What makes the Bible different?

Sixty-six books, written by 40 different authors over nearly 2,000 years, and yet the message is seamless throughout.

The Bible, the best-selling and most widely read book of all time, is in nearly every home in America. It is unlike any other book — it’s alive and totally relevant to our lives.

In His first coming, Christ fulfilled some 150 prophecies and hundreds of specifications with amazing accuracy. This is unlike say, Nostradamus, whose quatrains are vague, general and could be construed to mean almost anything.

I have picked just three of these prophecies (Christ’s birth, betrayal, and death) to examine. The odds of any one individual fulfilling them by random chance are truly astounding.

The prophet Micah in chapter 5 verse 2 predicts Jesus would be born in Bethlehem, which of course he was: “But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah. Yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel.”

Compare this with Mathew 2:1: “Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea.”

The prophet Zechariah predicted the betrayal of Jesus in the 11th chapter verses 12-13. “And I said unto them, if ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price 30 pieces of silver. And the Lord said unto me, cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the 30 pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the Lord.”

Consider the various details that had to be met to fulfill this prophecy: Jesus would be betrayed for precisely 30 pieces of silver, not close to 30 or about, it was exact. They would give the money to a potter and the transaction would take place in the temple.

Now compare this with Mathew 27:3-10: “Then Judas, which had betrayed him … brought again the 30 pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders. … And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple. … And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter’s field.”

We find that this prophecy was fulfilled with uncanny precision.

Was this coincidence, or an accident? I don’t think so.

Psalm 22 is a picture (in advance) of the crucifixion of Christ. It begins with what sounds like a direct quote by Jesus on the cross: “My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?”

Compare this with Mathew 27:46, when Jesus cried out these very words from the cross. Just a coincidence, you say?

Continuing in Psalm 22 with verse 14: “I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels. My strength is dried up. … They pierced my hands and my feet. … They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.”

See Mathew 27:35: “And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots.”

This is a perfect picture of the crucifixion process that was written 800 years before Christ and 700 years before crucifixion was invented by the Persians and later adopted by the Romans. The mode of capitol punishment in Israel was stoning — they knew nothing about crucifixion.

In verse 6 of this Psalm, it states “I am a worm and no man.”

The Hebrew word for worm is “towla,” though it is often translated scarlet or crimson. The worm referred to in the Hebrew is the Coccus Ilicts from which they got crimson dye.

“When the female species was ready to give birth, she would attach her body to the trunk of a tree. She was fixed so permanently that she would never leave again. The eggs would hatch and the larvae would feed on the body of the adult. When the mother died she would leave a crimson stain on the trunk of the tree. After three days the spot would turn white and fall off.” This is from “Biblical Basis for Modern Science by Henry Morris.

Isaiah wrote, “Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson (towla), they shall be as wool” (Isaiah 1:18).

People say, “You can’t prove the Bible.”

I beg to differ.

Volumes could be written documenting thousands of Biblical examples of supreme design that is absolutely impeccable. These are not generally noticed by the casual reader, but are revealed to those who would conduct a diligent search.

As Jesus spoke through the writer of the Psalms, “In the volume of the book, it is written of me.”

Click here to have the print version of the Craig Daily Press delivered to your home.

Comments

GreyStone 3 years ago

Then we have Easter, the capitalist festival, celebrating a pink rabbit that lays chocolate eggs and stuffed toys out on the lawn.

George Robertson 3 years ago

Yes, and the reason the Easter bunny hides those eggs is because he doesn't want everyone in the barnyard to know he's been messing around with the chickens!

GreyStone 3 years ago

I did say Capitalist, I think. Didn’t I? They did this to the Easter Bunny.

native_craig_guy 3 years ago

There is no dispute that the bible is the top selling fiction novel of all time. I thought that it was pretty funny that Mr. Mosbey said that Jesus had fulfilled 150 prophecies which were foretold. The only reason that we are "aware" that the prophecies were foretold was because we were foretold in the same novel. I am just saying that it is very convenient that the bible was constructed (originally compiled by Roman Emperor Constantine to appease the battling Christians and Pagan Sun Worshipers) to totally support all essential plot elements that were deemed crucial to the story, while other books were left out. I look forward to a day when the Craig Daily Press has some real news to publish and doesn't have to fill their paper with aimless, repetitive religious rhetoric. The Bible is a collection of stories and anecdotes (presumably the persons in the story were real people) which is more aptly comparable to Aesop's Fables. The Bible (and any other historical religious texts, chiefly the Book of Mormon, Torah and Qu'ran ) are the only "Books of Truth" that come without references or footnotes. There is no way to prove, or similarly disprove anything in those texts, so we must take them as truth?

taxslave 3 years ago

If you want to know what is going on and who the players are read the Book of Enoch and Book of Jashar.

