Craig man charged with 40 felonies

At a glance

• A 29-year-old Craig man charged in Moffat County District Court with:

— Three counts of sexual exploitation of children, a Class 3 felony.

— Four counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, a Class 4 felony.

— Thirty-three counts of sexual exploitation of a child, a Class 4 felony.

— One count of indecent exposure, a Class 1 misdemeanor.

• Suspect currently in custody at the Moffat County Jail.

A 29-year-old Craig man has been charged in Moffat County District Court with 40 felonies including sexual exploitation of children and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, according to court records.

The suspect, whose name is being withheld in accordance with newspaper policy to not name people accused of sexual-related offenses unless convicted, is charged with three counts of sexual exploitation of children, a Class 3 felony; four counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, a Class 4 felony; and 33 counts of sexual exploitation of a child, a Class 4 felony. He is also charged with indecent exposure, a misdemeanor.

An arrest warrant for the man was issued June 25.

Moffat County Sheriff Tim Jantz said the man was booked into Moffat County Jail on Aug. 28. He was arrested in Mesa County and later transferred to Moffat County, the sheriff said.

Charges were filed Aug. 26.

According to court records, the Craig Police Department began investigating the man in April after a report of alleged sexual abuse.

After interviewing witnesses, a warrant was issued April 8 to search the man’s bedroom.

Police confiscated two laptops, two cell phones, 47 DVD/CDs, seven VHS tapes and a digital camera, according to records.

Thirteen of the DVD/CDs allegedly contained downloaded photos of young girls either barely clothed or nude, according to records.

A second search warrant was issued April 20 to search one of the laptops and one of the cell phones.

Numerous images and videos of underage girls were allegedly found on one of the laptops, according to records. The cell phone also allegedly contained images of girls, according to records.

On May 18, 72 additional images allegedly taken from the man’s bedroom were brought to the police department. Thirty-eight of those images allegedly contained photos of underage girls.

Also according to records, the man has been involved in three previous reports involving underage girls.

He was issued a summons for third-degree trespassing for peeking into a 6-year-old girl’s window.

The records also indicate at one time he also had a 14-year-old runaway girl and 15-year-old runaway girl staying at his residence.

Craig Police Department Commander Bill Leonard said the department is actively investigating the case and working with several other agencies.

The 14th Judicial District Attorney’s Office is prosecuting the case.

Comments

twin2175 3 years, 7 months ago

Great, Another Craig citizen charged with disgusting acts against children. Please tell me that he will not blame this on the city, and how we corrupted him. Please do not tell me that he is also an illegal immigrant that will stay in our legal system for years.

Tammy Showalter 3 years, 7 months ago

what IS SAD is that we are not allowed to know who it is, unless we contact Denver.....and even those who are convicted of these crimes still are allowed to live near schools. I wish they would have kept this person In Mesa county.

ColoGeezer 3 years, 7 months ago

What is really sad is that there are victims of these crimes... We are curious adults though and, since this is a small town, can easily find out who the suspect is by talking to neighbors and friends. The victims and families in this case, or cases rather, don't need their names thrown around in the newspapers to embarrass them. If the suspect's name was printed, most likely we would be able to easily guess who the victims were. We need to be able to respect their privacy in this terrible matter.

I'm just willing to bet that Mesa County didn't want him in their area either.......

David Moore 3 years, 7 months ago

Not only does it protect the victims and their families, but it also prevents him from being strung up on the Courthouse flagpole by a vigilante public. There needs to be an island way off in the Pacific ocean dedicated to holding this type of scum and keeping them away from the normal people. a banishment to said island for life would be appropriate.

RichardBarbosa 3 years, 7 months ago

There is no good reason for the CDP to refuse to print his name, because he would not have been arrested in the absence of subtantial evidence amounting to probable cause. It is not as though someone just made up a single, unsubstantiated story, and the accusation is in the slanderous "rumor" category. Oh, please.

The accused perp is only 29. I am extremely interested to know about this guy's family, childhood neighbors, teachers, minister/priest/Imam, coaches, piano teacher, Cub Scout and Boy Scout leaders, etc. It is clear that this young guy has been molested for many years, so who did it to him throughout most of his tortured childhood? Now, that is the interesting question I'd like to have answered.

