School board to consider final budget draft today

Moffat County School Board work session and meeting

Thursday, school district administrative building, 775 Yampa Ave.

4 p.m. Work session

— 5573, admission costs

— 5574, activity/athletic fees

• 5:15 p.m. Break

• 6 p.m. Celebrate retirement

6:45 p.m. Regular meeting

Agenda:

• Pledge of Allegiance, visitors, reasons we’re proud, Ed Townsend scholarship presentation

• Consent items:

— Approve April 8 and 22 meeting minutes

— April financial reports

— May check registers

— May personnel report

• Action items:

— Approval of clubs for 2010-11

— Adopt 2010-11 board meeting schedule

— Adopt math curriculum

—Approve negotiations contract

—First reading policy 4161, paid personnel leaves

—Second reading policy 4342, reduction in professional workforce

— First reading policy 5310, student use of district computers and computer systems

—First reading policy 4118, staff use of district computers and computer systems

— First reading policy 5312, student use of electronic devices

— First reading policy 6614, copyright compliance

—First reading policy 5320, student fees, fines and charges

— First reading policy 3544, students with food allergies

• Announcement

• Adjournment

The work session and meeting are open to the public.

After months of discussion, Moffat County School District superintendent Joe Petrone said the final draft of the 2010-11 fiscal year budget looks much like the one that will be up for approval at the June 24 school board meeting.

During a board work session at 4 p.m. today at the district administration building, 775 Yampa Ave., the board will consider a final draft of the 2010-11 budget, including $1.1 million in budget cuts.

A regular meeting will follow at 6:45 p.m.

A public budget hearing is also scheduled for June 10. A time has not been announced.

“We’re following a process like we always would,” Petrone said. “But, this is by far an atypical year with respect to the reductions.”

The district is expecting a 6.35-percent reduction in state revenue, a number that, in the fall of 2009, was projected to be anywhere from 6 to 10 percent.

For the school district, the revenue reductions amounted to approximately $1.1 million of its $20 million budget.

Beginning in January, the district established and worked through a process of discussion, feedback and revision with parents, staff, community members and students, revolving around a three-page budget reduction template.

In those three pages, district-wide impact is clear.

Petrone said the guiding principles behind making the cuts focused on fair and equal reductions, avoidance of cutting entire programs and the retention of target class sizes.

However, it’s difficult to avoid impacting children altogether when every employee and service support a child’s experience, Petrone said.

“It’s coming from a lot of different places,” he said of the cuts. “It’s a differentiated reduction and it will have wide impact across the schools.”

One major budget cut indicates a reduction of six full-time intervention staff members, or paraprofessionals, who provide extra teacher support.

“It’s never easy when you’re dealing with direct intervention and support people who are providing assistance to teachers and classrooms,” Petrone said. “We believe we’re able to mitigate the impact of those reductions with the preservation of small class sizes.”

Along with maintaining small classes, Petrone said the retention of extracurricular activities was an important consideration.

Through meeting with community members, parents and students, the district learned what others deemed important in education, the superintendent said.

The current draft of the budget does not include the elimination of teacher positions or clubs and activities previously offered.

“During discussions with students, their single biggest issue was maintaining the teachers that they have,” Petrone said. “That was number one and that sends a huge, positive message. A secondary issue, probably right up there, was the maintenance of athletics and activities.

“I’ve always termed programs like athletic, activities, drama and debate as ‘co-curricular’ programs,” he said. “Whenever anyone phrases them as ‘extracurricular,’ I try—I hope—to point out those activities are opportunities we provide to students that are cherished by our kids.”

At the beginning of the process, the option of closing the Moffat County High School pool, and therefore eliminating a sport and physical education programs, was shelved for another year.

The $75,000 it will cost to keep the pool open for another year is not coming out of the budget reductions, however.

District finance director Mark Rydberg said the money will come out of the district’s reserve funds.

“We did not want the pool and the decision—or uncertainty about that decision—to take away from other programs,” Rydberg said.

Other cuts include the elimination of a full-time administrator at MCHS, reductions in school supplies, a reduction in staff paid holidays, energy savings and a new insurance carrier.

For Petrone, the reduction process has been instructive, but he hopes the district will not have to utilize it again for additional cuts in coming years.

“At the end of the day, it’s always about equity, treating a large group of people as individuals, looking at particular line items and finding workable solutions,” he said.

