MCTA director search down to 2 applicants

— The Moffat County Tourism Association board interviewed five candidates for its vacant director position Thursday but came away from the meeting without making a final decision.

MCTA’s director search has lasted nearly three months. Twenty-eight people applied for the position, a number MCTA narrowed to the five finalists who were interviewed at the Moffat County Courthouse.

From the five candidates, Parker resident Marilyn Hill and Craig resident Melody Villard were chosen as the two finalists.

The board also interviewed Deborah Lueck, Denise Jones and another candidate who wished to remain anonymous.

The board decided to table a final decision until Tuesday. Board members said some of the references listed by one of the two finalists could not be reached in time to make a decision.

Villard was an MCTA board alternate but stepped down a few weeks ago, MCTA board chairwoman Annie MacGregor said.

MacGregor said the decision on the two finalists “took the board a while to reach.”

“I thought we had a great pool of finalists,” she said. “Each one brought their own strong suit to the position.”

She also said Hill and Villard had the “strongest marketing background” of those interviewed.

The five candidates were selected from a pool that included applicants from across the country.

Villard has lived in Craig for 35 years and has worked with the MCTA for two years as a board alternate. She also is part of the Northwest Colorado Cultural Heritage Tourism program and Moffat County Farm Bureau.

Hill worked for a marketing firm that marketed specific destinations, including Colorado and other locations, by developing Web sites, CDs and DVDs, MacGregor said.

The MCTA director’s position was last held by Michelle Balleck, current Craig Daily Press online content producer, who resigned in November 2009.

The director position is charged with the development of tourism within Moffat County through advertising, sponsorships and working with the media.

The MCTA board is made up of seven members and one alternate.

MCTA was established in 1989 and receives funding from the county’s 1.9 percent lodging tax.

MCTA has been planning its next marketing campaign after debuting the slogan “rugged landscapes, rugged adventure, rugged Moffat County,” in the fourth quarter of 2009, MacGregor said.

Comments

hummers 4 years, 1 month ago

I believe in what Bryce Jacobson is passionate about and that is SHOP LOCAL. I feel that we also need to HIRE LOCAL. Melody Villard has only been an alternate since January 2010. She has been very active on the board for 2 years. Being elected board chairperson for the 2009 year. She was asked to step down until the hiring processess was completed, which she cordially did. This was asked of her due to Michelle Balleck's insecurity about a comment made in a public meeting. Melody Villard has lived here her entire life, that should qualify her for HIRE LOCAL. Especially when that local has a working knowledge of the boards directions and how it operates. She can save the county time and money as she is ready to go today. There would be no lag time in completing things as she is already trained.

native_craig_guy 4 years, 1 month ago

Serving on local boards is no substitute for actually having practical marketing skills. It does not appear to me that Mrs. Villard has the same qualifications as the individual from Parker. She may be the "most qualified local" but I do not see how she is the most qualified.

hummers 4 years, 1 month ago

Melody Villard has been marketing their ranch on a local and national level for 15 years Selling hunters on what a great opportunity they have here. Creatively marketing their products, Lamb and wool. She owns and operates Villard Bertique on line. But 4 years ago she used her marketing skills on site at the store. She has great artistic talent, ask the Parrot Head club who whipped out their Toddy Bar signs at the Winter Festival. She lost out last year to Michelle Balleck who had a college education. That did not stop her from continuing to work with the MTCA which she seems to love. She may not have a paper saying how qualified she is, but she has proven it with her work.

craigcampnfamlee 4 years, 1 month ago

It is my hope that the MCTA director chosen has more marketing experience than just marketing a bunch of sheep. Moffat County is a vast beautiful area with many assets to market and somehow being a rancher & marketing your own ranch doesn't qualify someone to take on a huge endeavor like Moffat County. Besides if she was demoted from Chair to Alternate doesn't that say something about her performance as Chair? I support the shop local, but I am more concerned about hiring a director that can farther the reach of this county to those outside our area. That is what tourism is all about, right?

