Bryce Jacobson: Mayor, commissioner miss the point — again

Bryce Jacobson, Publisher's Notebook

Bryce Jacobson's "Publisher's Notebook" appears periodically in the Craig Daily Press. E-mail him at bjacobson@craigdailypress.com

At Friday night’s State of the County event, Craig Mayor Don Jones and Moffat County commissioner Audrey Danner boasted about the amount of money their respective groups have available in reserves as a good thing.

Jones even went as far as criticizing “special interests” — a phrase I think to be a not-so-thinly veiled jab at the newspaper and myself — for being critical of keeping these reserves in the past.

Since the mayor and commissioner seem to have missed the point once again, let me clarify.

I think the reserve money the city and county have are too high.

It has been my opinion in the past, just as it is now, that if government agencies have reserves in the amount that our city and county has had, they should either give it back to the taxpayers or use it to diversify our economy.

Had we taken that extra money — money our governments apparently didn’t need, otherwise, it would have been used for services — and put it to the wise use of recruiting additional business or businesses that employ 100-plus people, maybe our community wouldn’t be in the tenuous financial position it’s in today.

Which is it?

Sticking with Jones’ speech Friday night, he further criticized “special interests” and made a point that the American Civil Liberties Union involvement in the Francisco Reina case was an example of people in other places trying to make decisions for residents.

Later in his speech, Jones explained why he supports allowing the state to implement legislation regarding the distribution of medical marijuana.

It seems to me that the mayor contradicted himself.

Which is it, Mr. Mayor?

Are you going to be a leader and stand up for Craig residents making their own decisions, or are you going to rely on outside people to make decisions for you?

Or does it lie somewhere in the middle?

Perhaps it’s a matter of this: If there’s a difficult decision, you’ll allow someone else to make it for us, and if it’s an easy decision, you’ll allow us to make that decision ourselves.

Perhaps the mayor thinks he can have it both ways.

That’s my opinion.

The mayor makes a habit of criticizing the newspaper and myself for our position and opinions, hence the reason I publish this on the day of a scheduled city council meeting and county commission meeting.

If you have an opinion either way, the place to vet these ideas is with your elected officials.

They might criticize you for it later, but it is important that they hear from you.

Comments

dexter 4 years, 9 months ago

Bryce, you are a good guy and I like you, but it is to bad that you feel it necessary to air this disagreement publicly in the way that you have. I did not attend the dinner last week because I was ill, and so no, I did not hear what the mayor said about the paper and you. However, I am sure that those who heard it was small in number compared to the number of readers of this newspaper. I wonder had the mayor written something like this about you would it have made it in the paper? As for the County having so much in reserve, I would like to hear more about their intentions. This is my opinion.

kp81625 4 years, 9 months ago

Mr. Jacobson, I have to disagree with you on all counts. I think you are a hypocrite and as editor of the local paper I think you should refrain from commenting on the mayor's speech. Unless you are ready to step up to the plate and run in the mayoral election, please sit down and keep your mouth shut.

Colette Erickson 4 years, 9 months ago

Please begin to include time/location/etc... info. regarding council meetings in the "Datebook" section of the paper. Council doesn't seem to feel it is important to do so, nor is this information found on the city web site. Thanks.

Craig1234 4 years, 9 months ago

Bryce, Thank You for writing this and don't stop writing your opinions and don't hold back. It is your job to inform us and your right to express your opinion. This community needs more people with a voice. As per this topic, I agree that the reserves are excessive. This would not be tolerated with Public Companies. If the company had excessive reserves it would have to be used to grow the company or go back to the investors. Government should be treated no differently. They need to spend this money or give it back just like you said. Personally I'd prefer they spend it on growing our community. As in business, if your not growing your dying

Vermillion 4 years, 9 months ago

Bryce, keeping writing your opinions. Quite often I don't agree with your conclusions, it is very important to have a discussion of the issues. The media is the Fourth Estate that keeps track and advises the citizens as to government actions. The city council's action in the Reina case is reprehensible. They were advised that the charter provision was unconstitutional but instructed the City Attorney to prosecute Mr. Reina. The involvement by the ACLU was solely caused by the City's actions. The economic development organization has been a joke for the last 40 years. Is has not produced any jobs in the community, but just spent tax dollars.

jeff corriveau 4 years, 9 months ago

Bryce: OK we all know you are the publisher, not the editor but keep writing your opinions anyway. Even if you are wrong! So let me get this right: You want our local government to take tax money, under the guise of creating jobs, and dole it out to "whomever"? Is that right? Sounds a little like what's going on in DC, which hasn't exactly worked out very well. I want to remind everyone that it wasn't very long ago we had a Board of County Commssioners who were REALLY good at spending tax dollars and it just about broke the county. Let's learn from that mistake, please!!!! Having a healthy reserve fund, especially in these trying times, is very much the prudent thing to do.

