deoderant so we cant smell ya.

I don't think everyone has to have a perfect yard, but I agree with Mr. Hischke, at least clean up the junk laying around. Pick up the trash that has blown out of your trash can. There are plenty of small things a person can do to make the yard look nice and it doesn't mean you have to hire a landscaper. I also agree with lostyermarbles, your pj's belong at home, not in the grocery store or resturants.

Ray Cartwright 3 years, 6 months ago

I am not in favor of Homeowners Associations but in the aspect of yard and property upkeep they do help there. I would never want anyone to tell me what color of paint that I could have on my house or how I have to get rid of that 46 Dodge Powerwagon. The city has a Code enforcement officer but it doesn't seem like they are doing the job that the taxpayers hired him for. It doesn't matter where you go in this community there is a well kept place right next to a dump. This is a representive government - you must talk to your representative to be heard - get off your butt and lets clean up Craig

JAHM 3 years, 6 months ago

Thank you all for being judgemental. I am not the neighbor in question in this case but find myself in PJ's at times to run to get milk for my children. I guess I will have to start dressing NICELY maybe even my Sunday best for my next trip to Walmart!! Maybe if people spent less time worrying about others they would have time to enjoy the area we live in and not find reasons to complain..... Just a thought!

Jon Pfeifer 3 years, 6 months ago

I think the Pajama thing might be generational. I don't think twice about seeing someone in Pajamas at the store or out and about. I remember when I was at college it was a very common thing to see. So don't worry about me Jahm.

As for messy yards, I honestly haven't noticed it that much. I'm not really a junk hoarder (and don't know anything about cars/engines), but I do have a lot of other projects I wish I could get to that I can't seem to find the time for. I suspect that what you see as "junk" is a neglected project for your neighbor.

Now, leaving trash strewn about becomes a sanitation issue (like leaving things that will hold pools of still water for mosquitos to lay eggs in). I think that's where code enforcement should probably kick in, but I'm not familiar with the codes.

JAHM 3 years, 6 months ago

this is JAHM's wife............to mr. ALS or shall I call you ranger520...........yes I know who you are and what your all about..............nothing in your eyes is ever good enough or done will enough. So could you PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! spare us all the whinning! and complaining!!!!, and the I am a man of god!..........yet turn around and point your finger and be as judgemental as you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from what I know about you, You have nothing better to do with your life than sit around and judge other people for who they are and what they do!!!! in my eyes you are the furthest thing from a man of god!!!! and need to take a step back and put yourself! in check before you start all your finger pointing, complaining and straight B*&^%ing!!!!!!! just a thought!

David Moore 3 years, 6 months ago

My comment was to JAHM's wife commenting about your constant whining about EVERYTHING!!! Amen to someone who puts my thoughts out there and well said because it is right on the mark. You expect utopia ALS36whatever/Ranger520/Allen J. Hischke, what you get however is reality and that just pi$$es you off doesn't it? Either live with it or move on in your life, the rest of us have, we certainly don't write whiny letters to the editor about it. What do you want, some snobbish, Housing Authority ruled, gated community lifestyle? HA, this is Craig and it has been this way for as long as I can remember, get over it already or relocate to utopia...good luck finding it. BTW, my yard and house are very well kept, I don't have animals running loose, junk lying around, and I am the quietest person in my neighborhood so you can take your "nasty yard" comment and.........well, you get my drift.

David Moore 3 years, 6 months ago

Never said that at all, I just said you live in a dream world and portray yourself as this perfect human who does nothing but point out the faults of everyone and everything around you, what a sad existence. I don't like trash, junk, stray animals and noisy people either, but I have learned to accept that it is part of life and human nature and go on living without stressing myself over someone else's problems. I don't look at the junk, listen to the constant mariachi music rattling my windows, and a paintball gun is a great deterrent for stray animals. I have adapted to my surroundings and I live with the comfort that I don't live like my neighbors do, which is all I need. Maybe instead of being the neighborhood curmudgeon you should get to know your neighbors, offer to help them and be friendly instead complaining constantly, it will certainly get you farther than being mean and accusatory. You should do that here on the forum as well instead of laying judgement on people you don't know anything about.

JAHM 3 years, 6 months ago

JAHM wife: We do not have a trashy yard!!! in fact FAR from it!!!!!.............from what I hear not only do you do a lot of B&^%ing on here but you do a lot of the same at your job!!!!!! once again you ARE NOT! A MAN OF GOD!!! all you do is sit back and judge, point your finger and make everyone aware of what their wrongs are and not your own, sounds like you do the same at your job as well, and trust me we do know a who you are and a lot about you lol!!!! thats what makes a lot of what you write so ridiculous!!! like I said some of the people on here may not KNOW who you are...........but we do! and im sure if people knew you and not just a screen name with words they would say the same..........already know a lot of people who do know you as well who feel the same about you and all your whinning and B&^%ing and that EVERYONE ELSE is in the WRONG!!! BUT NEVER YOU!!!. so once again FOR GOD'S SAKE AND ALL OF OUR SAKE'S PLEASE!!!!!! take your whinning and complaining and B*&^%ing somewhere else!!!! along with your letters as well!.

David Moore 3 years, 6 months ago

"You should follow your own advise!"

All I did was agree with someone and you judged me. You make it very well known what you don't approve of, ad nauseum, which makes it easy for the rest of us.

JAHM 3 years, 6 months ago

im not going to hide. I am Mrs. Fineran. Now you know who I am. I am not trying to make myself look like anything.....all I am trying to state is that stop worrying about what everyone else does with their lives and worry about your own! the only people that are making themselves look bad or look like they just dont give a rats butt! are the ones that do have the trashy yards!!!!! just because theirs is trashy does not mean that is going to reflect on you!!!!!!!!!!! so let it go! if those people choose to let their yards look that way then let them. Its not hurting you is it????? its not making YOU look bad is it????? NO! so let it be.

JAHM 3 years, 6 months ago

I am not someone who thinks looking trashy is a good thing!!!!! at all!! matter of fact everyone that knows me always asks me why im so dressed up at work! I take great pride in looking nice and clean and neat!!!!! and I do it well! I can't make other people do the same, im just not going to let those people that choose to live that way drag me down and ruin my day or put me in a foul mood!.