Comments

dexter 4 years, 6 months ago

Careful school board, there is one individual who is soon to be our ex-DA that will stand up in the meeting and threaten to sue the school district for foolishly spending money. Guess it is OK, if he foolishly spends taxpayers money though.

RichardBarbosa 4 years, 6 months ago

I have a question about why the agenda always gets published for upcoming School Board meetings while it remains so difficult to find a copy of the minutes of past meetings.

The most recent minutes that I can find right now on the School District's web site are for the March 25, 2010 meeting. What happened to the April minutes, and why have they never been published? Is it really so time-consuming and difficult to type up a page or so of the minutes that the public certainly has the right to see?

Who is in charge of this, and why is he/she not doing the job? Please give us the name of the person so that members of the public can contact him/her directly to get the minutes.

calvinhobbs 4 years, 6 months ago

Right on the district web page, took me 30 seconds. moffatsd.org-->teacher pages staff directory -->district administration on the top, I bet Vicki Duncan can let you know.

RichardBarbosa 4 years, 6 months ago

That's extremely peculiar, Calvin. moffatsd.org click on Board of Education on the left click on Board Meeting Minutes in the gray box on the right, and that brings up only the March 25th Minutes, just as I said. Apparently consistency is not the name of the game in Craig, huh? I will try your suggestion now, despite the fact that googling for the April 2010 Moffat County School District Board Meeting Minutes brings up only the April 2009 Minutes. Odd. Very, very peculiar.

RichardBarbosa 4 years, 6 months ago

Nope, no April 2010 Minutes there, Calvin. I thought it was peculiar that you would believe that School Board Minutes would appear on the Staff and Faculty Page. How is any visitor to the district web site supposed to instinctively know that they should take the additional step of emailing one Vicki Duncan to obtain minutes that are a full month old at present? Odd.

calvinhobbs 4 years, 6 months ago

There is an EMAIL link. you can Email Vicki Duncan, she can let you know where to find them. Or can Send them to you. I know my wife who is a teacher gets them sent to her after every meeting. They should put them up on the web, I agree on that. I was just trying to show you the email. Did not do it clearly. Sorry

RichardBarbosa 4 years, 6 months ago

The minutes either should be posted, or not, but the way it is being handled seems like a waste of time and money for the School Board, which is going to have a meeting tomorrow night about saving money: 1) the minutes that are currently visible on the web site are 60 days old; 2) this is a supreme waste of Vicki Duncan's time, not to mention the time of members of the public, to have Vicki receive hundreds of emails every month, and then for her to send out the same page(s) of minutes by email hundreds of times. Extremely inefficient.

Maybe someone can bring this topic up tomorrow night. Maybe Vicki Duncan's job would be a half-time position if she could stop answering hundreds of extra emails every month.

I do not plan to email Vicki Duncan today. I am going to trust that a member of the School Board will read these comments online and simply handle the problem, without any further requests from anyone. That would be the ideal, and most efficient, result.

justthefacts 4 years, 6 months ago

Fact: The School Board is clueless, and powerless.

Fact: Decsions such as these, are made entirely by management at " The Head Shed". ( Admin building)

Fact: The School Board members are puppets of management, and are only there to rubber stamp management decisions.

Fact: Some school board members, do still comfort their former Teacher union brethren, and provide a shoulder to cry on. (Wa Wa Wa) Refer to my first statement.

They say that I'm old-fashioned and live in the past, but sometimes I think progress progresses to fast.

Sawa Fare is everwhere, looking for JUST THE FACTS.

superbetty 4 years, 6 months ago

justthefacts - Sawa Fare? Did you mean savoir-faire? MEANING: noun: The ability to say or do the right thing in any situation; tact. Just curious!

George Robertson 4 years, 6 months ago

RichardBarbosa perhaps you could attend the meeting yourself and make the suggestion instead of trusting that a member of the school board should spend their valuable time reading your posts.

RichardBarbosa 4 years, 6 months ago

Nimnod: I do not assume anything. If I were a School Board member, I would have my finger on the pulse of the community, and I therefore would read the relevant online comments to better serve the community.

I am curious, nimnod: Why would you think that I should spend two hours of my valuable time attending a meeting when I should be able to read the synopsis in the minutes that ought to be posted so that they are accessible to the public?

