Amanda Carrico: ‘Did nothing illegal’

As a Moffat County native, Colorado resident and avid outdoorsman and hunter, I am enraged at the attention being brought to Richard Kendall’s story.

The man did nothing illegal and yet the media and public have turned what should have been the highlight of his hunting career into a nightmare that could end his life as he knows it.

Currently, there is no law against den hunting in Colorado. It is a matter of public opinion as to whether or not there should be.

Nearly all of the accusations being made regarding Mr. Kendall’s kill are uneducated and bordering slander.

First of all, any bear hunter knows that male black bears typically do not den. Secondly, Mr. Kendall and every media source in the nation have said that the bear was tracked to the cave, which means the bear was not in a den for hibernation.

Furthermore, the word den needs to be defined because a bear could den anywhere, it does not necessarily den in a cave. It could be a draw, oak brush, or thicket that the bear deems necessary to “den” in.

Whether or not the law is sportsmanlike is also a matter of opinion left up to the bleeding hearts of the people who wish to infringe on all our hunting and gun privileges.

Lawmakers and the Division of Wildlife should have thought that law through a little better.

I am shocked that the people of this great state would succumb to the liberals who like to stir up trouble.

I do not reside in Moffat County anymore, but return every hunting season to participate in a sport that is the backbone of Northwest Colorado and the heritage of our country.

If you ask me, ranching for wildlife and road hunting violate the law of fair chase more than tracking an animal according to law, killing an animal according to law and caring for the animal after the legal take.

If the people of Colorado feel so strongly about climbing into a cave to kill a bear, new flash, don’t do it.

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? To this point, there is no evidence proving Mr. Kendall did anything outside of the law.

We are opening Pandora’s Box if we allow liberals and outsiders to infringe on the quality of life that we as citizens of Colorado enjoy.

Amanda Carrico

Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.

Comments

onewhocares 3 years, 11 months ago

Amanda,

You just don't get it !!! (btw, not that it matters, but I am far from liberal - quite the contrary.) The issue isn't legality, but ethics & integrity in hunting. You don't kill an animal that is trapped without a chance for escape-that changes the definition to "killing" without integrity. Hunting encompasses a lot more than pulling the trigger, such as: tracking, outsmarting the animal (despite its many ways to escape) of course respect for the animal that hopefully will be putting food on the table. Not killing a bear in its den, probably not eating its meat (since most don't eat bear meat) & then boosting about "what a great kill it was." That type of mentality hurts all the hunters that hunt with respect and honor.

GreyStone 3 years, 11 months ago

onewhocares,

Don’t forget a little compassion for the poor lion trapped in a tree, by vicious dogs, no means of escape, then shot to death.

Colette Erickson 3 years, 11 months ago

Yes, the DOW should revisit the lion hunting regulations and methods as well. The current practice is pathetic and cowardly.

JimBlevins 3 years, 11 months ago

I think that you are at least "bordering on slander" in your constant reference to "liberal" in your letter about bear hunting. I seriously doubt that you checked the political affiliations of those whose comments you don't like. Concern about sportsmanlike killing of bear sounds far more like a conservative than a liberal. Please keep your political inclinations out of an unrelated discussion.

Jim Blevins

amandacarrico 3 years, 11 months ago

That's where you are all wrong...I do get it!! I care as much about ethical and sportsman like hunting as the next. However, my concern is that he followed the letter of the law and that is still being held against him. If anyone dares to think that this is the first and only bear killed in Colorado in this manner...I think that you are dearly mistaken. We probably have not heard about them because they were not record bears. And by the way...bear is decent to eat!! I have been skunked many years hunting in my attempt to outsmart the animal in an ethical and sportsman like manner. Secondly, I specialize in Environmental Science and am as big of an advocate for the animal as the hunter. However, how do you consider fencing in elk and charging hunters thousands of dollars to have a guide "lead them in the right direction" so they can harvest an animal ethical. What started out as a good idea has turned into legalized hearding. You don't have to like me or my opinion but if it were you who had harvested a record animal lawfully...you wouldn't brag about it, however questionable your ethics may be? Him boasting about his kill is nothing compared to some of the bragging that goes on in any of the local bars and parking lots on any given night of the week during hunting season. Fortunately, for future bear hunters the law will be changed and we will be able to carry on with our lives. And by the way...I always check my sources. Do your homework...

ckamom 3 years, 11 months ago

If you are offended by the responses to this article in the Craig Daily Press, then you should respond directly to the paper. The article was written explicitly to get attention, without any respect for the hunter. Bullpoopy journalism.

onewhocares 3 years, 11 months ago

btw Greystone,

I totally think mountain lion hunting with dogs is totally crappy as well. I can't quite figure out how that is legal either.

daybyday 3 years, 11 months ago

He did hunt legally and according to the law, so still has his bear, and will still have his name on the record books, so nothing has been taken away from him. If laws are changed to disallow hunting bear in dens, nothing has been taken away from anyone and, in fact, most hunters won't be affected by it.

If anything could be considered unfortunate, it was that his name made national news and he took the objectionable opinions personally. However, trust me when I say people will remember the issue and not his name.

Laws don't destroy freedom and rights; laws define freedom and rights...and responsibilities. (Not liberal thinking.)

Linus2 3 years, 11 months ago

How that man killed that bear was wrong, and for him to brag about it is sick. What does it have to do with being a liberal?