Yvonne Henderson: ‘Keep up the good work’

We would like to give a big thank you to the Colorado Department of Transportation for Colorado Highway 13 north from Craig to Baggs, Wyo.

The highway is being taken care of very well. Now you know where the road is and the semis can stay on their side.

Please keep up the good work.

One question — why doesn’t the highway sign on road conditions work going south to Craig?

Thanks.

Yvonne Henderson

Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.

Comments

nightwatch 3 years, 10 months ago

i assume you are from baggs,,small town and a nice town if i am correct,,colorado dot is working on getting all the signs working,,but if you would tune in to the radio station that gives road reports and conditions you would not have to ask questions like this that bore me

Barbara A Smith 3 years, 10 months ago

You know nightwatch, if you are so bored with these questions why do you even bother to read or comment???

Gee, Nightwatch, I wanna know too. I would like to know why the state spent good money on these signs and many never have anything on them....ever! I'd also like to know who's big idea was it to do the wildlife signs on Hwy 13 going south to Rifle. Sometimes you can go 65 all the time and sometimes it is 65 with the 55 at night limit and sometimes it is 65 durning the day and 55 from 5 pm to 7 am from Sept to April, with fines doubling during the lower speedlimit areas.....and sometimes in the middle of all of that it could be 65 again. It is very confusing and needs to be changed so that it is the same speed limit the whole road from Rifle to Craig and on to Baggs if need be since I've not been on that road for awhile to notice if it is posted the same way too.

als362 3 years, 10 months ago

In my opinion the split speed limit has nothing to do with safety, it has only to do with the police wanting to hand out tickets in an easier manner than before.

lyhenderson 3 years, 10 months ago

Hey nightwatch,I have listened to craig radio,may it be there are times that 13-789 north had no road report,so what may be your next boring answer,also lonelyone go out and test the stopping time at 55 miles an hour,and do the same for 65? It is posted from craig to baggs 65 day,55 night. To everyone I was just saying a good honest thank you to-cdot.

nightwatch 3 years, 10 months ago

I DID NOT MEAN TO OFFEND YOU LYHENDERSON,,I COMMENTED IN A WRONG WAY,,,, MEANING THE STATE HAS ALWAYS SAID THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER ABOUT PUTING MONEY INTO THE STATE HIGHWAYS FROM THIS SO CALLED LOTTO FUND,,,,.THE ROADS DOWN HERE BY GUNNISON NEEDS JUST SOME SIGNS,BY THE WAY,,WYO IS A VERY NICE STATE,,TAKE CARE

xrsareus 3 years, 10 months ago

Lonelyone, I drove from Grand Jct. to Craig today, you are right the signs are a mess to understand what is the correct speed to be at so you don't get double fines. I found this on the CDOT web site. http://www.coloradodot.info/news/2010news/10-2010/new-legislation-sets-201cwildlife-crossing-zones201d-to-protect-drivers-and-wildlife Read the whole article you will see who was resposible. I had contacted CDOT here in Craig and in the main office for this area in Grand Jct. last Oct. when I first noticed the signs. None of them could give me an answer as to why all the different speed limit changes. I have lived here my whole life and know to slow down when it starts getting dark but it is nowhere dark at 5:00 now or in March or April and not dark in Sept. until alot later. Why only 55 when it is light out. Some areas are 65 day 55 night, some 65 day 55 night and double fines and some are 65 day or night and double fines. If they are really concerened about the wildlife and not the money from the fines, it would be the same speen all the way 65 day 55 night. Now from Craig to WY it is stll 65 day and 55 night with no changes. Also from Craig to about mm 100 on 40 is a wildlife zone also. In Oct. I suggested to the Daily Press editor to do some investigation on this new law to get some clarification, but I just guess there are to many other important news stories to write about.

xrsareus 3 years, 10 months ago

Just to prove CDOT doesn't have a clue what's going on... In the link I provided in my last post. Look at the first chart. They show a Wildlife Zone from mile marker 68 to 88 on highway 13 as "south" of Meeker. I know the mm start in Rifle at mm1 and Meeker isn't 88 miles away. Mm 88 is just south of Craig.. They don't have a clue.... Ok Daily Press do your job and keep us informed.

lyhenderson, I never said I didn't understand why they did the difference in speed limits from day to night. I know you have a better chance of avoiding hitting something at the lower speed limit. I complained about the craziness of the way things are posted......Make it all uniform, so we as drivers know what's going on. I know that we will get use to it if they do nothing to change things, but what about the poor tourist or someone just passing through our neck of the woods to get to Wyoming or Utah? Seems to me it's just a different form of a speed trap!