Julie Dempster: Deer need to be moved

What stops my heart cold while walking down the street is coming upon a group of two or three bucks standing still, watching me.

It happens quite a bit. I tell myself they only attack when provoked, and I keep walking. But, I certainly quicken my pace and keep an eye over my shoulder.

A scene somehow more disturbing: two stiff-legged bucks stumbling around my yard one morning that are obviously either diseased or possibly poisoned.

How am I to know whether a sick deer won’t charge me or my kids? And, why am I afraid of becoming a target in my own yard?

These animals seem to be born and raised here and know no other home. I loved them when they were few and kept a proper distance, but no one can deny they’re growing both in number and in boldness.

Is there a way to at least control the population? Perhaps by removing the males to curtail breeding and somehow keep the city a “buck-free” zone? Do we dare wait to act until someone is actually attacked? I’ve seen a doe attack a medium size dog in self-defense, and I can’t help but picture an errant child in that situation. I fear it’s only a matter of time before that happens.

Julie Dempster

Comments

als362 4 years, 1 month ago

If I was that afraid to walk down the street, I would find a different place to live.
The deer within the city limits of Craig will never go away until strict laws are passed so property owners must keep the food that they want away from them.

onewhocares 4 years, 1 month ago

I hate to say it Julie, but if you are that afraid of deer, you've got much bigger problems than you realize & should consider moving to a more "civilized area." Better yet, how about facing your fears and consider spending some serious time in the wilderness and educate yourself about all the critters in it, to help alleviate your unrealistic fear of deer. There are many other things in Craig much more dangerous to your children on a daily basis (sex offenders, drug dealers, drunk drivers) which warrant being afraid of. Don't let your own irrational fears take away from the quality of life for the rest of us.

justthefacts 4 years, 1 month ago

Fact: Julie's idea might work, in the Bible God had the first born male of Egypt killed. We all know what happened there.

Comment: Now in the " NEW Craig Bible Revised Edition" The Craig City Council said: We shall smite the first born male of every deer family in Craig, and they will know the power of the almighty". They will go forth from this land to the Great Divide Wilderness and mutiply in numbers so as not to vilolate the peace of the banker's wife. "

Then the people rose up and in one voice said: " LET MY DEER GO!!!

The the City Council responded with: "Oh ye of little faith ( To be continued)

Just The Facts of bilblical proportions!!!!

Skim11 4 years, 1 month ago

I've seen children harassing deer, maybe we should focus on public education about how to act around the deer. And go after the people who are illegally feeding them! Also, while I agree it can be strange to be stared down by a buck when walking by, I MUCH prefer the wildlife than the robbers, killers, and rapists you might come across in the big city.

Colette Erickson 4 years, 1 month ago

Why did this silly letter merit two publications?

ColoradoNative1 4 years, 1 month ago

Julie, I am surprised at you. You always struck me as a strong, independent woman.

The deer watch you because they want to see if you are a threat. They are hardly going to chase you down the street if you turn your back on them!

Watch the dogs that people allow to run free because they might chase you and attack you. But not the deer.

People need to control their dogs and educate their children. Do we teach our children to look both ways before they cross the street so cars won't hit them? How about not to talk to strangers? Or approach strange dogs (how many children have been attacked and bitten by dogs?)?

The deer are another fact of life and children should be taught that they are wild animals and should not be approached.

I have heard of no reports of deer actually attacking people. Pawing the ground because someone startled them (a warning). Not leaving when someone waved a broom at them (not as much fear as they used to have). Not my idea of aggression. The attacks have been against dogs -- a clear threat to the deer.

Leave the deer alone and they will leave you alone!

Or move to Denver where they don't have deer in the city. And deal with the gangs, murderers, rapists, traffic, etc., etc.