Members appointed to deer committee in Craig

A small committee of residents has been organized to discuss and recommend a path of action for the Craig City Council to take regarding the management of the city’s deer population.

City manager Jim Ferree said committee members have been chosen and a meeting date has been set for later this week.

The members of the committee are residents Dave Watson, Dean Gent, Shannan Koucherik and Tim Ciesco, Ferree said.

Craig City Council member Jennifer Riley will serve as chairwoman of the deer committee, which was formed at the suggestion of Craig Mayor Don Jones at the Nov. 9 city council meeting.

Jones called for the creation of the committee after council members mulled how they should proceed with three deer removal recommendations made by the Colorado Division of Wildlife.

“We have done this for the last four years, and so it’s time to make a decision,” Jones said. “So that is why I wanted two of each side and to see if there was … one other thing we missed and if not, go with the first two options (from) the Division of Wildlife.

“I could get totally shot down, I don’t have a clue until we meet.”

The first two DOW options include an archery hunting area and season outside of city limits, and allowing the DOW to trap and kill problem deer in conflict areas with property owner consent on a case-by-case basis.

“The idea of establishing a citizen committee hadn’t come up until that meeting, and so I don’t know if city council had given it that much thought,” Riley said. “But, I don’t think that anybody was opposed to the creation of the committee, and depending on what the recommendations are back to council, (those) will help council make some decisions to go forward.”

Riley said she hopes this week’s meeting will “formulate the questions that we need to have answered.”

“Nobody has disagreed with the fact that the sick deer and the injured deer need to be dealt with, that’s a no-brainer in my opinion,” she said. “But, beyond that, what does that mean? What do we do? And what does city council’s role look like in that and what does DOW’s role look like in that and what kind of public support are we going to get?”

Jones agreed, adding that he feels the city needs to “thin the population.”

“I’m not sure what in the heck it might be, but you know, it is always good to take one last review,” he said.

Riley said the committee will also seek clarification on several items from the DOW, including information on case-by-case trapping of deer.

“It has been a pretty overwhelming statement from the public that they do not want all deer exterminated in the city limits,” she said. “So, is the DOW willing to work on a case-by-case basis, and if so, how would that be organized?

“And if not, what are our options? Those are the really basic questions we need to get answered.”

Gent said he wants to see the deer situation taken care of in a “reasonable manner.”

“I think probably what we are going to have to do is take the problem deer first, and I think they should be trapped and transferred to another part of the county and left to their own devices,” he said.

Gent said he understands there is a problem with deer in town.

“People are having problems with them, so I think we ought to address it,” he said. “I have had some problems here in my back yard, but I finally got enough fence around it. I’ve got them out now.”

Koucherik said she feels the DOW “needs to interact more with the residents of the city.”

She also said injured, sick or aggressive deer need to be dealt with on an individual basis. She said she would advocate for the committee to plot where the aggressive deer encounters have been reported on a map.

She said she was also against a “blanket killing” of 75 percent of the deer herd “without regard to gender.”

“I would like there to be some thoughtful culling of the herd,” she said. “But, killing 75 percent of the herd is not game management.”

Riley was hopeful the sides would reach a consensus and the committee would be able to make a recommendation to the council.

Jones said he hopes to have such a recommendation by early December.

Jones, however, made it clear he was open to the suggestions fostered by the committee.

“Nothing is set in stone, yet,” he said.

Comments

Colette Erickson 3 years, 8 months ago

What was the selection process for the members of this committee?

justthefacts 3 years, 8 months ago

Fact: Eeenie meenie minnie mo!!!!!!!

This Just The Fact moment was brought to you by the City Of Craig, and the Mayor on behalf of the Blue Ribbon Deer Commission.

DAILYREADER 3 years, 8 months ago

It sounds to me like the mayor has made our decision already. A committee has been formed to make a decision in just a few weeks that the past and present council members have not been able to do in four years. so what is new???

It doesn't seem to matter what the majority of the people want done, which is to leave the deer alone, or to do other things to discourage the deer.

