John Ponikvar: Danner’s actions

Today, I have contacted the Office of Special Counsel in Washington D.C. to ask for an advisory opinion regarding the Hatch Act and candidacy of Audrey Danner for Moffat County commissioner, District 2.

In light of recent revelations instigated by commissioner Danner, concerning the campaigns of K.C. Hume for county coroner and Lila Herod for county clerk and recorder, about how the Hatch Act applies to them, it appears that commissioner Danner being appointed as opposed to an actual elected official also may be in violation of the act.

In an effort to undermine the campaigns of Mr. Hume and Ms. Herod, Commissioner Danner, with the help of county attorney Kathleen Taylor, has chosen to raise issues that involve an archaic federal act known as the Hatch Act.

The Moffat County commissioners, by accepting federal funds for mandated new voting equipment and moneys to fund sheriff’s department activities, unintentionally have limited the opportunities for some of their employees. Acceptance of these funds will, in the future, impact the number and quality of candidates for local offices.

Commissioner Danner, in her zeal to pursue this matter, ignored the transparency of the Sunshine Law by meeting with the other commissioners privately, discussing issues about county employees without their being notified. She also sent out “confidential” memos in total disregard of the employee’s involved or proper public process.

Commissioner Danner chooses to hold others to a higher standard than she does herself. She continues to be active in conversations and decisions on issues and with boards that she is in clear conflict.

I am surprised and deeply saddened that commissioner Danner would lower herself to such political games and compromise the integrity of her office.

John Ponikvar

Chairman, Moffat County Republican Central Committee

Comments

jeff corriveau 4 years, 7 months ago

Yep, sure smells like spring! A little Republican dirty laundry being aired in public! Or is this John stirring the pot again? Seems like he's done it everywhere he's been on a board. Hmmmmm?????

GreyStone 4 years, 7 months ago

.... This stuff is childish.

Why not try working together on something that might bring more secure, good paying jobs to Moffat county.

Heartache 4 years, 7 months ago

There are investors in the County now, but maybe they don't want to relocate into "the good ole boys and sorority sisters" lack of integrity area. It is so sad. ;-( that our community could lose another opportunity for a more stable and profitable economy -- but that would take leadership wouldn't it?

CindyLou 4 years, 7 months ago

Lets do the math here. Mrs. Danner's husband is on the TMH board (Didn't TMH get Federal dollars?). The TMH board reports directly to the County Commissioners (talk about a conflict of interest) Mr. McKey who is running for County Coroner (against the favored Hume) has a wife who sits on the TMH board with Mr. Danner. Hmmmmmmm I smell a rat. Thanks for the letter John.

I heard about K.C. pulling out of the race, but what's up with Lila?? Is there some reason she can't run now?

justthefacts 4 years, 7 months ago

Fact: County Commissioners are supposed to be servants to the people that put them in office.

Fact: Some County Commissioners feel that they are much better and much smarter than the people that elect them.

Fact: Some County Commissioners feel that they are above the law and that the rules don't apply to them, only the other "little people".

Fact: Some Commissioners have little regard to who they hurt or how bad they have hurt the county, as long as they look smart.

Fact: Some County Commissioners Don't feel that it is a conflict for them to oversee a board that their spouse just happens to be the Chairman of.

Fact: Some Commissioners feel that operating behind closed doors is a way to keep the little people from interfering. ( The less they know can't hurt them can it??)

Fact: Some County Commissioners are just mean spirited and hatefull.

Fact: Some County Commissioners feel that it is ok to Use County Time, County resources, and County employees to interfere with or influence the outcome of an election.

Fact: Some County Commissioners have violated the Hatch Act themselves.

Fact: Some County Commissioners should resign immediatly since they are tainted.

Fact: Audrey Danner is that Commissioner.

Fact: Moffat County deserves better

westslopeguy 4 years, 7 months ago

Addressed to "justthefacts" If you're going to call it a "fact" please be sure it is indeed a "fact."

When one uses the words "feel", "should", "supposed", "little people"-(little is a relative term, relative to exactly how big?), "little regard"-(reference previous comment), "mean spirited and hateful"-(subjective terms cannot, by definition, be a "fact"), "some county commissioners..."-(are we talking facts? Then quote facts, not "some..." ),

I could go on , but I won't. I've already posted more than I promised myself I would.

I would suggest perhaps a change in moniker, or a change in the way you post, (that would be refreshing). But at least I know this is...

my 2cents

opr8r 4 years, 6 months ago

oh my goodness!! i lived in craig for 42 years, and couldn't wait to get out of there for this very reason, this town is consumed with creating conflicts, especially the joke of public offices, the whole lot of you like to rub sticks together and then stand back and watch the fire.

als362 4 years, 6 months ago

I would give up my right to vote forever, before I would give my vote to Audrey Danner.