Letter to the Editor: ‘You Scan’ not useful

I was shopping Thursday night at City Market and the time came to check out. I did my usual and went for a checker over a machine, or “you scan” as these evil machines are called.

It dawned on me I should write a letter on my views.

Why should I save a little time by going through a machine that is designed to put people out of work, especially in this day?

One person can operate four check stands. Impressive? Down right disgusting in my book. Is that extra five to 10 minutes once a week really so important to people that they can’t have an actual person help them?

By letting someone check you out, they stay busy, thus more checkers are needed to meet demand, creating more jobs for people.

How would you feel if you lost your job to a machine? Not only will there need to be a checker, but in a lot of cases, there needs to be a bagger as well.

Here’s another good example: Do you go to Walmart for oil, air, fuel filters, spark plugs, and batteries? Why not go to a parts store like Napa, Checker, Victory Motors, Cook Chevrolet, or Craig Ford, and get the basic parts you need? At worst, it may take a little extra time and cost a little more, but that little extra money and time spent can mean a job for someone who is trying to feed their families, and pay for their homes.

I urge everyone to consider this and give it a try. I work more than 50 hours a week and don’t mind taking the extra time to get checked out, and I buy most of my parts, including oil and filters, from a parts store instead of looking it up myself at Walmart.

It isn’t an inconvenience at all. Even paying inside with your credit card for gas.

How hard is it to give that extra push for people to help make jobs?

If 50 people spent that extra five to 10 minutes once a week at the store in a check stand, once every two or three months in a parts store, or once every week or two in the gas station, imagine how much it will appear that they need people working there and not a do-it-yourself catalog or machine.

Remember, people have hearts, souls, lives, and families. Machines don’t. So once again, I ask, how would you feel if you lost your job to a machine?

I urge everyone to take that time and spend an extra dollar, or maybe two, to make sure that your friends and neighbors are around to do the same for you.

We don’t need a government bail out. We are the bail out. Come on Craig, let’s jump in and help each other and spread the word and encourage others to do the same.

Charlie Williams

Comments

abc 4 years, 3 months ago

Very well said...I couldn't have said it better myself. How many others feel this way?

als362 4 years, 3 months ago

I will leave the merchandise on the counter before I use a self check out. If a store wants my money they better have a human being there to check me out.

Cole White 4 years, 3 months ago

I am going to have to disagree with abc and als362 on this one. I can understand your point of view that it does stink when people are replaced with technology, but that has been happing for the last few thousand years.

It use to take a 100 people to pack food and belongs as we migrated from one area to the next and then some person said "what if get one of those horse things to pack stuff....they are like way bigger than me and could carry twice as much." So they captured one and the rest is history. The same goes for things like fire, the wheel, steam engines, the whole textile industry (we use to weave stuff by hand......employed lots of people in their homes), manufacturing, computers, etc, etc, etc.

The You-scan is great for a few items where you want to get checked out and on your way and don't want to wait behind the woman with four kids and full cart trying to pay with a combination of an out of town check, change and fifty coupons. Supermarkets are having to compete with convenience stores too these days not just other super markets and if the experience isn't quick and pain free you'll likey go get your milk from the Kum and Go because its two gallons for five bucks because they have lower overhead and can charge less on somethings.

Automation usually replaces tasks done by humans when those tasks are very simple and can be done by almost anyone or anything. Yes it is true that City Market doesn't have to employ four additional checkers but they also bought those machines that had to be manufactured by people, transported by people, set up by people, programed by people (etc) and now you have a product that is useful and inovative that helps people get quicker service and they can help control costs and don't have to have a bunch of extra checkers standing around doing nothing (and if you've ever run a business you'd know that the last thing you want is people standing around doing nothing) just so you can make sure that the guy picking up a loaf of bread after work doesn't have to wait in line for fifteen minutes when the family is waiting at home with dinner on the table.

I say "way to go City Market!"

David Moore 4 years, 3 months ago

Excellent post highway1340. I use "you scan" at City Market all the time to avoid just the situation you described and I love it. Can't count how many times I was in a hurry, before self scan was placed, and the checker is going over each product, in detail, with the customer...what it does, why they use it, how much they use, etc.... some people actually have lives to live and need to get on with it. Besides, patience is something I lack, therefore I am always looking for the quickest way. As far as buying automotive supplies from Wal-Mart, when the parts stores come down to match Wal-Marts price, no problem, but they haven't. I buy my parts from NAPA, have Precision Automotive work on my complex projects, Big-O keeps the rubber fresh, Conoco keeps the exhaust clean, and Yampa Auto Body fixes the bent up parts and keeps my vehicles looking pretty. With that I feel entitled to save a few dollars by buying my oil, filters, wiper blades and the like at Wal-Mart. Like I said in a previous thread, I spend 90% of my pay right here in town using local businesses. Like it or not Wal-Mart is a business that employs locals, therefore I am helping pay those locals by shopping at Wal-Mart...making it a local business. Even in health care the surgeon is slowly being replaced by a robot called the daVinci: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da_Vinci... TMH will never have one as they cost millions to own and use, but have your gallbladder taken out(aka Cholecystectomy) in a major health care facility, and it might be possible that the daVinci is doing it. Currently it still takes a surgeon being in the room to operate it.....but advances in technology will soon make the actual human unnecessary. It's called progress and, like 1340 said above, it has been happening for thousands of years. Where have you been?

cag81625 4 years, 3 months ago

Last I heard, City Market/Kroger was a union shop. It's hard for me to imagine that anyone was actually put out of work by the machines.

cag81625, City Market in Steamboat and other areas is (are) union, but the Craig store is not. So yes they could have someone laid off by having these self checker. I say tho, if you don't want people to use them, then have more checkers on duty to check people out. I hate waiting in line for my few groceries behind other's with full carts. If I have a bunch of groceries, then yes I will use a checker. Otherwise it is gonna be self check.

Tammy Showalter 4 years, 3 months ago

any time I can help myself, I will...including looking up a filter # to save $$. I have kids to feed and raise, every penny counts.

cag81625 4 years, 3 months ago

Lonelyone- I was going off of this story, is it misleading as to the union status of the Craig City Market? http://www.craigdailypress.com/news/2...

cag81625, that is a confusing story if you ask me!?? It does make it sound like all City Market stores and Safeway stores were affected. I just know because I've asked our local clerks, that Craig's City Market Store is NOT union. At least it wasn't MANY years ago when I asked about it and I don't think that has changed.

cag81625 4 years, 3 months ago

Appreciate that, Lonelyone. I don't know anyone who works there myself. I reckon if the folks that are there say they are not union, that'd be the story, but that's not the sort of thing I'd think to ask of the clerk whilst checking out (or the attendant at the uscan for that matter!). It would be interesting to get the inside scoop on the impact of those machines from someone who actually works there. It's usually my experience that those that know most about something like that are the ones who say the least about it.