As for me, i enjoy watching them in my yard. I have iris, peonies, and daisies which they do not bother. The evergreens seem to grow faster than they can eat them and just means that i don't have to trim them as often.

Colette Erickson 3 years, 8 months ago

This web page has many interesting links to non-lethal deer population control which has worked in other communities:

John Kinkaid 3 years, 8 months ago

Obamacare and deer in Craig.

You vil take it und you vil like it. Because it iz for your own gud. Und ve know vat you need.

kp81625 3 years, 8 months ago

I don't understand why the mayor and the town council will not listen to the public outcry of, "LEAVE THEM ALONE!!" Good Lord what is it going to take to listen to the public...

justthefacts 3 years, 8 months ago

Fact: Since the Mayor and City Manager hand picked the Committee, the other method that might have been used; (vs. ennie meenie)

They got a big flower and plucked the petals saying: "She loves me, he loves me not, he loves me, she loves me not." The loves win of course!!!!

Fact: No, that can't be the method. I forgot the deer ate all of the flowers in the city!!!.

Back to eeenie, meenie and no Moes!!!

Just The deflowered Facts, or it could be; The devoured by the deer Facts???

needstoknow 3 years, 8 months ago

Well for starter's I agree with kp81625. I think I would like to say to all who is whinning about the beautiful wildlife in our city, to learn a case of deal with it!!!! As for the story posted awhile back in the paper, about the concern for the elderly an children.... Come on seriously that's the best you could come up with?? When the deer are in my yard an the kids go out to play the deer take off as soon as you walk out the front door.. So where the problem is I have no clue, besides they are eating your precious bushes an trees... Seriously who really cares they grow back...

needstoknow 3 years, 8 months ago

Oh I have another issue to bring up also that really torks my butt.... I was outside the other night an my neighbor down the street was chasing the deer up the road.. He was clapping an running after them, yelling... Isn't that harrassing wildlife????? Oh wait they are such a problem that anybody can do what they want with them right???? I think the next time I see him doing that I'm gonna chase him an clap at him an yell at him an lets see how he likes it!!!!! I would call someone but I really doubt anything will get done, the city has pretty much made up there minds on what's going to be done... What a shame....

needstoknow 3 years, 8 months ago

Another issue on hand is the so called marksman crap!!!! What's going to be done or happen for that matter if one of those idiots misses a shot an hits a home an kills someone, what would be done then huh???? I don't think that I would want them shooting around my place in the dark, would you?????? That's ok I have a gun also....

als362 3 years, 8 months ago

Chasing and yelling at an animal is the very thing that is liable to make it angry and want to stand its ground, especially if it is a doe with a fawn or a buck in the rut. These are more than likely the ones that think they have a problem with the deer, and expect the rest of us to pay for their uneducated actions.

TSnyder 3 years, 8 months ago

"Moreover, Jones said the committee might foster an idea not previously considered by the council." I thought the reason the mayor did not allow public comment at the council meeting was because they had already heard all suggestions, ideas. etc. Anyone else confused or is it just me?

cag81625 3 years, 8 months ago

It doesn't take chasing or yelling for this to happen in the confined space of a back yard. Commonly, I'll exit my detached garage to startle sometimes five or more deer as I simply walk to the house. More than once the animals have run right into the street and into traffic, other times they have become momentarily (thank goodness) caught in my wire fence. Now I really don't care what is done with the deer, but I did want to clarify that harrassment of wildlife could be construed by me strolling across my back yard.

needstoknow 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree on the confined space part cag81625... As for the walking out of your garage an scaring them is totally different, than chasing them an clapping at them!!!! You can go up in the mountains an walk the trees just for a stroll an startle a deer or elk for that matter, doesn't mean your harrassing them!!!!!! An TSnyder I think the reason they didn't want to hear from the public, is because they know that the majority of the public will out weigh the whinners!!!!!

needstoknow 3 years, 7 months ago

WOW!!! Funny how nothin more has been said about the deer problem????? Did the majority out weight the WHINNERS??????