CindyLou 4 years, 9 months ago

Isn't city revenue generated mostly by sales tax and fees? How in the world would you develope a system that would refund the money to the masses? Ok so you lower taxes and then raise taxes and then lower taxes. Can you imagine the logistical nightmare that would create? You'd have to hire five new staff members just to manage that type of system and then there goes all of your surplus. CRAIG123 what school of economics and business did you flunk out of? Sure share holders like dividends but any good business has reserves if its run properly. Sure our hospital like to operate with no cash reserves but those businesses that want to be successful always have cash on hand. Yes money can be used to grow a business but you have to have good projects to spend the money on or your just throwing money away. I like the idea that the money could be used to attract new businesses to the area and since we have such a great interstate highway system connecting craig to the outside world and high unemployment and lots of cheap skilled labor, tons of company's would kill to move here if they just had a small tax break. Oh wait! We don't have good highways connecting us, our unemployement is still relatively low, and our wage base is pretty high, so tell me WHO is going to bring a 100+ employee business here? Yeah that's what I thought, NO ONE! Outside of large energy (State and Feds have control on who comes here not city and county) 99% of business in this region is small business and you'd have to attract a crap load of small business (non-ethnic food rest.) to make up the difference both in the short run and the long run.

While I agree that MR. Jacobson does have a right to voice his oppinion and that the Daily Press is the right place to voice it, I disagree with what he has to say. A lot of easy decision don't require much discussion or input, but when you are looking at something new and different it isn't a bad idea to see what other presedences exist. That's how good businesses opperate more or less, its called bench marking.

I applaud the city and thte county for not spending beyond their means and being in a hole like the rest of the state. It was just plain old good fiscal policy that has put us in this position and I invite anyone to provide even one sensible argument to what I have to say because I doubt you can. Say what you may Daily Press, just eat crow and admit the current policy was the correct course of action over the last five years.

als362 4 years, 9 months ago

The city and county should keep money in reserve. What would happen if they spent every dime they had then some sort of emergency arose? Does Mr. Jacobsen spend every penny he has, or does he save some for a rainy day? I bet he saves some. I know I do. It is absolutely necessary to have funds in savings bank for unexpected costs.

winterbottom 4 years, 9 months ago

Bryce, I think you missed a third alternative to what the mayor and the rest of the council will do when it comes to making a decision. If the decision is too tough, they'll just do nothing and wait for everyone to forget. Look at the Ken Johnson stuff. Maybe the police chief and the others in leadership over there aren't corrupt, maybe they weren't trying to cover anything up. If that's true, they were still either too arrogant or too stupid to see what was going on, which in my mind still makes them unfit for the job. Our mayor would rather we all forget about it and just move on and trust the people in charge. Go ahead and ask him to his face. When I did he just shrugged his shoulders, asked me what he should do and then didn't listen to anything I had to say.

Maybe if more people voted we could have gotten Don Jones out of office by now.

P51 4 years, 9 months ago

I would like to comment on a part of your editorial. The mayor's comment about the "ACLU making a decision for residents". What a strange way to look at reality. I thought the Supreme Court made the decision not the ACLU. And didn't the Craig city council get advice from the Craig Attorney not to proceed with the the Renia case. The mayor must think like MOST Republicans: "It's civil rights, therefore we must oppose it". What a pea brain. The ACLU interprets current law and then protects those who are denied their "civil rights". Who cares if the Moffat county voters voted to retain a law that violates current law. There are other ways to change the law than getting mad and casting a vote against "civil rights". What the mayor said in a sentence is "I'm clueless". We know that most Republicans don't like the ACLU. Ever since President Eisenhower sent Federal troops into Little Rock Arkansas to protect black students who wanted to attend Central High School in the 1950's. They have been against basic civil rights. What a shame.

bock777 4 years, 9 months ago

P51:

You may want to brush up on some facts. Arkansas Governor Orval Faubus, a Democrat, was the one who insisted on National Guard troops preventing black students from attending school in 1957, thus denying them their civil rights from the racial integration decision made in 1954's Brown v. Board of Education. President Eisenhower, a Republican, withdrew the troops but sent additional military personnel to ensure integration was being upheld. So, you may want not want to point too many fingers when it comes to political parties...

hanginj 4 years, 9 months ago

I like you Bryce, and your recent words remind me why I do. Keep poking away, people will gain a history lesson and begin to grasp the purity of common sense.