George Robertson 4 years, 6 months ago

"Barbosa…Chatty…Dunnce…one in the same…what a dame" I too am beginning to believe that this is the case.

justthefacts 4 years, 6 months ago

Superbetty;

Your research is semi- correct. The spelling is "Savior Faire", and he is a thieving French Canadian mouse, that has a sled dog named Malamutt, and he stars in Klondike Kat and Underdog.

I am sure that both of these cartoons are before your time, but not mine.

Richard: I threw you a softball in misspelling, did you miss it? I need you to feel needed.

Remember this, "The writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader that reads. "

With LOVE, Just the facts.

RichardBarbosa 4 years, 6 months ago

Don't some of you just get tired of your own pettiness? Nimnod, Justthefacts: both of you give a bad name to small-town America. There is a real issue here regarding the lack of access the public has to the School Board meeting minutes, but both of you are attempting to re-direct the topic to shine on me, for reasons unknown to me. As of about ten minutes ago, the most recent minutes that appear on the School's web site still are the ones that are 60 days old. I have to wonder why.

I repeat: the Board wants to cut positions, salaries, benefits of education. It appears that Vicki Duncan has way too much time on her hands if she is available to answer hundreds of emails in a month and to forward the minutes each time. Cut her position to half-time, and save one of your teacher's job.

Nimnod, for you to insinuate that the Board members are "too busy to spend their valuable time" reading the CDP online comments, but that perhaps I had time to spend at the Board meeting last month or tonight, is just rude. You must think very little of yourself, since you have elevated the Board members way above everyone else. I think very highly of myself, and my time is valuable. I also would never make a rude comment to you regarding the value, or lack thereof, of your own time.

Justthefacts, you threw a "softball" with your spelling error? First, I have no interest in correcting all your errors. Second, you "threw" more than a single spelling error, Dear. Really, you do not sound terribly educated, but it is not my job to correct your errors.

Now, both of you, do something today that lets everyone else realize that small-town America is not mired in pettiness and ignorance. Please.

justthefacts 4 years, 6 months ago

Fact: The School Board operates under a system known as Policy Governance.

Fact: The School Board creates policy, usually at the direction,or suggestion of the Superintendent. The system then runs under those policys.

Fact: The School Board Members, should not, can not, or will not, interfere with any employee of the School System, outside of the Superintendent.

Fact: By attending meetings, and understanding what happens , and how things really work, a person will pickup on procedures that the minutes do not reflect.

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple!!!!

Simply, JUST THE FACTS

Ericshoberg2010 4 years, 6 months ago

Something smells rotten in Craig. I just checked: still no April 22nd minutes posted. Why? If they're prepared and ready for emailing out by Duncan, then why the delay in posting? Why the games? Why the secrets, School Board? What are you trying to hide from the People by refusing to put the minutes on the web? As I said, something does indeed smell fishy here.

George Robertson 4 years, 6 months ago

Richard Barbosa/AnitaDunnce Where "pettiness" is concerned you are definately the pot calling the kettle black LOL

RichardBarbosa 4 years, 6 months ago

Reply to Nimnod: I don't know the other person, but since you also addressed your negative comment to me, I'll respond. I'm always surprised to find people like you who pretend to be well-informed, but who have no understanding of their rights as taxpayers and who don't stand up for themselves. Also, look up "petty", since you've misused it. Doesn't apply here. Try to get outside during the holiday, and stop sitting around your dark kitchen table trying to pick fights that lack foundation.

RichardBarbosa 4 years, 6 months ago

Not to beat a dead horse, but last night the June MCSD Board of Education meeting occurred, if I am not mistaken. I have just looked for the May Board meeting minutes, because I don't recall having read those, and I cannot find May. What gives? Where are the May minutes? When and where will the June minutes be posted? Why does someone have to ask for them?

RichardBarbosa 4 years, 6 months ago

Am I shouting into a wind-tunnel? Doesn't anyone care to read online about what goes on in our Board of Educations meetings?

I cannot find the minutes from the May 27th meeting. If someone else has located them online, please let me know where you found them.

In addition, how long do you suppose it will take to see the June 10th meeting minutes? and then the June 24th minutes??This is ridiculous. What are these people hiding??

peasandcues 4 years, 6 months ago

Mr. Barbosa, if it is so dang important to you about what happens at the school board meetings then why don't you just attend the meeting! It's very simple. Just sit and listen. They may even ask your opinion on agenda items. What the heck - you may even become part of a solution rather than just gritching about a problem. Novel concept...