Heartache 4 years, 1 month ago

I can't believe anyone who has worked so passionately to keep the MCTA on goal with creative ideas, strong skills, and the ability to get the various projects completed would not be considered as the next director of MCTA. If certain people would stop the back dooring, parking lot discussions, and failure to support the goals of the MCTA, then this selection would have been completed in a much better time frame. Ask the former board members why things didn't get done under the resigned director and get the facts! The lack of ethics is always a problem, and the failure to act responsible is another character flaw which sometimes causes failures of groups to gain results. It will be an interesting topic for the future of boards in the County. It doesn't take a degree to market Moffat County, it takes someone with knowledge of the area, a dedication, persistence, creative mind, good interpersonal skills, leadership, and the ability to cut through the Moffat County BS to get results. And I am certain that Melody Villard has those qualities and has shown she can do the job without all the crying from past individuals who attempted to do the job. Just Cowgirl Up!

hummers 4 years, 1 month ago

Your probably right about the sheep, they aren't such a big deal. Although the sheep put Craig on the map with Dirty Jobs show. Was she demoted? unlike the other hard working board members that were kicked off, Commissioner Audrey Danner must have thought she was valuale enough to keep as an alternate Commissioner Tom Gray said he didn’t like the thought of overhauling the board, and that the commission’s decision was in no way a reflection of the service that current and past board members gave to the community.

“I think we do practice rotating positions of boards,” Gray said, referring to an informal policy of giving as many residents as possible a chance to volunteer. “I think we had an inordinate number of terms expiring right now.” About reaching outside the county, who else on the board accompanied her to an expo in Denver, Governors conference in Denver, program in Pueblo, and Grand Junction, even though she had been demoted to Alternate. Looks like a few are the worker bees and the rest are the queen bees I agree with Heartache, Melody seems to be conducting herself in a professional manner and just doing the job. There does seem to be alot of politicing, involved with this hiring endeavor, unlike when Michelle Balleck was uneventfully hired a year ago.

dogfan 4 years, 1 month ago

Obviously a college education didn't help with the last director. I think Melody would do an excellent job. Being a Moffat County resident her whole life gives her a little more pride in the community.

Heartache 4 years, 1 month ago

And have you heard that the Chair of the MCTA Board wore sweats to the interviews? Gosh, isn't that a nice way to show how professional that board is -- you only get to make a first impression once. I hope it was just a rumor and not the truth. I wonder if those who interviewed wore sweats to the interview? And how did those who interviewed learn of the two who were determined to be finalists? Facebook blogs? Another stunning example of how we are perceived in Moffat County, and people wonder why large businesses are banging down the doors to bring their companies here. Time for accountability, respect for others, tact, integrity, ethics, and finally LEADERSHIP! There are people in this community that have hired more employees, participated and conducted more interviews than the entire members of MCTA Board aside from those who actually have businesses. At least those board members know what is needed for a director to achieve the goals as set by the Board. This is such an unfair but expected process by a few people who think the Board is theirpersonal club, or sorority.

Cowgirl Up!

Sumarjn 4 years, 1 month ago

Ok ~ I have decided this matter:

Melody Villard <----------

sheep4ewe 4 years, 1 month ago

Hey if she can market SHEEP she can market anything.

sheep4ewe 4 years, 1 month ago

hey craigcampingfamlee, What did she do to get demoted?

craigcampnfamlee 4 years, 1 month ago

Sheep4ewe IDK you would have to ask the commissioners as they were the ones to demote her!

yummy101 4 years, 1 month ago

Maybe it had something to do with her personality and the lack of her interpersonal skills...Oh and maybe the grudge she carried against Michelle Balleck for beating her out of the job the first time...Who knows?

craigcampnfamlee 4 years, 1 month ago

All very good thoughts yummy..I tend to think that MCTA has forgotten that they are volunteers..maybe they should run for commissioners or wait maybe Melody should run for commissioner since she is why MCTA is such a success!!

cccbuds 4 years, 1 month ago

Yummy101 you must be new to craig. Melody is involved with so much and everyone says how fun she is and what a great personalty she has. Could it be that the grudge you have heard of is perceived by Michelle. How could Melody have such power to make Michelle nervouse if Michelle was doing her job.