Ray Cartwright 3 years, 7 months ago

"There needs to be an island way off in the Pacific ocean dedicated to holding this type of scum" I am thinking that was attempted a long time ago. That Island was Australia

RichardBarbosa 3 years, 7 months ago

It should not be long before people actually know the identity of this perp. Everyone who works in the court system already knows, the jailers know, and only one of them has to tell a spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend the guy's name (contrary to the policy of the CDP, the identity of the perp is not a matter of privacy), and that person tells one friend or co-worker, and then everyone in Moffat County knows. It will happen by the end of the weekend. When it does, will someone please click onto my screen name to send an email telling me? Thank you.

nightwatch 3 years, 7 months ago

angelbratt had name on here the first night and it was taken off

Harlan 3 years, 7 months ago

I reported the posting and requested that it be removed. angelbratt had no right to violate the victims rights for privacy. Curiosity is normal. Total disregard for the families under stress was a sad choice. I will also report any other names that are posted.

RichardBarbosa 3 years, 7 months ago

Harlan, you appear to have jumped right off the deep end here and made a quantum leap that has no connection to any of these comments.

You posted the following: "angelbratt had no right to violate the victims rights for privacy." Of course, protection of the identity of victims, especially minor victims, is the standard.

Every poster on here except you is discussing the identity of the perp.............. and there has been no mention of the victim(s).

Please read more carefully before you start slamming posters right and left, huh? I repeat, will someone please click onto my name and email me the name of the perp? I have no interest in learning who the victim(s) is/are.

Freedom of the Press trumps any alleged or imagined privacy right that a criminal Defendant may imagine he has in preventing his own name from being published. Seems obvious, doesn't it?

Harlan 3 years, 7 months ago

This is not about your perceived right to satisfy your curiosity in knowing the criminals name. I stand with the CDP and appreciate their attempts to shield the victims and their families. As stated by numerous other replies, the families are in a time of crisis and deserve privacy to begin the process of healing. Publically posting the criminals name does nothing to support this process. It only serves to aid the curiosity seekers “need to know”. What is your purpose in knowing the name?

RichardBarbosa 3 years, 7 months ago

Harlan, you are still confused. In the first two lines of your recent post, you mention the "criminals (sic.) name" and also "attempts to shield the victims and their families". Do you know what "victim" means? Do you know what a "perpetrator" is? Why do you continue to confuse the accused and the victim? If you are confused, pull out a dictionary, and that should help to clarify things for you. If your alleged "confusion" is deliberate, then I have to wonder why, and for what purpose you are doing that.

My purpose, you ask? My "purpose" or interest is no different than anyone else's in the general public. The public has an interest in knowing the name of the accused, and the names of the criminally accused are not private. His first appearance in County Court was not private; his formal entry of a plea will not be private; his preliminary hearing will not be private; all of his District Court appearances will be public; his trial will be public (that's just how our criminal court system of jury trials work, so if you don't like it, you are in the wrong country); and his sentencing will be public, possibly televised in large part.

What is your purpose, Harlan, in pretending on this thread that the criminally accused has a privacy interest in keeping his name a secret?

Now I am extremely curious about your particular interest in shielding the name of the accused. Is he your brother, son, son-in-law? No one thought to wonder, but your peculiar behavior here has made the questions inevitable. Whatever the accused perp's relationship to you, it gives you no authority under the law to demand that his name be shielded.

Again I reiterate that no one is seeking the identities of the minor victim(s).

RichardBarbosa 3 years, 7 months ago

Here you go, Harlan. I just discovered that Mesa County and Moffat County are working together to investigate this case (so there may be more info in the GJ Sentinel); numerous nude photos of underaged females were located at the accused perp's home in Craig; and the investigation continues for more victims.

Now do you still believe, Harlan, that the parents of 12 to 16-year-old girls in Craig have no interest in this matter? If I were the parent of a girl in that age range who did not happen to have her nude photo taken by this 29-year-old, I would want to be able to talk with her to determine whether she has information to report to the police to assist their investigation and to begin the healing process for my daughter.

