There’s plenty of entertainment to look forward to at the 93rd annual Moffat County Fair, fair board member Katie Wheeler said.
She said Aug. 12 offers a full night of fun at the Moffat County Fairgrounds not to be missed.
For the third year running, HOWL Rodeo Bulls presents Ultimate Miniature Bull Riding Competition at 7 p.m. Admission is $5 for children 11 and younger and $10 for those 12 and older.
The evening also includes mutton bustin’, catch-a-pig and chicken roping contests.
Following the show, Matt Buckstein — of “American Idol” fame — will perform a mix of covers and original songs for the crowd.
Before the entertainment in the grandstands, community members can enjoy root beer floats and a barbecue celebrating Moffat County’s centennial from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Aug. 12 at the covered picnic area.
Wheeler said she’s also looking forward to the Draft Horse Show joining the Moffat County Fair this year.
“It’s just neat to see how this teeny kid could make a big old horse go,” Wheeler said.
The show is scheduled for 9 a.m. Aug. 7. The horses will race and complete obstacle courses.
Wheeler said she’s perhaps most excited for the watermelon-eating contest, scheduled for 1 p.m. Aug. 13.
“I always get excited for the watermelon-eating contest,” Wheeler said. “It’s kind of funny to see grown adults pigging out on watermelon for a $50 prize. And the kids, they are just a hoot to watch.”
Throughout the fair, vendors will be set up to sell food and treats, and there will be live entertainment. One headliner is The Spoon Man, performing Aug. 11, 12 and 13. A musical comedian, his “clean” show covers bluegrass, rock, rap and big band music.
Other highlights of the 2011 Moffat County Fair include:
• Open Horse Show at 8 a.m. Aug. 6
• Fair Kick-Off Barbecue & Dessert Cook-Off with dance to follow at 5 p.m. Aug. 6
• Moffat County Older American Day Lunch from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 12
• Bingo from 4 to 5 p.m. Aug. 12
• Tractor pull at 9 a.m. Aug. 13 and 14
• Rabbit Fun Day at 10 a.m. Aug. 13
• Pet Rock Contest at 10 a.m. Aug. 13
• Cowboy Baby Contest at 11 a.m. Aug. 13
• Sheep Lead Contest at 12:30 p.m. Aug. 13
• Lawnmower races at 1 p.m. Aug. 13
• 4-H and FFA Junior Livestock Sale at 6:30 p.m. Aug. 13
• Dance sponsored by Moffat County 4-H Council from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. Aug. 13
• Open class entries — ranging from quilts to artwork — on display throughout the fair in the pavilion
• Plenty of youth and open class competitions to watch throughout the fair
Find a full Moffat County Fair schedule on pages 6 and 7.
For more information on these events and more, call the Moffat County Extension Office at 824-9180 or visit www.moffatcountyfair.com.
Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.