RichardBarbosa 4 years, 6 months ago

Peasandcues: Rude. You're very rude, and you're assuming some facts not in evidence. You assume that I reside year-round in Moffat County, which is not the case. You also assume that I desire to spend a couple of hours sitting in a meeting when all I want to do is to read the synopsis.

Query: How can my request to read the minutes possibly.... possibly.... possibly be construed as "part of the problem"? What problem are you referring to anyway, and how do you imagine that I have anything to do with it?

You have a bee in your bonnet, Peasandcues, but it has nothing to do with me or with my reasonable and easily resolved request regarding the online location of the minutes from May 27th and June 10th. Get over it.

TSnyder 4 years, 6 months ago

Mr. Barbosa, the board meeting minutes are not approved until the following month's board meeting (i.e., May 27th minutes will be approved at the June 24th meeting). The June 10th meeting was a special meeting, not a regularly scheduled meeting. Therefore, we did not approve minutes from the prior meeting. Until the minutes are approved by the BOE, they are not posted on our website. I hope this clears up your questions. Thank you for taking the time to stay updated on the happenings in our district and at our board meetings. Sincerely, Trish Snyder, BOE Secretary

RichardBarbosa 4 years, 6 months ago

Ms. Snyder, I so appreciate your factual, mature, professional, and respectful response. When I read most of the attacks on these threads (and no, I do not believe that Michell Balleck should remove those comments, despite her flippant and immature commentary in "Our Pages, Our Rules", which she could have entitled "My Pages, My Rules"), I despair that no more than one or two mature or professional individuals still reside in Craig.

I am a retired school administrator from Phoenix, and I like to know what is happening in Craig, where my grandsons attend school. My daughter also often asks for my comment regarding matters. Most of the time, I simply am not in Craig, although I was there briefly a couple of weeks ago and will be there again for a longer period this summer. I lived there when I was much younger, but your winters are just too cold for me.

For Nimnod, Justthefacts, Peasandcues, and other mindless individuals to engage in name-calling against me, because I sought public information, is rude and unconscionable.

No, I do not want Michelle Balleck to delete any of their comments! I generally read newspapers online from large cosmopolitan areas, Phoenix and Los Angeles and New York, and no one at those publications treats the posters as insultingly and patronizingly as Ms. Balleck treats the online readers and posters in Moffat County. I presume it is a case of a small-minded young woman having been handed a job that involves control that she finds rather intoxicating, and which is a perfect example of "the Peter Principle". Until the citizens of Craig do manage to stand up to Ms. Balleck, her mindless control will continue unabated. That is your fight, however, and not mine.

It is eminently clear just how much the citizens in Moffat County do not want to stand up for anything, least of all obtaining information about how and when and where the school board minutes are published!! Witness the numerous attacks I received as a result of my asking.

Thank you, Ms. Snyder, you are a rare gem in the otherwise dry and brittle landscape that calls itself Craig. I appreciate your kind response more than you can know.

justthefacts 4 years, 6 months ago

Fact: Some people claim to be former school adminstrators, yet know nothing about policy governance, or how a school board operates.

WEIRD!!!

Some people claim to have grandchildern in the Moffat County Schools, yet are more concerned about minutes to board meetings, and not the fact that the school system is failing the community.

WEIRD!!!

Fact: Some people like to call others names and boast about their brilliance ( that apparently everyone else fails to see in the individual) rather than present facts,

WEIRD!!!

Fact: Some people claim to be educators, but fail to show the tolerance that educators are trained to use.

WEIRD!!!!

We are all a little weird, and lifes a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatiable with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.

JUST A BUNCH OF WEIRD FACTS.

I love you weird people, that know who you are.

WEIRD!!!!

RichardBarbosa 4 years, 6 months ago

Justthefacts, we all seem to tolerate you, don't we?

Perhaps you are aware that not all states operate their local school boards under identical rules??

I am brilliant?? Perhaps, perhaps not, but I have never stated that on these threads, nor anywhere else that I can recall.

I disagree with you that the MCSD has "failed the community". If I thought that, I would encourage my daughter and son-in-law to get the boys out of the district as soon as they secure employment elsewhere. I have not encouraged such a move to-date. If I do, and if they act on it, then you will not see my posts, because I will have no interest in the school system with my grandsons out of it.