It is a sad, shameful day, Harlan, when citizens such as you believe that the criminally accused have more rights than the victims, the parents of victims, and the public in keeping their children safe. Shame on you, Harlan, for attempting to shield the wrong person: the accused.

Harlan 3 years, 7 months ago

You cannot see the obvious connection with printing the accused name and the possible impact on the families of the victims? There is a connection. This is a small town. Once known, well-meaning persons, and curiosity seekers will contact the families through a process of elimination or guessing who the young victims are. These families do not need a side show going on while they are in distress. Allow the families to seek the comfort and resources that they determine are most beneficial in their time of need. This has nothing to do with protecting the sick individual as you have stated. It is about protecting the privacy and respect of the families involved. I believe that both counties will thoroughly investigate, and contact any persons who could have possibly been victimized. That is their sworn duty. I am the parent of two daughters. It’s natural for a parent to fear their own child may have been victimized also. Talk with your children. If you suspect anything wrong, contact the authorities and provide the information in an effort to aid the investigation. I am not at all confused in regards to victims and the accused. My support is for the victims and families. You appear to be consumed with knowing the accused name. I will give you the benefit of doubt that you fear for your own children and desire this information as a type of comfort to insure your own family is not part of this tragedy. Please take the time to contact the local authorities or victims advocates for your own piece of mind.

RichardBarbosa 3 years, 7 months ago

Harlan, I have a short response for you, and then I am done wasting my time on you, because you obviously are motivated in this instance to protect yourself or someone close to you, and you exhibit no interest in the protection of the community. If your neighbors know your identity, "Harlan", they likely are disgusted with you and your self-centered motivation.

1) The accused perp is 29 years old, therefore of majority, and law enforcement does not conceal his identity. Please cite the statutory or case law that indicates that accused felons in small towns get some preferencial treatment over those in cities, based upon the size of the community. Your claim is preposterous.

2) Read the article. The accused perp has done this before in other jurisdictions, so your attempt to convince the reading public that he had one victim, and that victim is his own daughter and therefore easily identified, is entirely without merit. In a balancing test between the interests of the community in assisting the investigation of the crime by identifying more victims, and the interest of protecting the identity of the child-victim by refusing to identify the perp, the community interests should prevail.

3) I estimate that your continued postings have nothing to do with your concern about several dozen victims, who will never be named. Instead, your concern appears to be very personal. Is the accused perp your son or grandson? If so, his name will not be concealed, and none of his Court appearances will be closed. In all likelihood, we will see his mug on the evening TV news. We will probably see you standing right behind him among the spectators.

Harlan 3 years, 7 months ago

RichardBarbosa - thank you for agreeing to no longer waste your time on me. It is appreciated. I do owe the other contributors here an apology. I gave RichardBarbosa the benefit of doubt and should not have done so. For this I ask your forgiveness. Based on the contributor's responses, I now believe that this person has no compassion for the young victims and is searching out of curiosity and/or a need to gossip. The finger pointing and accusations in RichardBarbosa’s replies above leave me no doubt. If this were my child, my priority would do everything possible to protect and heal my child, while comforting my wife and other children. My focus would NOT be outside the home at this time. I would NOT want additional person’s trying to complicate the healing process for my family.

David Moore 3 years, 7 months ago

Don't worry Harlan, you are not in this by yourself and no apology is necessary. I am curious as well why RichardBarbosa so vehemently needs to know the name of the accused. What good is knowing that going to do at this point...he's locked up? He has yet to be proven guilty in a court of law and until that is so, he will be kept from the public therefore keeping the victims identities safe as well. No, I am not related to or friends with the accused, I am just using common sense. Curiosity seekers, embarrassment and ridicule are not what these families need right at this point, let them have their privacy to deal, heal and help their children regain some form of normalcy once again. Their childhood is over RichardBarbosa, stained by some pervert with a sick mind...you can't tell me you don't realize that the victims would be identified if the perpetrators name was made public? I'm sure the families are well aware they will have to come forward at some point to help put this guy away but for now they need to be left alone, anonymous and free to walk this city without finger pointing, staring and whispers. You all know the benefits of anonymity right? Give the families the same respect that you demand right here. Enough people know who this guy is, some have information not privy to the public...yet, so just be patient and it will all come out soon enough, the families will then be heroes and the zero will be gone. The worry about him being out prowling around is mute as he is locked up and will not be able to afford bail, you even stated that fact in a post above RichardBarbosa:

"He's not going to be strung up on any flagpole. In all likelihood his bail is in excess of $100,000, and he has no one to post the 15% cash, and no one to put up their home as collateral on the balance. He is sitting alone in a cell, because accused child molesters will be gang-raped, sometimes murdered, by their fellow inmates."