Heartache 4 years, 1 month ago

Meow --- milk bowl a little low this evening. Interesting case of politics which still has a big legal mountain ahead of them. Perhaps the ACLU needs to take a look at Moffat County like they did with the City of Craig. Lack of interpersonal skills --- that's not the majority opinion of those within and outside of Moffat County. Global views are difficult for those of narrow minds......

cccbuds 4 years, 1 month ago

Craigcampnfamlee, I know you are being sarcastic, but you do have a point. Melody has voluntarily worked very hard to make MCTA a success. She would not make a good commissioner she doesn't subscribe to the political crap.

yummy101 4 years, 1 month ago

No cccbuds, I am not new to Craig. I am in fact a Craig native. I have had several occassions to work with and around Melody. You all seem to question the job that Michelle did as the MCTA Director, yet do you realize that she worked for the Board and was subject to their every whim? Maybe the Board should have let the Director do the job that she was tasked to do...So ultimately the question is just how well do you really know her and how much are you willing to believe?

schoolmarm 4 years, 1 month ago

whoa this is getting interesting. Some sounds like fact and some like gossip. Here is another angle not yet weighed in. In a local business it was overheard from a gal selling advertising, I don't know if from the press or radio station. This was months ago, she said Michelle quit because she was about to be fired because of lack of productivity.????

yummy101 4 years, 1 month ago

Schoolmarm....really...you are taking something that someone told someone that someone overheard and putting it out there for vultures to twist around...what a shame...

schoolmarm 4 years, 1 month ago

Well Yummy101 it is well know in Craig that Rumors are concidered sacred. I see alot of that in these blogs tonight

yummy101 4 years, 1 month ago

So you know first-hand that things mentioned in these posts are rumors?

Speaking for myself, I have posted my opinion. Something that I thought long and hard about before doing. I just hope that the selection committee considers that the "local choice" might not be the best...Maybe it is time to get someone in that can convince this board to spend some of the $200,000 they have in the bank on improving the existing events and that we can make those events better. Maybe they can give more than $500 to Whittle The Wood when it brings in such a great amount of revenue for the City and the County!

And again, please don't spread information about things that you have no immediate knowledge of, it just makes you look bad...

cccbuds 4 years, 1 month ago

I pray that the selection committee truely looks at themselves and makes a decision based on the facts contained in the applicants resumes. I pray that they believe in GOD and are honest, and know that at the end of the day they must look themselves in the mirror and be able to say that they followed their heart and mind not the gossip.

cherylinyampa 4 years, 1 month ago

Beginning 1 of 3…

I have researched and reviewed the MCTA saga that has taken place of a number of years and this newly minted selection of the next Executive Director is just an extension of the long running soap opera that surrounds the MCTA board and the inability of the BOCC to reign in this out of control board. The board has constantly made illogical decisions and has struggled consistently in the past to choose the best and most qualified person for the position.

There is a lot of gossip and name calling on this thread and a lot of discussion about why the main and most important criteria for choosing the next director should be to hire ‘local only.’ I think it would be great to hire a ‘local’ if we were looking to hire a tour guide, but from what I can tell, that is not what the duties for this position entail. It seems as the ‘hire local only’ slogan has not worked in the hiring of the last 3 directors in just over the same number of years.

It seems like to me that the MCTA board and the BOCC to whom the board reports would want to bring in the best person that can work the vision of the board, but also has real marketing knowledge and has the ability to go outside of Moffat County and bring in the most tourism revenue for the struggling small business owners who depend highly on tourism in the county to make a living.

Frankly, I could care less about the personal politics of the current or past members of the board, but as a local business owner, I want the best and most sophisticated leader in the director position. This is not a personality contest and I don’t care how much fun the person is and if they have a great personality, because if that was an important aspect of the job, I would hire a bunch of students to do the job. Don't get me wrong, I want someone who is personable, will go outside of the county, bring in large dollars and knows how to talk to the media, public relation companies and tourism guides from around the country. I want the person to have a vision and broad skill set, plus real world working experience to grow the tourism of the county year-over-year by 5-10%.

Seriously, I didn’t know that the position was a popularity contest for the most fun person and needs to have power lavished on them or the board, I just want to feed my family and that is why hiring the right person for the position is so important to the county. (continued…)

cherylinyampa 4 years, 1 month ago

Continued 2 of 3…

Yes, I agree that one does not need to have a college degree to be successful, but I do believe that it is important that the candidate have a diverse background in marketing, communications, strategic leadership and can show tangible results. This isn’t an administrative job, this is a real world high level marketing executive position and one that can make or break the growth of the county.

