MCEA: Vote no on State Bill 191

Colorado Senate Bill 191 is an irresponsible, unfunded mandate.

Teachers want a fair, credible evaluation system. But, there’s no money to pay for it.

The state’s K-12 funding situation is appalling — in the bottom 10 states in the nation.

The legislature cut districts in the middle of this year and slashed a quarter of a billion dollars of K-12 funding for next year.

The Moffat County School District is scheduled to make $1.1 million in cuts for the 2010-11 school year. Like Moffat County, districts across Colorado are being forced to cut programs and people at a time when education is more important to students and their families than ever before.

The legislature is compelling districts to pay for S.B. 191, while only committing to “gifts, grants, and donations.”  The cost of a new evaluation system is not in the budget for Moffat County schools.

Districts will be forced to pay the costs of a new evaluation system, new student tests to measure teachers’ effectiveness, and more principals to evaluate every teacher every year, increasing administrative costs in school districts.

S.B. 191 is too much for school districts to deal with at this time, especially when they are cutting student programs and services to balance the budget.

The Moffat County Education Association urges all Colorado voters to email their legislators asking them to vote no on S.B. 191.

The burden on our district is too costly at this time.

Our legislators can be reached at:

• Al.white.senate@state.co.us

• Randy.baumgardner.house@state.co.us

Moffat County Education Association

Comments

justthefacts 3 years, 11 months ago

Fact: It's not about the money, It's about teachers not wanting to be held accountable to student performance!!!

Fact: The Moffat County Education Association (code word for teachers union) is more interested in protecting low performing teachers, than student achievement!!!

Fact: The head of the Moffat County Teachers Union lives in Steamboat Springs.

Makes sense to me!!!

How committed can we be to Moffat County School performance, when our own childern go to school in STEAMBOAT SPRINGS. ( More prestigious, Better chance of getting into a good college than the poor underperforming kid in Moffat County ).

Fact: I will pay to grade teachers. I will pay even more to allow the Superintendent to do his job, and weed out the teachers not doing their jobs.

Fact: I will even pay if the teachers union would start policing themselves, take pride in their proffession, and encourage underperforming teachers to find another proffession.

Fact: Teachers affect the lives of children, families, and the future.

Get serious!!! ( Grade Teachers, (blink) )

Just the facts with a little more.

Anitadunnce 3 years, 11 months ago

What's up with all the (blink)s that you add to your comments, Justthefacts? It's kind of juvenile and serves as an added insult to the teachers you are attacking.

You sound like an angry principal who has someone on his tail about his own lack of performance. If my guess is wrong on that score, then you may want to re-think the way that you come across in your anonymous comments, 'cause you're giving some principal, somewhere in Craig, a bad name.

I also doubt whether the School Board will agree that you should be posting here on school time and on school equipment.

CharminChatty 3 years, 11 months ago

Rainbow: Such great points. How about evaluating an Oncologist on the percentage of his patients who live, or evaluating an Ob-Gyn in Haiti on the percentage of pregnant patients who give birth to healthy babies who survive to their 1st birthdays?

Your point is well taken. When all of the factors working against the success of students (drug addiction, lack of support at home, lack of a home altogether, victimization of gay and overweight and shy students by school bullies) are taken into consideration, how in the world is it fair to hold teachers accountable for all of that, not to mention all of the other, ongoing teenage life-problems?

Still in all, it appears that Justthefacts wants to unfairly hold all teachers' feet to the fire, while he escapes the results of evaluations. Such a dangerous double-standard for one to hold.

justthefacts 3 years, 11 months ago

Moffat County Teachers, chill out!!

Fact: Other school districts have the same problems, and still score higher than Moffat County. ( Exception, Ridgeview.)

GOOD JOB RIDGEVIEW!!!!!!!.

Fact: Ridgeview students even have some fat parents that smoke. ( Rainbow are you listening???) and still score higher.

Fact when 60% of the state scores higher than Moffat County schools there is a problem.

