Dale Potter: An accurate depiction?

I would like to comment on the political cartoon in Saturday’s paper showing the devastation in Haiti.

The idea that the cartoon seems to promote is that God is to blame for the earthquake and all the devastation (entitled “ACT OF GOD”) and that all the good credit goes to those helping the victims (entitled “ACT OF HUMANITY.”)

Is this an accurate depiction of the truth?

We get a small peek into the reasons for calamities in the Bible. The result of Adam’s sin not only brought sin and its consequences upon all his descendants, but the ground also was cursed because of sin. God’s perfect creation was devastated by the disobedience of the one whom God put in charge of it (Genesis 2 and 3).

Another insight is from the book of Job. God allowed Satan to cause a whirlwind, which killed Job’s 10 children.

Yes, God could have prevented this, but greater good came out of this incident in the end of the story. Read it for yourself. Also, we must remember that Job’s 10 children are in heaven with him at this very moment.

The beautiful ending of the greater story recorded in the Bible is that when Jesus returns to earth, He will right all the wrongs, and also restore creation to its original purpose: “Creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of decay into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans together and labors together in pain until now” (Romans 8:21-22). Earthquakes are part of the groaning of creation, brought about by sin, not by God. Some day it will all be perfect again, brought about by God.

The “ACT OF HUMANITY” side of the cartoon rightly ascribes good to the humanitarian rescuer. Remember, however, that Jesus is the One who taught us to love one another and to care for one another. He is the One who told the story of the Good Samaritan, extolling the stranger who took care of the wounded man.

His teachings are straight from His Father in heaven: “The words that I speak unto you I speak not from myself, but from the Father...” (John 14:10). God expressly taught through His son, Jesus, that we should have compassion even on complete strangers.

The “ACT OF HUMANITY” side of the cartoon, now being performed by the thousands who have rushed to the aid of the victims of this tragedy are actually from the heart of God Himself.

From the perspective of eternity, we will see that our loving Father-God was able to bring much good out of the devastation.

Some will be in heaven because God was able to capture their attention by means of this horrible earthquake. Some will be rewarded for self-sacrificing acts of charity being performed at this very moment.

God is the author of all that is good, and He deserves credit, not blame.

Dale Potter

Pastor, Yampa Valley Baptist Church

Comments

oldsage 4 years, 7 months ago

Claiming "It's a cartoon" as if to dismiss that the artist did not communicate exactly what Mr. Potter cited is very illuminating about your past and limited educational opportunities. Please seek out more education to understand the messages communicated in the non-written communication of art forms.

GreyStone 4 years, 7 months ago

oldsage,

Contrary to your belief, I am aware the meaning of the Cartoon is in reference to Pat Robertson's comments On Haitian Earthquake:

“They were under the heel of the French. You know, Napoleon III, or whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, we will serve you if you'll get us free from the French. True story. And so, the devil said, okay it's a deal [...] ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after the other."

This comment fits rather well with the Pastors comments…..

“The result of Adam’s sin not only brought sin and its consequences upon all his descendants, but the ground also was cursed because of sin. God’s perfect creation was devastated by the disobedience of the one whom God put in charge of it (Genesis 2 and 3).”

“Earthquakes are part of the groaning of creation, brought about by sin, not by God. Some day it will all be perfect again, brought about by God.”

I may not be as acquainted with this ridiculous nonsense as yourself, but that is not all that bad.

