Letter to the Editor: Trash an eyesore

I really don’t care much about what my neighbors’ yards look like or if they have a lot of what I might perceive as junk, but the bags and piles of trash setting outside a older trailer house on North Yampa Avenue is really starting to gross me out. This is one of the ways people come to Craig, and I can’t imagine seeing it would leave a positive impression.

North Yampa is not the most picturesque area of Craig with all the warehouses, scrap car lots and odd houses mixed with trailers from the ‘70s and many reminders of the past, but adding massive piles that looks like a dumpster was turned upside down does not help the aesthetics of the neighborhood.

My best guess is someone was evicted and their belongings were set outside, which is sad. I did see two ladies going through the stuff shortly after it was parked at the side of the road. My next guess is they are long gone.

I understand landlords are forced to kick people out, but who’s going to clean it the mess? The property owner should but it has been there going on two weeks and every day it gets more scattered by animals. It is a state highway. Should CDOT or how about the city? And why should either be responsible? Maybe some group might want to take it on, although it’s not really a beauty project it certainly would tone down the ugly some. I’m really sick of looking at it and would be willing to help clean up — anybody else?

Lois Wymore

Comments

GreyStone 4 years, 2 months ago

For Those unfortunate visitors arriving in Craig for the first time by way of North Yampa , there must be a moment of great angst, dread and disgust at the blight devouring the land on both sides of the road.

North Yampa is a sprawling, vast dump which gives a first time visitor a very negative impression of the community.

wellwell 4 years, 2 months ago

Call Code Enforcement at 824-8111, be proactive. I'm so glad that you do complain. Complain at the City Council meeting personally or call the council. If you don't like what's being done, or not being done, complain to the city or county by phone or at their meetings. Make your representives aware of their duty to represent us and follow up that they get it done.

P51 4 years, 2 months ago

Wait a minute! You mean that road going north from the sand rocks to the City shop isn't the official City dump. Holy Cow! I thought that was where everybody who lived within the city limits dumped their trash. I thought the reason it was so messy out there was because it was a place to take trash. I am going out there and look again and see if I can see people living in that stuff. If I see people there I will talk to the city next week.

Lois, I am so glad you wrote your letter to the editor. I just traveled North Yampa not to long ago and had to take my husband back to show him the mess. I too have wondered why it is all there, but it seems to me that Code Enforcement should come along and tell the land owner to clean it up. If he or she has to be ticketed or billed by the city for the clean up, then so be it. I will not however bash every home and every person who lives along North Yampa. Yes there are many old homes and many of them need alot of TLC, but if you slow down a bit and look at the east side of the street, there are some decent homes along there. If you think North Yampa looks bad, take a drive through Shadow Mtn.

David Moore 4 years, 2 months ago

I have seen this mess as well and am ashamed that travelers have to see it when arriving from the north. North Yampa has actually improved "slightly" over the years I have lived here, there was a time it looked much worse. The small park and the houses along the east side(as mentioned) aren't bad and have added to the improved look. It still needs major work but sit back and look at every entrance to this town. They all could use some spiffing up, north Yampa is not the only one. I'd be happy to help clean it up, however, I would want free access to the dump and I don't want some neighbor or homeowner calling the police to have me arrested for trespassing or theft. Somehow the city would have to get involved, clean it up themselves or let us do it with those two conditions. I have a truck, if my two conditions are met I will help provided it is done when I am not working.

als362 4 years, 2 months ago

I don't understand why people think they should be given some special priviledge of having free dump use when the rest of us that keep our places picked up and neat must pay for it each time we go. I think if you keep your property messy you should be cahrged an extra fee at the dump just because the rest of us have had to tolerate your desire to be messy. That extra fee should be used to prosecute those that choose to leave their mess for the rest of us to look at. If you can't keep your property clean and picked free of junk, then you should not be allowed to own property. Condemn it and give it to charity. Boys Town and Habitat for Humanities come to mind immediately.

David Moore 4 years, 2 months ago

You obviously have no clue what this discussion is about als362, please read the letter to the editor and the following posts before commenting. People are willing to take the time to make it right and you come on and berate the effort, classic. All I did was offer my help, it's not my mess but if I am going to help pick it up, I am not going to pay to dump it. Why should I? With that type of outlook it will stay there until it is scattered all over the place making north Yampa that much more appealing...not!!

als362, I'm thinking DavidMoore is not the owner....just offering to help clean it up. DavidMoore, I'm not real handy sometimes but I'd help you as much as I can if the City would give you a "get out of dump" free card.

David Moore 4 years, 2 months ago

I live on the opposite end of town from this mess and have nothing to do with it other than offering to clean it up. My apologies to als362 for coming off harsh, just annoyed someone would think like that.

wellwell 4 years, 2 months ago

Well, as I posted earlier, has anyone that has seen this themselves called Code Enforcement at 824-8111? Or call a councilman to complain.

David Moore I'm with you. Let's be proactive and call it in and offer to pick it if we can get a free pass to the dump. I have not seen it , but will look early Monday and call it in. Do not just complain, demand action thru authority and offer action.

wellwell 4 years, 2 months ago

Lois, David, Greystone and All,

I called 824-8111 this morning after viewing the MESS on Yampa Ave. above 13th St. I offered to pick up the mess. The Code Enforcement officer called back within 15 mins. She informed me she was aware of the problem and that she thought the property owner was going to clean it up. I offered my help and she said she would call if help was needed. She was very nice, informative, and concerned. She informed me that to protect the owner of the items, protect the property owner, and the people that clean it up legal procedures have been set up.

I also suggested that she could write an informative item in the Craig Daily Press about the problems and the procedures for clearing up the issues. From her response I believe she'll do this. I believe this is the right way to to solve the problem, but it is slow, Sadly we must be patient. If renter had.......... If the property owner had...... If Code Enforcement could..........If we could......

David Moore 4 years, 2 months ago

Thank you for your efforts wellwell. My offer still stands if needed.