Brian and Beth Poole hold their newborn daughter, Hannah, in their home Friday. Now almost a week old, Hannah was the first baby born in 2010 at The Memorial Hospital.

Photo by Shawn McHugh

The Memorial Hospital’s 1st 2010 baby born on Jan. 5

photo

Infant Hannah Poole works her tiny fingers in her home Friday. She was the first baby born this year at The Memorial Hospital, and the first daughter for her parents, Beth and Brian Poole.

If there was a race to be the first baby born in 2010 at The Memorial Hospital, no one knew about it except Hannah Poole.

Three weeks before her mother, Beth, expected her to arrive, Hannah made it clear she was ready to greet the world.

“It was kind of scary,” Beth Poole said. “It was a different experience than I had with the boys. I wasn’t quite ready, but I guess my body was. I just thought, ‘Oh, OK, she is ready.’”

Just before 2 a.m. Jan. 5, Beth Poole gave birth to her and husband Brian’s first daughter, and the first baby of 2010 at TMH.

On Friday afternoon, Hannah’s parents coddled her while Beth Poole’s family helped watch, Jaden, 4, who is Beth Poole’s first son, and 2-year-old Andrew, who is Brian Poole’s first child with Beth.

Brian Poole, who missed Andrew’s birth, said being there for his daughter’s birth was an experience he’ll never forget.

“We waited a long time, and it was well worth it,” he said. “It was a really great experience. All the doctors and nurses were wonderful and really informed me on anything. It was really exciting, anxious.”

Excited to finally have another female in the house, Beth Poole said she is looking forward to doing Hannah’s hair and piercing her ears.

Both parents expect her to be a girly girl, and her personality already was beginning to show as she peered at her parents shyly from underneath a light green flowery headband.

Beth Poole said she was thrilled to be holding her new baby and going through the process of raising an infant again.

“They just kind of explore you,” she said as she gazed down at Hannah, who was lazily waving her arms. “It’s a lot different than them just talking back to you.”

For the hospital, Hannah was the first birth of what will be an estimated 150 deliveries in 2010.

In 2009, the number of deliveries increased 35 percent during 2008, jumping from 82 to 111 births.

As a part of its 2010 business plan, TMH hopes to increase the number of births another 18 percent.

Part of the plan to increase market share in births included adding a new OB/GYN, Dr. K.C. Keating, who began work in July.

Beth Poole was one of Keating’s patients.

“I had the best doctor in the world,” Beth Poole said. “I just remember being like, ‘Where’s my doctor, I need her,’ and she was there for me.”

Hannah is Beth Poole’s third, and most likely last, child.

The fact that she is her first girl and the first baby born at TMH is an added bonus, Beth Poole said.

While Jaden and Andrew are growing up into school age, Brian Poole said he wasn’t sure he’d be able to handle letting Hannah go off to preschool when the day comes.

“She’s my princess,” Brian Poole said. “She couldn’t be more perfect. We get to start a new year with a new baby.”

Comments

STANHATHHORN 4 years, 3 months ago

"As a part of its 2010 business plan, TMH hopes to increase the number of births another 18 percent".

The number of births recorded in 2009 was 111. Therefore an increase of 18% would equate to 131 births. In this same article the 2010 birth rate was estimated at 150, or a 35% increase!

Sounds like more sammy math!!

justthefacts 4 years, 3 months ago

A baby a day won't keep the banker away!!! So Sad to say.

In fact, more babys delivered at TMH will only speed up the process of not being able to meet it's financial obligations.

Many hospitals are reducing or getting rid of maternity wards due to the finincial drain. Experts will tell you that maternity is the largest money - losing program at a hospital.( yep, I said looser)

www.momobile.org/DemiseofMaternityWards.html

Another loser is physical therapy. Craig has great private providers and yet the brilliant minds of QHR, that operate TMH insist on keeping another looser program. Should a County hospital even compete against private enterprise?

A wasted dollar spent here,a wasted dollar spent there,who are we? QHR. The MISMANAGEMENT COMPANY.

QHR has proven it's self to be a poor manager for TMH. Unfortuinatly, for those of us in the community who have to pay for a beautiful new hospital ,the board or OUR County Commissioners are not paying attention. They only listen to the company they pay $500.000 a year to tell them how smart they are.

O sammmy sammy on the wall where will you be in the TMH fall.

again and again just the facts please!!!

justthefacts 4 years, 3 months ago

I have already recieved comment about the spelling of Financial. consider this fixed.

