A mobile home in the 600 block of East Fourth Street caught fire Friday afternoon in Craig, displacing a family of three.
The fire was reported about 1:39 p.m., and Craig Fire/Rescue responded to the scene with about 18 firefighters.
Firefighters had the blaze extinguished within an hour, but chief Bill Johnston said the home was a complete loss.
Johnston said the home caught on fire when family members attempted to use an “external propane heater to thaw out a water line.”
Family members attempted to fight the fire, but were unsuccessful, firefighters said.
Neither the family nor firefighters were hurt in the blaze.
The scene was cleared by 3:52 p.m.
The Craig Police Department and The Memorial Hospital’s Emergency Medical Services also responded to the scene.
Johnston warned against using similar methods to thaw frozen pipes.
“When the weather gets cold and plumbing is not properly insulated or protected against freezing, sometimes people choose methods that are not the safest,” Johnston said.
Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.