Craig Fire/Rescue responded to a report Monday afternoon of a man with burns to his face and body in the 500 block of School Street.
Drew Balleck, a resident of the building the call was reported from, was taken to The Memorial Hospital for burn treatment after a crew of nine firefighters responded to the scene, Fire Chief Bill Johnston said.
Johnston said the fire occurred on the second floor of Balleck’s building, and burned through bedding and mattress material.
The fire was limited to one room and the building didn’t appear to have structural damage, the fire chief said.
Johnston and Craig Police Department officers were unsure if alcohol or drugs were involved in the fire.
Resident Mike Easley said he lives in the room next to Balleck.
He said he found Balleck, who was using medical oxygen at the time, sitting in his bed on fire.
“He was just sitting there quietly going, ‘Help, help,’” Easley said.
Easley said he pulled Balleck from the room and, with the help of other residents in the building, put out the fire.
Samantha Johnston, spokeswoman for The Memorial Hospital, said Balleck was flown to another facility to be treated for burns.
She said his condition was “serious” when he left TMH.