Gay Albers: Postings have become too negative

I confess: I love our town. I love, most of all, its people.

I was surprised when a friend noted a “negative” and hateful atmosphere in Craig because I don’t experience that at all.

Truly, I was shocked and appalled when I peeked at the Craig Daily Press’ online forum, which was filled with some of the most hateful (not to mention slanderous and libelous) postings I’ve ever seen, posted anonymously.

While we, as a community and families, are conscientiously teaching our children that bullying is wrong, I am baffled as to why the Daily Press is providing a “community forum” for anonymous hate.

Obviously, the online site is not being properly monitored or censored for inappropriate postings. I think we can all agree that freedom of speech does not include slander and libel, legally or morally.

Bullies and petty promoters of hate can only spread their hate if our community gives them the power — and the platform, and the attention — to do so.

I also suspect that neglectful oversight leaves the Daily Press open to legal suit, as you are hosting the space on which these mean-spirited things are being posted.

Please, raise the bar: Clean it up, or shut it down. Anonymous and hateful exchanges do not lead to dialogue, nor do they serve our community in any way.

Comments

Mrs. Albers, I agree that some of these posters have gotten out of hand. But I do think that lately someone at the paper has been watching things a bit more because there are posts that have been removed because they are in violation of the rules. Maybe more could be done to keep some of these posters in control, but I'm not sure just how they'd do that, short of blocking that person for a period of time?? After awhile, I think many of us either quit posting on a subject or just quit paying attention to the mean spirited posts. But you are correct, it does get ugly and out of control at times. Grannyrett, it's good to see you back, even if it is a one word post!! :o)

David Moore 4 years, 5 months ago

Stop making it anonymous. This one simple action would curb the self righteous viciousness found on this forum, which is an embarrasment to those who have the ability to read it...worldwide. I can't imagine what they think of our little town...well I can, but i will hold my tounge as usual.

CindyLou 4 years, 5 months ago

David,

blueyes 4 years, 5 months ago

I will have to say that there are some people that need to just stop and think before they post anything. Look into the facts and what the real story is about. Gay Albers has a good point. We all need to grow up and let somethigs just go. There is way to much hate in this world.

David Moore 4 years, 5 months ago

"I agree with you except for the fact that you have posted anonymously in the past (Native) and continue to under other names. The spirit of the internet is about anonymity. People have been posting under pen-names for centuries. This venue isn't any different."

I do not use any other user names that are anonymous, I use my real name. If you would like to meet with me to discuss this further, seeing how you know me so much, come on up, you know where to find me.

chefbaden 4 years, 5 months ago

I had the privilege of living in Craig, Colorado for a little over a year. I found the town of Craig, it's residents like the Wyman Family, and so many others that the list is so long that there isn't enough room to list them all.........ARE WONDERFUL and CARING people, I can actually say it is an honor to know them ALL. I was treated with respect and kindess in bad times, and a good bit of camaraderie at other times. NEVER did I get the feeling of ill will and judgment or hatred. Signed: Baden Whitehead