‘Deer are wild animals’

This is regarding the

deer problem.

Our 2-year-old grandson recently walked around the corner of our house and two deer bolted and came within inches of knocking him down and trampling him. The deer are wild animals and will react as wild animals.

The deer diseases are spread by their waste. If a person or kid plays in the city parks, school lawns or any other place and gets some of the waste on their hands and wipes their face, they can get the disease.

People can catch the disease, or the Colorado Division of Wildlife would not test herds for it in hunting season.

I have lived in Craig all my life, over 65 years. There never was deer in town until the last few years.

Wake up, you selfish people. Think of all the kids that can catch the diseases. Get rid of the deer all possible ways. Most of the deer look sick.

Jim Kowach

Comments

Colette Erickson 3 years, 10 months ago

Just exactly what "disease" can be transmitted to humans by deer excrement? Perhaps e coli - which you are more likely to get in a package of hamburger from the grocery store! Teach your grandchildren not to handle ANY poop - you do tell them that, don't you - any they should be fine. Most of the deer that I have seen around town look really healthy. Maybe you should convince DOW to "take care" of the ones who clearly are sick or injured - a small minority. Why has this become a town of 'Henny Pennys" - the deer are coming, the deer are coming (the sky is falling, the sky is falling)! Buck up.

als362 3 years, 10 months ago

To 3canines: Don't you know it is the responsibilty of the "government" to train children, solve all forms of problems, hold everyones hand, and make sure that all their issues are solved before they go out to meet the new day?
If it weren't for the "governement" many people would not know what to do in any unfamiliar situation.

Butch001 3 years, 10 months ago

This problem could have been solved a different way. This wouldn't have been a problem if the child had been properly supervised. Then the author could start sharpening his wits a bit, also.

GreyStone 3 years, 10 months ago

3canines (Anonymous) says… “Just exactly what “disease” can be transmitted to humans by deer excrement? “

Anthrax comes to mind as a disease people might be transmitted to humans by deer poop.

Anthrax is an acute infectious disease that commonly occurs in wild and domestic lower vertebrates (cattle, sheep, goats, horses, camels, antelopes and other herbivores) can also be transmitted to humans exposed to infected animals or tissues from infected animals.

Leptospirosis is a disease that affects humans and many animal species. Outbreaks usually result from exposure to water contaminated with the urine of infected animals. Organisms have been found in cattle, pigs, horses, dogs, rodents and wildlife.

Anyone familiar with ranching is cognizant of the numerous diseases that can be transmitted to humans from livestock and wildlife.

als362 3 years, 10 months ago

I am not a rancher, I don't own any animals, and I know little about the diseases that animals can get.
But I do believe that if there were any real threat from any acute infectious diseases like Athrax or Leptospirosis, the Center for Disease Control would be in Craig before you could say Jack Robinson. I don't think any agency, doctor, vet or group of people would let Anthrax be in animals in the area without taking steps to control it and alert the public.
I feel I have to believe that because it is the only thing that makes sense.

David Moore 3 years, 10 months ago

"I have lived in Craig all my life, over 65 years. There never was deer in town until the last few years"

Huh, funny, I to have lived here all my life and in 43 years I DO remember the deer being around...all the time. I lived smack in the middle of town and would see them roaming the alleys everyday. This is, as one couple said it one letter over, is becoming stupid and silly, the hantavirus is much easier to catch and can kill some people who are immunodeficient. I am trembling in my boots at the thought, so I demand we round up all the deer mice and have a killing spree(not). Some people will resort to nonfactual information to push their agenda on those who won't research or don't understand..or care, this letter is a prime example of that method.
I say settle down people, the proper handling of the situation has commenced and the "DOW/50 citizen deer hating killing machine" has been put on idle. I trust the committee will come up with a REASONABLE plan to handle the problem of the awful "killer deer"(hey, maybe Hollywood should come up and make a horror movie). (spoken in that movie trailer guys voice) "No one can step outside.........(scream) Dogs are being murdered........(bark) No one can grow flowers anymore......(Scream) Killer poop is on the loose........(scream) You have just stepped into the Mule Deer Massacre Zone.......50 people hate them......thousands love them but they have all turned into cold blooded killers. Mayhem and madness have set in on this little mountain town where once docile deer have now turned into killing machines. They leave their deadly poop all over and kids are rubbing their hands in it and eating apples, dogs are murdered and citizens are being stared at. What is one to do? Grab a broom....maybe a shovel? Run for your life, the sky has fallen........and time.......is running out". I couldn't help myself, but that is just how silly and stupid this is getting.

GreyStone 3 years, 10 months ago

A little common sense goes a long way… keep the livestock and wildlife out of the yard, teach people to wash their hands and the government is not our babysitter.

missrose 3 years, 10 months ago

The fact is yes deer are wild animals. But, by the sound of this letter they were not showing any aggressive beha vior. They were merely startled by your grandson. That could have happened to him by a dog or even another person. Yes animals carry disease. Lepto is a zoonotic disease meaning it can be transferred from animal to person but saying deer are the main cause is silly. It is in dogs where it is most commonly found and through urine. So maybe instead of worrying about deer urine worry about your child playing near dog urine. Every animal could transmit a disease just like humans. Dont live life in fear of getting anthrax from a deer or you wont live at all. There are much more bigger things to fear than deer in this world for your grandson. Maybe fear thef idea of oil companies coming to Craig and destroying his drinking water first.

I agree with Misrose. It was just a case of the deer being startled and trying to get away. I realize when we become grandparents we tend to look at things a tad bit different then when our own children were at home. And maybe in the excitement of the deer trying to get away a hoof came a bit to close to the child so I can understand you being worried, but it's not really the fault of the deer nor the child, it's just something that happened. Maybe making a safer place for the child to be when he or she wants to be outside or checking your yard for animals before letting the child outside is the way to go instead of killing the animals.