So just relax, let the law do it's job and stop wasting so much energy here arguing over something you have no power to change. This guy is going to go away for a long time and hopefully the things you've said about what they do to child molesters in prison is true.
Then justice will truly be served.

RichardBarbosa 3 years, 7 months ago

David Moore, you have it dead wrong. I have not lived in Craig for many years, and in all likelihood do not know the accused perp.

A minor purpose of my comments is to protect my loved ones who are in Craig, minor because they do not fit within his target range for victims, but much more so simply to be a voice for the general public and the community of Craig. The community in fact does have the right to know, despite your convoluted reasoning about how you are proponent of secretiveness.

What are you going to whine about when the preliminary hearing is public?..... when the jury trial is public and televised?..... when the sentencing hearing is public and televised? Huh?

David Moore 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't know what you are protecting, he's in jail!!! What are you so worried about? I am not a proponent of secretiveness but in a town this size where people know everything about everyone, it is important to keep some things under wraps until the proper time comes to reveal it. Finger pointing, whispering and staring at victims is not right no matter what your "convoluted" reasoning tell you. I, you, nor anyone else need fear this creep because he is behind bars.

"The American Criminal Justice System does not work in secret, or behind closed doors, unless the accused perp is a minor. Of course, the identity of a minor victim is always a secret." That is the biggest laugh of the day, the behind closed doors part that is...what planet are you from?

"What are you going to whine about when the preliminary hearing is public?….. when the jury trial is public and televised?….. when the sentencing hearing is public and televised? Huh? " I will whine about nothing because this will be the proper time for it all to come out. In the meantime, leave the victims be and let the police do their jobs.

"The only ground that legitimately justifies keeping the accused perp's identity a secret is if disclosure would jeopardize the ongoing investigation. That is the ONLY legitimate ground. All your other gobbly-goop is nonsense." Gee, do ya think that might be why they are not revealing his name???

"The more a couple of you attempt to hide the information that should be public, the more curious I am to know why. I don't have a dog in the fight. I am just curious about what you are hiding." I explained in my previous post why, and that is the only "dog in the fight" I have, other than an ongoing investigation. I have nothing in connection with this jerk-bag and if I caught him messing with my kid there would be no jail, trial or prison(except for my own)...just a funeral. I also have absolutely nothing to hide so fire away with more of your well thought out assumptions.

RichardBarbosa 3 years, 7 months ago

Daivd Moore, there is a lot about criminal matters that you appear not to understand. Prior to conviction, the accused perp is "behind bars" only until he posts bond. Do you even understand the purpose behind the judge's setting of a bond? Subsequent to conviction, the perp is "behind bars" only if that is his sentence.

Harlan 3 years, 7 months ago

Trying to find some common ground here. (Is it possible?) Allow the victims their privacy. RichardBarbosa - if the need to know is burning you up, go to the Public Safety Center and ask. That should satisfy your curiosity. All I ask is that you act in a compassionate manner and not post your findings here. As DavidMoore pointed out, that posting could jeopardize the ongoing investigation, or even the trial. Would you want to risk this scum walking free?

nightwatch 3 years, 7 months ago

evidently privacy was thrown out the door when he violated the young girls privacy,,,?????? what comes around,,,,goes around

emmaredmond 3 years, 7 months ago

You don't know the story behind this 29 year-old in custody right now. He WAS sexually abused as a child, by highschool bullies. Possibly even more than that. Help was never sought for this individual and this is what happens. His family still lives in Craig and are possibly just finding out about all of this. There's two sides to every story. You do not have all the facts. He obviously needs some serious mental help if he was abused himself and then believed it was ok to continue it. I urge, not only for the victims, but also for his family, please do not post his name on here if you find out. Also, he is innocent until proven guilty. I would be worried about the sex offenders that are loose on the streets around Craig. If this man is in jail, worry about the one that's possibly in your neighborhood living right next door. I won't put any names in here, just keep that in mind

wellwell 3 years, 7 months ago

emmaredmond,

You do bring up a strong need in any community, the need to understand those in need in our community. When we see a youth or person out of norm of our community first seek understanding. This individual maybe unusally bright and quirky, like a geek. (Like Bill Gates) Don't you just love them to be around when you need computer help?