Both books are referenced in scripture but the romans took them out.

There are another 24 books referenced in scripture, 3 works of solomon, that are still missing to this day.

They are being held in the basement of the vatican.

PatrickHenrysRevenge 3 years ago

Thanks for that passionate, unwarranted defense of the Christian Bible, but it's message is quite far from seamless, and this can be proven in under 30 seconds.

However, every point gets lost in a flood of interpretational, doctrinal, and frankly opinionated debates to MAKE it make sense, because after all, if the deepest fabric of your life is made out to be illogical, most people will freak. Even Benjamin Franklin knew this; people need a reason to be alive and not be a jerk because they aren't taught how to find one for themselves. Thanks, society.

In the end, we can always rely on magical Faith to make it all better. Faith > reason, according to the Bible, no matter how detailed you make your explanations for the bible being the factual truth. That's the best part, is that you argue the proof of a religion completely, wholeheartedly, and unashamedly founded on Faith with science and logic? That's like trying to prove the existence of your childs imaginary friend through experiments. Good luck on that road, sir.

Lawspecialist 3 years ago

I look at it like this..... if Christians are wrong; They have absolutely NOTHING to lose, but if non-believers are wrong? They have EVERYTHING to lose.

native_craig_guy 3 years ago

Law Specialist- Nice Tribute to Voltaire. Another good one from Voltaire is "God Created Man, Man Created Religion"

Though, my favorite is from Seneca, "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, the wise as false and by rulers as useful".

Lawspecialist 3 years ago

Uh, if Voltaire said it, I don't know about it nor do I care. That is something my mother used to say to non believers all the time; from my youth and until the time of her departing she said it. It makes perfect sense to Christians and hopefully plants a seed in those who aren't. Before you accuse people of quoting something, you should be factually sure of their source. I personally feel Volatire had a big mouth and would intentionally spew forth nonsense without thinking it through. Voltaire was a critic of most religions but the Catholic religion most of all. I'm not Catholic and I don't take most men seriously who have a womans middle name... François-Marie Arouet = Volatire. heh

daybyday 3 years ago

Seneca was a brilliant thinker who also said the following:

"Each reign must submit to a greater reign."

"Everything is the product of one universal creative effort. There is nothing dead in nature. Everything is living and the whole world appears to be a living organism."

"Life is the fire that burns and the sun that gives light. Life is the wind and the rain and the thunder and the sky. Life is matter and is earth, what is and what is not, and what is beyond in eternity."

"God is the universal substance in existing things. He comprises all things. He is the fountain of all being. In him exists everything that is."

"You must live for another is you wish to live for yourself."

"So live with men as if God saw you and speak to God as if men heard you."

"Nothing is void of God. His work is everywhere."

I end with Meister Eckhart who said, "The soul must long for God in order to be set aflame by God's love; but if the soul cannot yet feel this longing, then it must long for the longing. To long for the longing is also from God."

daybyday 3 years ago

I forgot Benjamin Franklin was mentioned in this thread also, he said this:

"...I have lived, Sir, a long time and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth -- that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid? We have been assured, Sir, in the sacred writings that "except the Lord build they labor in vain that build it." I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without his concurring aid we shall succeed in this political building no better than the Builders of Babel: ...I therefore beg leave to move -- that henceforth prayers imploring the assistance of Heaven, and its blessings on our deliberations, be held in this Assembly every morning before we proceed to business, and that one or more of the Clergy of this City be requested to officiate in that service."

and in his autobiography he said this,

"Sunday being my studying day, I never was without some religious principles. I never doubted, for instance, the existence of the Deity; that He made the world, and governed it by His providence; that the most acceptable service of God was the doing good to man; that our souls are immortal; and that all crime will be punished, and virtue rewarded, either here or hereafter."

Thank you for the reminders of these men of history.