My questions are as follow: • Why have so little of the revenue dollars received by the board in the past, actually been spent on advertising and promotion? Approximately 25-40% of the revenue over the last 5 years been spent on real advertising according to the publicly available audited budget of the MCTA. • Why can’t the board keep the director position filled for more than a year? Is there something inherently bad about the people who have held the position in the past, or is the board just impossible to work with/for? • Why does the MCTA board continue to carry forward such a large surplus, over $246,000 currently, when the dollars they receive from the paltry 1.9% lodging tax could be used to fully market Moffat County? • Why do we have such a low lodging tax rate, when most other tourist type towns in Colorado have a minimum of 4-15% lodging tax, which by the way is not paid by local residents, but only by tourists? • Why has there been so much emphasis in this thread been placed on the new director knowing the workings of the board; again it is not the board to who the director serves, it is the community. The board is there to help the director be successful, not the other way around. • Why doesn’t the board believe in supporting financially local existing programs that could bring in larger tourism dollars to the county and insist on so many ‘new’ programs that have not paid off in the recent past? • Why is there such a ridiculous Grant Application to receive dollars from the MCTA for local events? What is the purpose of the application being so cumbersome and what benefit does the Grantor and the Grantee receive due to its length? (continued…)

cherylinyampa 4 years, 1 month ago

Continued 3 of 3…

Additionally, I don’t think that a person is qualified to be an Executive Director because they can make pretty signs or because they know the inner workings of the board. If I want a graphic designer, I will let my fingers do the walkin’ in the Yellow Pages, and the last I checked, it isn’t the board to which this person truly serves, but the business owners, the BOCC and ultimately the residents of the county.

One last comment and this is directed at ‘cccbuds’: why is it so important that the new director believe in God, what does that have to do with being successful in the position? A person either subscribes or does not subscribe to a particular religious dogma, but it doesn’t make them any more ethical than anyone else, nor does it dictate whether they are an excellent marketer or communicator. Besides, if ‘God’ were so interested in this position, he would have applied and more than likely been rejected because he wouldn’t bend to the daily whims of the board.

Truly, this overall thread is an embarrassment to the county. I hope that if outside candidate reads the thread that she is not scared off by the childlike name calling that appears herein. Hopefully however, she fully understands what a Pandora’s Box she might be stepping into if she is offered the position over Ms. Villard and that many people will actively work to sabotage her efforts to bring increased dollars to the county.

Thank you.

schoolmarm 4 years, 1 month ago

Cherylinyampa, great job. Not so much politics in your blog, more facts. With all the interference from the board and Christine Curry at the Chamber of Commerce trying to run MCTA too, I wonder why Mrs Villard would even want the job. I wonder if the gal from out of town knows of all of this. I see on Facebook that Christine Curry and most of the new board members and Commissioner Danner are friends. That doesn't bode well for the new director who's board as you say is supposed to help the director be successful. That may be the answer to your question why 3 directors in 3 years. Mrs Villard applied for the job last year, then was on the board and yet she still applies again. I hope if she gets the job or who ever gets the job, she has the strength to direct and not be directed.

cccbuds 4 years, 1 month ago

If the new board is all friends on Facebook and off, it makes you think that Michelle Balleck was picking her own board last November. Why Quit then?

