Potter: Don’t believe the slander

Tuesday’s mail included two ads against Scott Tipton that were full of lies.

The ad said Scott wants to “add to our crushing tax burden by adding a new 23 percent national sales tax to the cost of everything we buy.”

The truth is that this proposed tax is not “added” — it is to replace the income tax — a much fairer way than the present inconsistent and convoluted system, which takes thousands of pages to explain.

The ad said Scott “voted against measures to balance Colorado’s budget three times, and against creating a rainy day fund to protect Colorado’s tax payers.”

He did not. He wants a balanced budget, and he wants to create a rainy day fund.

The ad said he “pushed a plan that would have drastically underfunded the military.”

The truth is that Scott wants to decrease all government programs by 10 percent, except for the military.

It sounds like the Democrats are so desperate to get John Salazar back to Washington, D.C., that they are willing to resort to outright lies to do it.

Is that the kind of people you want in Washington? We have enough trouble trusting them already.

Rosemary Potter

Comments

jamcolo 4 years, 1 month ago

I don't believe any of the polical ads in any press.All of them are full of half truths at best.

But Scott Tipton is a young earth creationism supporter.He would place “intelligent design” in tax-funded schools.

Republican Scott Tipton is backing off his answers to a tea party group's survey in which he said he thinks the country could do without the Department of Education and the election of senators by popular vote.

In a 48-question, yes-or-no survey by the Southern Colorado Patriots Club, Tipton answered:

Do you believe we need a Department of Education? Tipton, NO Do you believe the 17th Amendment was a good thing for America? Tipton- NO Do you believe America should seek God's favor? Tipton-yes .Do you believe in the concept of "Hate" Crimes? Tipton-no .Do you believe Christian prayer should be allowed in public schools? Tipton-yes .Do you believe the Earth's climate and temperature fluctuation is caused by man? Tipton-no .Do you believe we should drill for oil & gas anywhere we can? Tipton-yes .Do you believe in Term Limits? Tipton-no .Do you believe we need a Department of Education? Tipton-no .If elected, will you vote the way you have answered these questions, regardless of your party's position? Tipton-yes

He is just another science denier.

No more republicans till the party figures out to leave religion out of government. It hurts me to say that because I miss my republican party.

taxslave 4 years, 1 month ago

It's religon that destroys everything. Only the spirit leads to all truth.

als362 4 years, 1 month ago

Religion destroys nothing, but heals everything.
Those that have nothing better to do than degrade others beliefs and tenets is what destroys everything. Only God leads to all truth.

jamcolo 4 years, 1 month ago

Tell that to the abortion doctor gunned down in his own church. Tell that to the mothers and fathers whos children killed themselfs over the bullying for being different.

All hate of homosexuals comes from religion.

T066J 4 years, 1 month ago

@jamcolo - - No, all hate of homosexuals does not come from religion. Religion does not teach hate. The hate comes from the majority in society who do not tolerate the deviant homosexual lifestyle nor accept it in their lives.

jamcolo 4 years, 1 month ago

Tell that to the faithful that keep going to gay pride parade handing out anti homosexual biblical leaflets.

It's happening all across the country.

I google it if ya don't believe me. http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&tbs=vid:1&q=christians+at+gay+pride+parade&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=christians+at+gay+pride+parade&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=4b5d8bc0c31314ec

als362 4 years, 1 month ago

I think what we have here is someone that for reasons unknown to many, believes what the liberal press has to say.
I do not know of any believer in God that hates people for their personal preferences.
They might oppose them, and/or protest them, but hate is the wrong word to use.
And I don't need Google or anything else to tell me that is absolutely true.

eieiolrighty 4 years, 1 month ago

I totally agree with als362. Anyone who is a Christian knows that it is not our job to judge. I do not agree with a lot of things but I don't hate those that do them. I believe it is very unfair to say that it is religion that is causing the hate. I think people would like to blame it on religion just to keep it out of schools, government, etc... Maybe if we had more religion, people would learn to be more tolerant of others believes, maybe we would try to be a more pleasing society instead of so hateful to others different than us.

hikingincolorado 4 years, 1 month ago

I am just glad that there are so many people who are different and we are not all the same, that would make this world a very uninteresting place. It is refreshing to find, listen and grow from varying points of view, and life experiences.

However, it is sad when there are social injustices and when they remain unchallenged or unchecked, these injustices create bullies and allow them to gain strength and move amongst us in the community. For some, calling out these individuals can help all involved, however, when the community chooses to turn a blind eye because the person being picked on is “different” than what we see in the mirror and is allowed to continue; we as an overall community have failed.

The real question is why intolerance is allowed to continue through acts of violence both here in the U.S. and around the world? Why don’t we address what creates hate and examine why is it embraced in certain circles in which that person chooses to be a participant?

Much unhappiness in this world results in condemning whole communities of people and is typically rooted in ignorance and fear and unless new or different information is shared in a non-threatening way, the unhappiness grows in time to hate and rage.

Frankly, I don’t believe that hate is rooted in religion; however, I do believe that raw historical facts do reveal the horrors that have taken place over the millennia are a result of intolerance unchecked, both in religious and non-religious circles.

I am a spiritual person, don't follow a particular dogma and I don't understand intolerance. I have little tolerance for those who are intolerant…LOL. Now I know someone might come back and label me with a derogatory term, or that I need to find something that will make me happier, but frankly I am pretty darn happy and those who know me would say without a doubt that I would give the shirt off my back to help out and do travel far and wide to volunteer when a person is in need. My kids and I are not financially well off, but we do know what makes life good, and that is good hearted and caring community, one that is accepting of all. Whoever you are a child of; won’t we ALL be better off when we all finally realize we are ALL in this together?