George Robertson 4 years, 9 months ago

Bryce Jacobson's "Publisher's Notebook" appears periodically in the Craig Daily Press. (basically whenever he feels like it). Too bad the Mayor doesn't also have the same bully pulpit. As a journalist aren't you supposed to present an "unbiased" account of the facts? This City has been a boom/bust venture since it's inception. Many times in the past had the city fathers not kept a healthy reserve, the bust would have meant the cities demise. Based on the current economic situation, I think the Mayor and the city counsel are being nothing less that prudent!

John Kinkaid 4 years, 9 months ago

If the county and the city have surplus funds, bless them. Money is going to get even tighter in the months to come.

Bryce is wrong in this instance. Don't spend all that you have, just because you can. Save for a rainy day (like now). Our economy has not bottomed out yet.

If you want economic development, support the removal of elected and unelected officials who are halting energy development (coal, gas and oil).

serenity9700 4 years, 9 months ago

Use the surplus money for "recruiting additional business or businesses that employ 100-plus people"???--look at the EDP track record to see what a waste that would be.

And "maybe our community wouldn’t be in the tenuous financial position it’s in today" ??? Is having money in the bank a "tenuous financial position???"

P51 4 years, 9 months ago

BOCK 777: Oh my gosh I didn't realize that IKE was a Republican and that most of the southern Governors were Democrats, wow what a smart person you are. I suppose Abraham Lincoln was a Republican. Wow what a smart person you are. And I also didn't realize that a lot of Black people had been elected (as Republicans) all through the south. And I also didn't know that Democrats murdered these black Republicans through out the south. Thanks for pointing that out. What is this all about??? you must be a stupid Republican who doesn't like it one bit when someone criticizes you. eh? Oh and another thing that I didn't know was that the Hero of the Conservative movement William F. Buckley actually condemned one of the leaders of the Tea party jerks. yea the "John Birch Society". You had better brush up on your History .

CindyLou 4 years, 9 months ago

A few things are clear here. 1) Most of the people in Craig think Mr. Jacobson missed the boat on this topic, 2) P51 came across sounding pretty retarded (yeah I used the "R" word) on his last statement, 3) Nimrod's comment about the paper not being able to have an opion shows that he is not infact a Nimrod but a Dillrod, 4) the person who posts under the name '"hanginj" must be Mr. Jacobson's brother or wife or someone who owes him money 5) I would like to comment about what the person who posts under the name "winterbottom" said, but I can't think of anything dumb enough to match what he wrote.

bock777 4 years, 9 months ago

P51:

Thanks for the compliment about me being a smart person. How very civil of you.

George Robertson 4 years, 9 months ago

Wow that's quite a throne you have there CindyLou. I think it's time to flush it.

CindyLou 4 years, 9 months ago

Thanks P51 for the input, but if you go back and reread your post I am sure you'd agree with me. Don't take it personal though. You should embrace your handicap and not try to hide it.

GreyStone 4 years, 9 months ago

Might be interesting to know who exactly the Craig Mayor Don Jones and Moffat County commissioner’s define as “special interests” . .... Not the 11% of the community that turn out to vote .

Seems like the Mayor and Commissioners might realize the news paper represents a larger percentage of the community than the elected officials in this town.

CindyLou 4 years, 9 months ago

Greystone,

If you take an intro to statistics class at CNCC you would find that it doesn't generally matter if 11% of the population turns out or 100% of the population turns out to vote because the results are the same. Its the same reason that the Galup Poll people can talk to 50 random people comming out of a polling center and state that 60% of the people are voting this way or that. It's called "sampling" and its seldom wrong (+/- 3% on a bad day) Sure, only 11% might have voted, but Don would still have been ellected if 100% of the population would have turned out, but that 11% represented a random cross section of the population as a whole. The only way it would have changed is if the minority (the 40% who didn't vote for him) all turned out to vote and only half of the 60% (30% of the total pop.) who were in favor of him being elected had stayed home. Then 40% of the people would have voted to kick him out and 30% would have voted to keep him and 30% would have stayed home (Never argue with the data). IThey call that strategy "get out the vote." They don't want all the votes to get out there, just the ones that will vote their way.