Melody Villard 4 years, 1 month ago

I think it is interesting how willing people are to say ANYTHING when they are able to hide behind a user name. There seems to be a great deal of interest in this matter. However, not one person has taken the time to contact me personally to ask any questions aside from the reporter of this article. I was informed of the Board’s decision by Brian Smith. I have still not heard from the board, but I would like to make a few comments myself. I did not have a problem with the board hiring a person who they thought was the right person for the job. I fully backed the decision made as I have done with so many other board decisions. Not always because I agreed, but because on a board that is what you do. You come to a consensus and you SUPPORT your board. I wholeheartedly believe in the mission of this board. I made a commitment to the board BEFORE I applied for the position in 2008. I fulfilled that commitment in 2009. From the commissioner’s comments to myself, I was not demoted. They simply wanted to give other interested community members an opportunity to serve their community through this board. Commissioner Danner encouraged her constituents, during her State of the County address, to contact your commissioners with your questions or concerns. I would also encourage any of you to contact the commissioners yourselves if you would like more clear answers. I know from my own personal experience that all three of them are very accessible and willing to share their time with any of you. I would also like to say that I am very proud of the rich history and heritage, and the opportunity to be involved in Moffat County’s sheep industry. Not only through successful ranch endeavors, who we also owe thanks to the generations before us, but through the chance to promote and educate our youth and community through a very successful event centered on that very industry. I would argue that a national television program such as Dirty Jobs certainly wasn’t the driving force behind sheep putting Craig on the map. When the rail lines in Craig were very active we used to be one of the largest wool shipping centers in the world. In May 1956, 500 wool producers in northwestern Colorado, southern Wyoming and eastern Utah shipped 3.5 million pounds of wool from the warehouse in Craig. I would also say that the Dirty Jobs program, Mike Rowe’s many keynote speeches in which he continues to talk about his experiences here, and the online forum that we were invited to be a part of as tradesmen certainly do not hurt in keeping Craig in front of millions of potential visitors.

Melody Villard 4 years, 1 month ago

(continued) I have a very deep passion for this community. I am willing to stand behind that passion. If that has earned the comments from those who have claimed to have occasion to work around and with me, but who are unwilling to put their name behind their passion, so be it. I’m also not sure you can gather a complete view of my background and skills from the article or anonymous comments above. I happen to agree with several points brought forth by cherylinyampa. Your research however is a little off. Only one of the past three directors for the MCTA board has been a “local buy”. The political jockeying over the past six months or better has set progress of the board behind. Instead of working on the tasks at hand, we are still trudging along to even move forward in the least bit. You stated “I would like to know if either candidate has in their professional working history, developed a number of diverse marketing plans and can do conduct a readout of the results after implementing those plans. Can they track the frequency and reach of whatever campaign they develop and can they properly project ROI for the county and track those numbers to each campaign and how my business grew or contracted from those marketing and communication activities?” and “I just want to feed my family and that is why hiring the right person for the position is so important to the county.” I too have a family that depends on the sustainability of the businesses in this county. Tourism should be considered a business and not an activity to that end. I’m not sure one could stay successfully in a business without being able to manage diverse marketing plans as our economic climate changes. Projecting the return and impact on individual businesses in the community relies heavily on those businesses communicating with local entities such as the tourism and economic development boards. I would encourage you to come to our public meetings and address the issues that you have here. I believe that some of the misinformation could be cleared up to your satisfaction, and I know the board would welcome your interest and perspective. I would also welcome anyone with questions or concerns to contact myself or the other capable board members to discuss them. Thank you. Melody Villard

cowgirl 4 years, 1 month ago

I must say Melody, you have got guts. Kudos on your professionalism.

Marilynn Hill 4 years, 1 month ago

I would like to make a one time statement, as I am one of the two finalists being considered for the position of Director for the Moffat County Tourism Association (MCTA). There seems to be a number of derogatory comments made about Mrs. Villard, the process and specific board members. I believe it is unfortunate that these comments would be placed so as to possibly try to derail the hiring process. While I don’t know Mrs. Villard personally, I have met her on a number of occasions, albeit only briefly and she has always presented herself in a professional manner. I believe Mrs. Villard has only the best intentions in applying for the position and want to thank her for time she gives back to the community.

In my professional opinion, the interviews were conducted in a professional manner, with timely and pointed questions asked of the applicants. All communications from the board and MOCO have been professional and related to the process itself. With my limited knowledge, it was not the board who published who the finalists where, and therefore the decision to disclose the names of finalists before the hiring discussion took place on February 25th, was solely the decision of the Craig Daily Press. I too found out that I was one of two finalists through electronic media; however, I have not been contacted by the author, Brian Smith.