This person may have just had a bad day and can't react normally. It might be a bad week or an on-going problem that they can't control. We have all been there. If we can realize their problem, this it is human, and more importantly, humane approach.

Early recognition,understanding and therapy may have helped in this or other personal problems experienced that caused tragedy in our community. If we as a community can recognize these problems in others is a start, We probably need training how to provide help to get that person to the proper help or need to contact those that can help.

There should, and can be, someone that recognizes the need for help. Let's start here, Be aware and care.

RichardBarbosa 3 years, 7 months ago

1) That is exactly what I posted on Sept. 9th, i.e. that this man had to have been sexually abused in order to turn into a perp.

2) There is still more to it than sexual abuse on a couple of occasions by high school bullies. We have not yet heard about all the abuse.

3) I am not a bit surprised that this accused perp did not confide in his high school counselor once he reached MCHS. Take a look at the two counselors over there, and then tell me whether you see anyone who is decent, caring, compassionate, and trustworthy regarding such an important confidence. I would not tell either of those rude women anything, and neither would my grandchildren, who attend MCHS. That is the price a district pays when it employs two rude guidance counselors. The students do not get the help they need! Once Colo. tenure goes down the tube in a few months, the MCSD can clean out the nasty, rude deadwood in that office without fear of retaliation.

4) Friday was Constitution Day. If anyone believes that our 1st Amendment Freedom of the Press means that anyone embarrassed by the news of their crime needs to be protected from having his/her name published, then that is further evidence of the Dumbing Down of America. Every M.D. who loses his license, every bank president who is charged with embezzlement, and every cop who is charged with spouse abuse is deeply embarrassed to have his/her name published. In the United States, the embarrassment of an accused perp is not enough to prevent publication (except in Craig, Colo. apparently). If you do not understand that, please re-read (or just "read" for the first time!!!) our Bill of Rights so that you appear just a tinier bit better informed.

wellwell 3 years, 7 months ago

Richard,

I sure do agree with you about the prepitrator. He should not be kept from embrassament for the felonies committed. As an adult he is resposible for his choices and his actions carried out by his choices. During his investigation he may have to undergo psychiatric testing to judge his ability to make socital decisions as an adult. He is now under investigation, by law presumed innocent. Upon judical law he will judged guility or innocent by the laws that we as citizen's majority support or seek to amend/change thru due process.

On point 3 about the couselors at MCHS, I have no knowledge of their decency, caring, compassion, trustworthiness of confidentiality, rudeness, tenure status, or deadwood nature. I'm just not informed. What I do encourage is that all people be aware of all people that they come intact with for signs stress in the extreme or prolonged. Counselors, teachers, classmates, and parents need not wait for a person come to them. Be aware and care. As Richard suggests, don't be deadwood due to your tenure, don't be rude instead be decent, compassionate, trustworthy and remain confidental. This a good sensible set of Ideas for all. Writers on this discussion also should abide.

I believe my motto will become:

Be Aware and Care.

nightwatch 3 years, 7 months ago

DAVID MOORE ???? I KNOW ABOUT DAVID BUT MOORE IS FICTION I BELIEVE...QUIT SCRATCHING NOTES ON HERE YOU HEAR AT THE EMERGENCY ROOM,,,WE WOULD PREFER YOU DO YOUR JOB AND TAKE CARE OF THE PATIENTS INSTEAD ??????

