Kathi Milner: Let’s thin the heard

I have heard countless arguments about the local herd of deer.

I am one of the few that support the idea of thinning out the herd.

I hear, “Oh, the deer are harmless.” Yeah right, tell that to my checkbook. They eat the feed that I put out in the morning for my chickens.

I have to spend twice the amount I normally do because they are eating all my chickens’ feed. I have put the feed in different areas to discourage them.

They go in my coop and defecate in there so all the straw has to be raked out.

Now, I know straw isn’t very expensive, but add that up three or four times a week, plus double the $50 a week I spend on feed cause the deer eat it.

Do you really think they are harmless?

I know other farmers have the same problem — they get into the hay and alfalfa fields, and have themselves a grand old time at the farmers’ expense.

Growing hay and selling eggs may not be a big deal to some, but for those of us who do this stuff for a living, it is a huge deal.

Kathi Milner

Comments

als362 3 years, 5 months ago

I think instead of spending more money on extra food, you need to spend some money on a fence to keep the deer out. In time the cost of the fence will pay for itself in the cost of saved food.

missrose 3 years, 5 months ago

I find it funny that you are worried about the deer getting into the coop and not other predators that love chicken such as skunk, fox or coyote. If you are upset then make the area your poultry are in animal proof so not only do the deer not come in but other animals. Losing your actual chickens is more expensive than feed at this point. It might be an investment but think about it in the long run. And thinning out a deer population might be good for the herd except only if it is the sick and old. A healthy deer population maintains good genetic diversity and healthy reproductive functions. Unfortunately I am sure other proponents of deer removal and the DOW wouldn't be willing to spend the time the check whether this deer or that one is healthy and could contribute to the gene pool. The fact is people live in the country and this is what happens. Learn to work with and not against and make it better for everyone. If it bothers you move to a city where the only animals around are squirrels.

Colette Erickson 3 years, 5 months ago

Ditto.

PS - Daily Press staff, it's a "herd" not a "heard". Don't trust your spellchecker too much.

Colette Erickson 3 years, 5 months ago

Ditto.

PS - Daily Press staff, it's a "herd" not a "heard". You are all high school graduates? And these sorts of errors are still published all the time? Wow.

greenie52 3 years, 5 months ago

It sounds like kathi milner lives in the country and maybe they should let people come out and shoot the deer on there land and then they wont eat all of her chicken feed. As far as the city council, they are a big joke , all those people showed and they started crapping there pants and the best they can do is form a committee and when a decision is made they will put it on the committee, just pass the buck deal!!!!!

nightwatch 3 years, 5 months ago

THE PEOPLE IN CRAIG THAT SEEMS TO THINK DEER IS A PROBLEM IS SHARP AS A MARBLE,,YOU PEOPLE REMIND ME OF PEOPLE WHO GO TO YELLOWSTONE AND COMPLAIN OF THE BEARS ?????