Come back tomorrow where I will be covering Economics 101 with the rest of the class.

boxer21 4 years, 9 months ago

CindyLou:

I think you're completely out of your element. Inferential Statistics, or as you called it "sampling" from your CNCC class of basic statistics, (which is also offered by many high schools), works because people are chosen at "RANDOM." I highly doubt that RANDOM people voted. Inferential statistics works because a small number of people are chosen at random to make up a conclusion about the population. If this was truly "sampling," ballots would have been put in random mail boxes throughout Craig and only those people could vote. This would make up your inference. I'm sorry to tell you this but your last argument using statistics as a way to make your point is completely flawed.

I did however, enjoy reading that then your latter comment of trying to belittle other people and their OPINIONS.

For those reading CindyLou's comments, come back tomorrow where I will be covering "Asinine Remarks and their Effects on Your Reputation."

Pretty sure I'll have a full class for that one...

CindyLou 4 years, 9 months ago

You're funny boxer! You make me smile. You must think then that only certain people were allowed to vote or certain people were selected to vote based on how they would vote if you don't think that those that turned out did so randomly. Go ahead and read articles that aren't on google (or your high school text book) about this very fact and the vast majority of peer reviewed research says the exact same thing I stated above.

GreyStone 4 years, 9 months ago

cindylou,

Your point being ? That’s how politicians think….

My point is our community is suffering when only 11% of the population even cares enough to go vote.

Sort of shows what the majority thinks about their public officials.

boxer21 4 years, 9 months ago

Glad to make you smile...and I didn't say "only certain people" were allowed to vote. I'm just letting you know truly "random" people did not. In order for it to be truly random, voters would have to be picked sporadically. The people who did vote did not do so randomly, because they had a premeditated notion to vote in the way they did, so they chose to go vote. I'm sorry if this is over your head, it's hard to explain on this. To make it short and sweet, people WENT, on their own will, to go vote. If however, the ballots CAME to them, against their will or not, this would be your RANDOM SAMPLE. Also I know this was off topic so I'm done. The only reason I even posted was because you have been a little out of line with your comments this month. Oh well, I guess I'll respect your opinions if you respect mine.

By the way, that CNCC textbook you use is the same that high schools use. I know this because I "Googled" it.

; )

boxer21 4 years, 9 months ago

Keep posting GreyStone, sooner or later you'll be a chapter ahead of her in her CNCC textbook...

Also GreyStone made the real issue evident.

11% go vote... that's a shame.

CindyLou 4 years, 9 months ago

Jack in the Boxer and Greystoned you guys are putting me on right? I mean no one can really be this stupid right? It's an act or something isn't it......you're like getting ready to play Corky from Life Goes On in the Steamboat Summer theather right? Seriously now, exactly what grade were you in when you dropped out of MCHS? How about this, try reading something other than what on wikipedia. Go someplace like LexisNexis or Proquest and run a real search on this topic. There you will find articles written by people who have fancy degrees from schools you can hardly pronounce who will clearly tell you either don't know how to effectively do research or simply can't interpret the material you are reading. Voter turnout except in really, really tight elections don't mean a hill of crap. Whole volumes have been written on this subject matter. 11% or 90% and the outcome is still the same because those that do vote are a perfect cross section of the population as a whole. Unfortunately the publications that you find these types of articles in don't have finger painted pictures so it may be just a little over your heads. The ONLY countries where voter turnout is claimed to be 100% are places like Turkemnistan and Iraq back when it wasn't our 51st state.