On a personal note, I am a fourth generation Coloradoan, with my family coming to the Colorado Territory in 1862 and 1867, respectively. My father’s family founded Sanford, Colorado, which still thrives in the San Luis Valley and my mother’s family co-founded a small town, Mustang, which was located in the vicinity of Pueblo, Colorado in 1867, but like many small towns of the day, disappeared into the landscape of time. I may not be from Craig, but like Mrs. Villard, I am proud of the heritage of Colorado and proud to be a descendant of the strong men and women who helped shape Colorado. If anyone should like to ask questions regarding my professional qualifications, I would be happy to answer them, just email me or call me at the number below. However, I would like to request that questions pertaining to the interview process by the board or MOCO, be held until after the hiring decision has been made.

If you have questions of the MCTA board pertaining to the vision and/or its many programs, I would encourage you to contact the board members either individually or attend one of the meetings that are held within the community. If you would like to find out about upcoming events within the county, paste into your browser: http://www.moffatcountytourism.com/index.html and scroll to the bottom section, “Upcoming Moffat County Events” and click on the link that says, “Click here for a full listing of Moffat County's annual events!” By the way, it is a PDF file and therefore you can download it onto your desktop and keep it handy for future reference!

Thank you, Marilynn Hill 970-980-8406

cowgirl 4 years, 1 month ago

Marilynn Hill, you too are showing your professionalism. I am so glad to see 2 very fine candidates. Lessons could be learned by the above bloggers. Thank You

westslopeguy 4 years, 1 month ago

My, my! I was going to post a comment praising Ms. Villard for her professional response to the rants posted here attacking her personally, rather than her professional capabilities-which her appointment should or should not be based on. But then I saw Ms. Hill's post and was equally impressed by her professionalism. I do have to ask though Ms. Hill, after reading the idiotic posts from the past 3 days: Are you sure you'd accept the job if it were offered? I mean, you do see who you'll have to be "appeasing" and who your neighbors will be, don't you?

Either way, Props at ya' ladies. I wish you both the best of luck in your respective endeavors. A word of caution though: Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Paul

dlueck 4 years, 1 month ago

As one of the 5 finalist I was pleased to be interviewed by the board. The questions were written and read to each finalist while the board members took note of the responses. This was done in a professional manner. What was unfortunate was the untimely annoucement in the Daily Press. I congradulate Ms. Hill on her select to this position and sincerely hope she enjoys the forthcoming challenges as director. I would also like to welcome her to the community and hopes she enjoys living in Craig and Moffat County as much as I do.

pioneer 4 years, 1 month ago

After reading all these blogs my question is if Michelle Balleck felt that Melody Villard was carrying a grudge, whether real or perceived, why didn't she fo to the county's human resources office to complain.

goodforthegoose 4 years ago

You can now follow Commissioner Danner's bid to stay in Power on Facebook. You will be in good company with the same clique that worked closely with her to render the mcta board an ineffective rubber stamp board. Hardly working for the taxpayer's.

Heartache 4 years ago

How true and from your mouth to God's ear. Aside from a couple of members, there is no doubt it is a coven with its own agenda rather than what needs to be done to get more visitors to Moffat County. " Politics not as usual", like anyone would believe that slogan based on performance.

notme 4 years ago

If ms.villard is such an honest upstanding person ask her to tell you the truth about who actually contacted and got the ball rolling on the Dirty Jobs Show and then handed it off to her and see if she can be truthful about that. You have to start being honest somewhere.

Melody Villard 4 years ago

Great question! While we were going through the video tape application process at our then 5 year old son's request, since it is his favorite show, we got the following email from another fan who had contacted the message boards...

I would like to clarify the following comment first though…the sheep are not pretty much on their own…My partner in the sheep business (and husband) lives at sheep camp for the entire lambing season. Our brother-in-law, Jim, is also there for the majority of lambing. We do not just turn our livelihood over to the herders. This sheep operation is also not a family run business, unless you include the countless hours that Jim and his wife are by our side.

DOUG WAGONER dl_wagoner@msn.com wrote: …They are pretty much on their own except for a couple full time herders and dogs. The herders check on them everday, But don’t interfere unless there is a problem. It usually takes close to a month for all 1000 sheep to lamb. There really isnt much vet type stuff. We are a family run ranch, so a lot of work is done with the help of friends…..