RichardBarbosa 3 years, 7 months ago

Wellwell, I said nothing about confidentiality. Presumably these counselors must keep matters confidential, or they would not have lasted long enough to become rude and nasty deadwood. They are spiteful, dishonest gossips, but there is no reason at all to think that they gossip about matters told to them by students in confidence. I have no reason to think that that has ever happened. Kids hear the counselors gossip in the hallways about faculty, however, and it is unlikely that a student would risk telling anything important under such circumstances. A student at MCHS would be more likely to tell a coach, because the coach has earned the student's trust.

Also, all school personnel, including guidance counselors, are mandatory reporters. Just like hospital personnel, all teachers, counselors, principals, paraprofessionals, etc. are required by statute to report to social services/law enforcement, any incident that they see or hear regarding child abuse. No mandatory reporter is required to "investigate" the matter first to see if there is more evidence that the abuse actually happened before they report it. They just report any and all incidents of abuse.... physical, sexual, etc., and if they do not report, they are criminally liable.

xrsareus 3 years, 7 months ago

This is how they do it at the Montrose paper....

"Man accused of seven sex offenses"

Staff Report Published/Last Modified on Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:12 AM MDT DELTA - Police are keeping a tight lid on Monday’s arrest of a man suspected of multiple sex offenses.

Roy Nelson, age not given, was arrested on suspicion of seven counts of sexual assault on a child by one in a position of trust. Each allegation is a Class 3 felony.

Nelson is free on a $60,000 bond, say Delta Combined Courts records. But his arrest affidavit has been sealed, and investigators weren’t commenting on the circumstances of the alleged crimes.

District Attorney Myrl Serra declined to specify whether the case involves one reported victim or more than one, saying that, too, was sealed information.

Investigators still are working the case, said Delta Police Chief Robert Thomas. “We will be presenting our case to the DA in more depth,” he said.

Thomas also said he would keep people informed as the case proceeds.

Nelson returns to court in Delta next Wednesday.

David Moore 3 years, 7 months ago

"david moore ???? i know about david but moore is fiction i believe…quit scratching notes on here you hear at the emergency room,,,we would prefer you do your job and take care of the patients instead ??????"

Great, another whacko who thinks they know me. What business is it of yours what I do in my own home on my own time? You obviously have no clue who I am or what I do...can't even get the job right. Emergency room...hah!!!

My final post on this issue is this: I have no clue why the CDP will not post the name of the accused but it is their policy not to do so, my presumption was the protection of the innocent, however, that is obviously not as important as people desperately needing to know who dunnit. We do not own the paper, therefore we do not make the rules regarding how they publish it and we do not have the power to change those rules . I will have to just live with that fact, I don't understand why everyone else can't.

nightwatch 3 years, 7 months ago

DAVID,,I AM SORRY ABOUT THE POST,,,I HAVE YOU CONFUSED WITH DAVID MOORE HERE IN JUNCTION THAT WE EXCHANGE STORIES WITH,,,AGAIN,,I AM SOORY,,HAVE A GREAT DAY,,,,,,TW

David Moore 3 years, 7 months ago

OK, apology accepted and I am sorry about the whacko comment. My biggest pet peeve about these forums are people who think they know you when in reality they have no clue whatsoever. I get pretty steamed about it and tend to lash out when I should just shrug it off. Has something to do with the anonymous thing I guess. Funny thing is that the whole post hit pretty close to home, you are 75% right on, not about me but someone else. Have a great day yourself.

emmaredmond 3 years, 7 months ago

Wellwell Thank you I agree. I wish there was something more that could have been done for this individual. Before this happened he was quite nice, or seemed to be. There needs to be someone who can recognize these signs, and when a person does recognise signs of something wrong who do they tell? I also happen to know a victim and the mother is distraught. Again, someone she knew. She is afraid the backlash of people finding out the identity would be horrendous. It's a small town, but it wouldn't take long to put two and two together. Just wants to protect the kids.

wellwell 3 years, 6 months ago

Previous Posters,

Having posted on this discussion, I would encourage you to look at a letter to the editor:

Kathy Bockelman: Good People Wanted

on Thursday Sept. 23rd. Here is something that could be done to help the abused children. If you are ready to put some action behind your words, I'm sure she would welcome your help. The call for help has gone out.

Are you willing to help?

Her telephone number and email are included in the letter.