P51 4 years, 7 months ago

Mr. Potter: That dope Pat Robertson said (just as you did) on his "Big Bucks" TV show that the reason for the Haitian earthquake was because "the Haitians made a pack with the devil". What a bunch of crap. What kind of a person are you Potter. I think "Greystone" hit closer to the truth than you did. What was all that mumbo jumbo superstition crap that you were blabbing about. Maybe your family, Mr. Potter, can save some money when you kick the bucket and do as Christopher Hitchens suggested that Jerry Falwell"s family do when he died. Give him an enema then they cold bury him in a matchbox. You are so full of it that your eyes are brown.

daybyday 4 years, 7 months ago

What Pat Robertson said and how Pastor Potter responded were actually closer to opposite than the same thing, with a primary difference being rooted in Pastor Potter's concern for disciples and Robertson's for members. I think Robertson responded in the same manner to Hurricane Katrina, and it's sad that he is able to mislead so many people. Titus 1 speaks of rebellious people and idle talkers who will mislead whole families for dishonest gain. "All is pure to those who are pure. But to those who are corrupt and unbelieving, nothing is pure." This is one difference that Pastor Potter knows and the people of Haiti know, and Mr. Robertson choses to ignore.

oldsage 4 years, 7 months ago

Gee Greystone, I did not see any reference to Pat Robertson or anything he may have said about Haiti in that editorial cartoon! And therefore the connection you claim to know exists is because (1) you are the artist, or (2) the artist called you and told you the secret meaning so you could share it with the rest of us, or (3) the connection is clearly of your own making in your own mind. The choice is an obvious number 3 to everyone who has seen the drawing because no connection exists.

It is clear to any objective reader and observer that you agree with the message of the cartoon that God destroys and humans are compassionate helpers and givers. This is also an example of a world view that "If there was a God he would not allow the calamities that happen from time to time to occure." Tell us Greystone what Deity do you worship?

GreyStone 4 years, 7 months ago

As a Cartoon, this drawing is supposed to stimulate thought . I think the cartoon does this and that’s all. Just look and then think, that is all.

Generaly I am not a superstitious person and the closest thing to a deity is my 1986 HD, Supperglide, my Brothers, our club and Jack Daniels.

oldsage 4 years, 7 months ago

That's great, she worships her Harley from the bottom of the bottle, and takes turns with the brother bikers in the club! Not only a heathen but a harley riding, hedonistic heathen! Great post GreyStoned!

ImOffTheWall 4 years, 7 months ago

Jocularity, Jocularity! Let's keep it civil group... I might be off the wall, but Satan tempts me to wish it was a hundred years ago. Then we could arrange a meeting between the people who so obviously love to hate God, and those who don't.

Back then, Samuel Colt could have settled it real quickly, but in today's world I'm afraid that they will never see eye to eye. One of them is so stunted. It must be a living hell to walk around only seeing people from the knees down. Not a reason to attack them, but a reason to pray for them.

GreyStone 4 years, 7 months ago

oldsage,

I am your worst nightmare, antichrist, hedonistic heathen, and all that other superstitious mumbo jumbo all rolled up in your little pea brain and I live in your back yard.

Lets stay on subject, It is still a cartoon about HUMANITY ...

oldsage, I think you were way out of line with your comment to GreyStone. You should really be ashamed of yourself.

oldsage 4 years, 7 months ago

No, it is a typical cartoon by an atheist, "blaming God" for the earth quake and praising humanity like all those who believe in the Deity of humanistic endeavor. It was clearly obvious to me from the first post and others GreyStoned has posted what type of person (the now admitted) "antichrist, hedonistic, heathen" is.

When a person states that the "closest thing to a deity is my 1986 HD, Supperglide, my Brothers, our club and Jack Daniels" anyone can see just how limited an education that person must have obtained (except those with similar educational backgrounds, ie. lonelyone) and I was correct in suggesting educational opportunities. To all morons out there, it is spelled with one p ie. Super Glide! Supper is a light evening meal. Offthewall is understating the problem here with the term stunted.
And I'm not worried about moronic veiled threats because I know exactly who it is and where it lives. And it is not in my back yard!

GreyStone 4 years, 7 months ago

oldsage,

Who are you to criticize the name of my deity “Supper Glide” which I named after the last Supper.

I have a ability to name my deity whatever I want and spell it however I wish. Don,t pick on lonelyone, thats not right.

That’s it, I am finished with you. Your mom eats crackers in bed.