----- Original Message ----- From: DOUG WAGONER To: Mary Bess Walker Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 7:05 PM Subject: Re: DIRTY JOBS show for sheep docking

Hi Mary, Still working on pictures for you. Since it looks like this will go through, I am going to put you in touch with my inlaws. They are the owners of the ranch and will work with you on all of the final detials. Albert and Melody Villard villardranch@msn.com or 970-824-9302. Thank you very much for this opprotunity! Hope to meet you in person, talk to you soon. Doug.

When we got this email is when we hung up the phone with Pilgrim Films and continued the process online. If there are any further questions you can start with the source this time, my information has been turned over above.

goodforthegoose 4 years ago

Wow, an honest answer and facts to back it up. Sort of unheard of here.

cowgirl 4 years ago

Notme sounds jealous of Melody Villard.

notme 4 years ago

notme knew the truth now everyone else does. And bets its the first time it was told in public. Maybe more people can take this lead and be honest. The End.

goodforthegoose 4 years ago

I knew the truth before the show aired. All you had to do is ask and Melody would have told you how they got on Dirty Jobs. What I find humorous is you call Melody out for this but you say nothing about Doug Wagner who misrepresented himself to get the attention of Dirty Jobs and then when it started to work out had to back up and let them know that he was not the owner and they would have to talk to the owners of the ranch. Then Melody and Albert had to go through the process as the owners of the ranch to host the show. Even worse for you is opening your mouth in regards to the Villards whose honesty, integrity, hard work, and attitude have made them a focal point of many speeches done both by Mike Rowe and others as a representation of people who step up and do the job, not pass it of to others and then complain when it goes wrong.

As mentioned by cowgirl, it sounds as if you are jealous. Maybe if you put as much effort into your day to day doings you would have some to be proud of like the Villards do.

notme 4 years ago

If I had to be proud like that i'd rather not be. And perhaps you should get your story straight before you spout off about something you have only been told how it happened. If you would reread melodys response you would realize that it just so happened that she was on the phone the same exact time as doug was on line with dirty jobs what a coincedence???????????? Also I am not here to have a spitting match with you, you think you know the truth while I know the truth. It is out there now so my work here is done and I have nothing else to say on the subject have a nice day where ever your truth may lead you... Also Doug Wagoner had nothing to do with me writing this letter so To Doug Wagoner I apologize if it has caused him any harm. I will not speak any further on this subject. Good Day.

bplummer 4 years ago

I got to reading this column and noticed that my son Doug Wagoner and Melody Villard are being drug thru the mud so that you have something to talk about well talk about this GET A LIFE AND CLEAN UP YOUR OWN BACKYARD BEFORE YOU TRY TO PLAY IN SOMEONE ELSES. This is a family you are trying to come in between so stay out of it. Let it lay. Dont let this end up like the one on the kid that got a ticket. Enough is enough.

goodforthegoose 4 years ago

notme Mrs.Villard's response doesn't say she was on the phone at the exact same time as he was online. From someone who does know the truth her point is that they were involved in the process one way when Mr.Wagner represented himself in another. If you meant no harm to him, and you are so sure of the truth, why would you post knowing that the truth involves him in this way. What do you have to gain to pick apart a process that ultimately had to be the decision of the owners anyway. What if Mr.Wagner had gone through all of the trouble representing himself and then had to get the owners permission and they had said no thanks? Further, what does your post have to do with and article for the hiring of a tourism director. Why would you post it so long AFTER the decision had been made? Your input had no chance of any bearing on the decision and was only meant to lash out at someone you don't care for. Your post was meant to do harm. Next time, don't hide online, ask face to face. I have. Your job has not been done here if you haven't done it thoroughly.

hummers 4 years ago

notme is the only one who didn’t know the truth. Doesn’t look like Melody Villard has anything to hide. Twice now on this blog she has answered with her own name. Not hiding behind an anonymous user name. Note that she said her son who at the time was 5 came up with the idea, I know when he was 5 that was long before January 2006. you seem to dislike Melody so much it is clouding your mind. In her answer to you she said they hung up the phone and pursued it online, you took that literally. Earlier in that message she indicated that they had already sent in a video and application. Does that mean that they did that the same day they were on the phone with the production company and the same day they got the email about Doug Wagner’s post? Keep up the hate mail on Melody Villard, her responses show the character, honesty and integrity she has and is making all you disenters look ignorant