The web site is:

www.momobile.org/Demiseofmaternitywards .html

justthefacts 4 years, 3 months ago

Oh where oh where can our sammy be did George take her away from us If she's gone to Heaven we have to be good So we can see our Sammy when we leeeave this world.

( Just add music)

tanyascrappy 4 years, 2 months ago

You can anticipate and plan for all the births in the world, but unless you start taking better care of your nursing staff, providing the Obstetric Department with a dedicated staff and listen to their concerns and the physician concerns, TMH will only end up losing the very patients they are trying to recruit. Yes, the births were up in 2009, I did all the stats for the past year as I worked in that department and I know, the fact that one of the OB/GYN physicians from Steamboat left helped recruit some of his patients to our area, but mostly it was because Dr. Ellis and Dr. Keating are heads and shoulders above any previous obstetric care that was available. Now, however, the management of the nursing staff want to make sure they "float" the ob nurses to all the other departments and even go so far as to call them off to keep hours down, well how would you like to be the family that goes in with an obstetric emergency, and be told, "well just wait, our nurse has a 20 minute response time"....are you kidding me? Either buck up and take the time to dedicate the staff and the training, or get out of the baby business, a few hours of nursing labor sure doesnt' equate out to a major malpractice suit! But maybe Sam and George have the answers for this too and just don't share!

justthefacts 4 years, 2 months ago

The John Kinkaid blog was not working, TOO Many wanting comment? The system must have OD"d Call the ambulance,but don't take me to TMH, I would be erased. Wah, Wah, Wah.

Hurray, Hurray, some of the commissioners got their way. The other lost her sway!!!

Do we really think that there was no back room plotting with the hospital Board Chairman,his wife the Commissioner, and the TMH CEO, that just happened to sit in on hospital Board interviews???

Fact: The one hospital Board member that would ask questions and wanted to see accountibility left the board, (WHY??)

Fact: The TMH board chairman was probably looking for another rubber stamp member.

Fact: John Kinkaid has a reputation of asking questions and being informed, ( Not wanted on this board!!!)

Fact: The Memorial Hospital LOST $1.3 million dollars in operations last year.

Fact: In July TMH will have to start making payments of $365,000.00 per month on the new house. ( where is the money going to come from?)

Fact: Quorum Health Care's contract with TMH and the Commissioners is up for renewal this year. ( HELLO, is any one paying attention, Board & Commissioners??)

Fact: The current TMH board ignores the facts and blindly follows the administration regarding finances. The result? Rubber stamping mismanagement.

Fact: The same SAD, SAD, SAD culture exist at TMH that has been there since Quorum took over management.

By the way, did some body put the Wammy on Sammy? The service of Excellence is non existent at TMH and so is she.

O Sammy, Sammy on the wall, once and for all Please, please, please. JUST THE FACTS.

westslopeguy 4 years, 2 months ago

"Experts will tell you that maternity is the largest money - losing program at a hospital.( yep, I said looser)" (sic)

I hate to combine threads, but this is like,,,,, the 3rd time I've seen a comment from a big picher of Shania that grammatically makes NO sense, so I feel compelled to respond...

When one posts about being ''looser'' on a blog about maternity events, it's probably not a good thing. But, being a gay male, if one would post about being a "loser" on a blog about maternity events, I might understand.

Which is she, justthefacts? Is she "looser" for the effort, or a "loser" for the effort? I'm sure whichever you answer you're sure to get bombarded by one half or the other. Perhaps both halves. That would be fun, wouldn't it?

By the way, and again I know I'm going off-topic here, but perhaps y'all was raight. Mebby we does need englich as a furst langwich.

my 2cents... u no hoo

daybyday 4 years, 2 months ago

Some write in a manner unique; others like a control freak. Some see the facts in a word though misspelled; others seem somewhat questionably compelled. If just the facts will make our minds richer, then no one cares how you spell picher. A final thought, Ladies and Gents...a penny well spent is a penny earned...or is that just non-cents.

justthefacts 4 years, 2 months ago

Westslope Guy,

If you will read my post, you will find that I spelled loser two different ways, loser( The correct spelling) and looser to emphasize a point.

Being the broadminded individual that your are, ( being gay and all) I am surprised that you didn't pickup on that.

When debating, I would rather debate with the facts vs someones proclivity (check the dictionary on this one) toward debating from the heart. The important thing is that the message is understood!!!! Mispelled or not.

This again just the facts.

justthefacts 4 years, 2 months ago

P.S.

daybyday:

Nice job, I couldn't have written such fine prose.