Fact: It is not dumb students!!!

What is choice two????

Teachers (blink), (blink), (blink).

Just the facts: FOR TRUTH, JUSTICE AND THE AMERICAN WAY.

HI HO Silver Away!!!!!!

Really 3 years, 11 months ago

My kids haven't been out of MCHS that long, and most of their teachers were great! All of my kids went to college well prepared and all are graduating. What made them sucessful? Parenting and caring about doing well in school. Did they have some "bad" teachers along the way? Yes, but they still did fine. My point is that there are a lot of kids who don't do well with the best teachers because of their life circumstances. YES - get rid of the bad teachers! But don't use CSAP scores to "grade" the teachers. And there are no CSAPs for Ag classes or Art or Social Studies - what about them? And, no, I am not a teacher.

CharminChatty 3 years, 11 months ago

Rainbow, you just told us that you're not a teacher, but note that Justthefacts never did tell us that he is not a principal. Ha!! This is priceless.

By the way, I do still have a child in the MCSD, but I have to say that I have not met a teacher whom I would actually call "bad". That term makes several on here sound pretty judgmental. For those of you who have used the term "bad", I would love some specifics: specific characteristics, followed by detailed descriptions of things the teacher did, or did not, do. Please make your discussion general enough so that no one will imagine that they can figure out who is being discussed. That might also help prevent the deletion of your comment in case you are thinking of someone who is thin-skinned.

Really 3 years, 11 months ago

That's why I put "bad" in quotes. Usually the teacher was one my child didn't get along well with or they didn't like their teaching style. Now that you have called it to my attention - I think all of their teachers were pretty darn good!

calvinhobbs 3 years, 11 months ago

OK, I do not teach, but know several. Here is the way I see it. Teachers are graded on student performance over three years. Students are supposed to show and improvement. Now here is what does not make sense. This is three sets of completely different kids. How do you hold parents responsible. a good friend is a teacher at CMS, at the last parent teachers conference he had 13 parents show up over the course of two days. So how does a teacher get held accountable, if the parents do not hold kids that way. I believe that teachers need to be held accountable, this is bill just is not the right way. I am proud of the fact that my kids are in the MCSD district. Both are challenged. Both get the help they need, I hold them responsible for their grades, I go to conferences. I am active in my childs education.

happyone 3 years, 11 months ago

Justthefacts, I am a teacher, and happy to be one. In fact I teach with the person who is the head of MCEA. She is a fantastic teacher and the district is lucky to have her. I think that you also need to check your facts and your spelling.(blink)(blink)

westslopeguy 3 years, 11 months ago

Or even just check the definition of the English word "fact." Most of your "facts" are actually subjective rants.

I used to find your posts humorous. I've gotten past that and more to the "fact," I find that other posters feel the need to reply humorous.

Please, you could save yourself a lot of ridicule and the community a lot of angst if you would just post your rants as opinions, and your facts as facts.

Not just my 2cents this time, but mostly facts. Paul

justthefacts 3 years, 11 months ago

Fact: When looking to relocate, people often look at how good the schools are before moving to a community.

Fact: If schools were graded as students are, The Moffat County Schools would be a solid "D". ( Grades provided by the State of Colorado)

Fact: Since C is average and the Moffat County Schools are below state averages, the grade is appropriate.

Fact: The Teacher's Union belives that teachers should be praised if the student assessments are good, but not criticized if student performance is bad.

Question : Then who do we blame???

Fact: The Community should be outraged!! The Superintendent and School board should be embarrassed!

Fact: Some do not like the message or the messenger. Some do not like the facts and instead of disputing the facts, with facts, attack Mr or Ms. Facts.

Fact: Some find humor in the fact that some respond to the facts, and yet can not help but to do the same!! (Just a fact!!)

" Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind, don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

Think left, think right, and think low and think high. Oh the things I can think up if you let me try!!!!.

Just The F a c t s no matter how !