Here's an extra point for you to chew on too. if 60% of the 11% who voted, voted for Mr. Jones then its the idiots that suscribe to your logic that failed to turn out and vote him out of office. And since moffat county is like 75% Reuplican, it would have taken about 60% turn out of your followers just to defeat Mr. Jones' meager Republicans that turned out last fall to support him. Just admit that your logic is flawed and I'll stop making fun of you. Or if you feel you still need to post something I am sure you can defend your argument about something you read in Annie's Mailbox.

boxer21 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm sorry CindyLou but nobody is going to take your comments serious if you continuously think it's funny and ok to make fun of specially handicapped people. That right there shows your maturity and character. Corky from life goes on....Really? I don't respect you as a person, therefore your time is a waste of mine. It's ok that you were wrong with your "Sampling" comment from basic statistics. I really don't care about the outcome from the voters. I merely posted because I don't respect you and thought someone should tell you you're wrong. So I did....and I"m done...

Next!

GreyStone 4 years, 9 months ago

Sadly, under that thin vacuum of superficial education, you, cindylou, are a poster child for genetics in deprivation.

native_craig_guy 4 years, 9 months ago

I do not think that Mr. Jacobson has an accurate picture of the realities of Moffat County. Craig does not provide the foundations for an economically feasible business model for larger employers to set up shop in Moffat County. We are a rural area that is somewhat removed from major cities and shipping lanes. There would be an increased cost in doing business just because of our remote location. The cost of living is also higher in Craig than in other areas of the state. It is my belief that due to our close proximity to Steamboat our real estate prices are artificially high, similar to our gas and food prices. The cost to build a building is more here than in Denver as well. When you add up all of the costs that are associated with setting up shop in Craig it becomes a burden. Remember also that we do not have a large skilled work force in Craig that a business would want. How many engineers, lawyers, qualified accountants or marketing folks do we have in Craig? Very few. They would have to move people in to man the bulk of the positions and lets face it you have to love Craig to move to it. Our weather is much more severe than in other parts of the state and excluding outdoor recreation there are limited  recreational opportunities. We have very little to offer families that move into our community, we have great schools but no recreation center to entice potential employees from larger cities. We are just not that marketable of a city for large corporations or businesses.

Craig is typically a boom and bust town and keeping financial reserves is a safe model to follow. Besides I am curious about how Mr. Jacobson suggests that we refund sales tax revenue to the citizens of Moffat County? Should we all turn in receipts and get money back from our purchases. A contributing factor as to why Colorado is in the pickle that it is in is due to the Tax Payers Bill of Rights (TABOR). Our schools are under funded, the only roads that get fixed are in major metropolitan areas (or they go directly to a ski resort) and our state is teetering on bankruptcy. The government needs money to run and lowering taxes combined with the increased demand on the system is not a viable option. I think that the taxes we pay are only going to increase across the board thanks to free spending and "rebates" that our government endorses. Sorry Bryce but I have to disagree with you on this one.

CindyLou 4 years, 9 months ago

Boxer and Greystone,

Doesn't change the fact that your comments and ideas suck. I don't ever start calling people retards unless they post retarded comments. It's my obligation, nay, it's my duty to call bull crap, bull crap when people post on this forum. Mr. Jacobson posted bull crap so a dozen people called him on it. Craig123 was reading his Captain Crunch decoder ring when he posted, Nimrod obviously has never read a news paper outside of the Tidbits publications, Hanginj is obviously related to Mr. Jacobson, greystone is a habitual offender of making stupid comments on this forum, and boxer21 somehow conveyed that the 11% who exercised their rights to vote were somehow a special interest group (yeah big conspiracy here.....kept all the opposition home on election night) and if they would have had the right to vote that Mr. Jones would have been defeated (THE PEOPLE SPOKE GET OVER IT!).

Stupid comments from stupid people shouldn't be allowed to go unchecked. You guys made stupid comments and I checked you on it (like Charlie Murphy did to Rick James when he put his muddy boots on Eddie's couch). Now you feel bad because you look like a tool and now I am suppose to feel bad? I don't think so (said in the "home alone tone" Maculay Culkin tone).

So to summarize: 1) Bryce is wrong - It is a good idea to save. 2) The paper is the place to state his oppinion 3) The Mayor was elected by the voice of the people 4) and Boxer and Greystone are tools.

That should just about cover it.

GreyStone 4 years, 9 months ago

And CindyLou is an Inbred, who will never get the point of voter apathy.

GreyStone 4 years, 9 months ago

As a result of voter apathy, corruption and ineptitude abound in government, which might be an explanation for the Francisco Reina case where the recommendation of the legal person was ignored at the expense of the community, then the officials point fingers at “special interests” as the source of their screw up.