Barbara May: ‘Report responsibly’

First, I want to thank the Deserado Mine Rescue teams for a thoughtful fun day Wednesday. I had the pleasure of being invited by my nephew to come and watch the Deserado teams compete.

My nephew, Tyrel Bosick, was recently made captain of the Silver Team and he was excited for the Craig competition.

Sadly, he was the young man who was killed in an auto accident July 3 in Rangely. It was a shock and a devastating loss to his family, friends and coworkers.

Tyrel was an accomplished young man who was not only deeply loved but had the high respect of those who knew and worked with him. I am proud to say that the Silver Team rallied and stepped up to the plate, and I know Tyrel would tell all of you, job well done, as do I.

The men of Deserado have been a huge support to Tyrel’s parents, my brother and sister-in-law, and to the rest of our family and you will all have a place in our hearts.

Second, I would like to address the way the Craig Daily Press reported this accident. On Monday morning, July 4, just a few hours after Tyrel’s family had been notified of his accident, we find your article plastered on the front page. Family and friends as far away as Arizona read it.

We understand it is your job to print the news, but let me tell you that your article was described as cold, callous, sterile, insensitive and thoughtless, and some of your statements were uncalled for.

It was obvious that he was used as a poster boy for the Colorado State Patrol’s safety agenda — at the expense of those who knew him. In the future, when you print a story of this kind, I would ask the staff of the Craig Daily Press to please ask yourselves:

How would this article affect me if this was my child, grandchild, father, mother, husband, wife, brother, sister, uncle, nephew, niece, cousin, respected co-worker or best friend?

You are not just reporting a State Patrol report; you are reporting the loss of a life that affected many.

Please report responsibly.

Barbara May

(Editor’s note: The story described in the letter above was published in the afternoon of July 4 on the newspaper’s website. The story appeared on page 3 in print July 6.)

Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.

Comments

Zehnerbunch 3 years, 5 months ago

Thank you Barbara for writing this letter. I am in total agreement with you. This article was very upsetting to my family. Tyrel's life was cut short at the age of 21, but he accomplished more than a lot of older men. We love him and he will be greatly missed. Love and prayers to his Mom and Dad.

Deadhead08 3 years, 5 months ago

I dont feel that the paper made Tyrel out to be a bad guy! They were only doing there job, they report and print what people say and details of a story. The quotes in the paper were made by the state patrol! Tyrel chose to drive and risk the chance or wrecking. I feel this is a sad loss for his family. He made a bad choice. No one took away from him as a person in this article. If you didn't know who he was prior to the accident, after reading the article you would still have no idea who he was as a person. All they were stating is that he got into a fatal car accident. Sorry that you lost someone close but there is no reason for you to attack the paper. They are just doing there job and reporting what they were told.

georgebosick 3 years, 5 months ago

Well Deadhead, Barb did not say the paper made Tyrel out to be a bad guy, she was stating she thought they could have been more sensitive. As for the excuse of they are doing their job, they could do it better. More people have been humiliated and hurt by someone doing their job than most people will admit, perfect example, TSA agent fricks 3 year old for explosives! 90 year old made to take adult diaper off in public to make sure she is not carrying bomb! Where is the line drawn on I'm just doing my job. I would quit my job before I humiliated someone in that manner. Maybe the paper sould have printed the story in this manner.

21 year old dies in vehicle roll over possible cause alcohol and loss of control contributing factor. The family has been notified we will report later on this story after talking to family as to what they feel is appropriate. The Colorado Highway Patrol asks people to please be careful this weekend. So this is not an attack on the paper although I have very little respect for them or the CHP in this matter they need to think a bit more about how they respond. One last thought would your opinion be the same if you were to show your real name instead of an anonymous posting, I feel any one that plays the anonymous game is not much of a person, if you have an opinion stand on it with a real name it might carry more weight. To close I really thought that the editor might have at least put an explanation under Barb's letter with at least a sorry for your loss but no she was blown off without a second thought, maybe the Daily Press and CHP should take a saying that my son was fond of saying "man up you have a job to do".

Sam Relaford 3 years, 5 months ago

My sympathy to the family. It is always hard to continue on when you have lost a loved one, especially as suddenly as this accident was. George you really shouldn't condem a man for using an anonymous name. Some people are in a position where using there real names could jeopardize their careers or hurt someones feeling that may be close to them. I use the fat guy because I am a fat guy! LOL! Anyways I hope you and your family are heeling from this trajedy. I'm sorry for your loss..

georgebosick 3 years, 5 months ago

Well fatguy if a person is fearful of hurting someone or jeopardizing their career then what they are saying under anonymity probably should not be said. Being anonymous and writing or saying words under that premise allows a person to have no consequences for that statement. It's wrong

David Moore 3 years, 4 months ago

First off, my sincere condolences to you and your family, I hope that time soon heals your wound. Second, don't get to concerned over the anonymous thing, you will lose within this crowd on that issue as have many before you. I agree with you 110%, however you will not get anywhere on that topic in this forum.