Marla Jackson: Open to interpretation

I admit I did not read the article in the Post Script on homosexuality that pastor Dale Potter has referred to in his letters.

However, his letter certainly hit a hot spot with me.

I respect very much that he took verses from the Bible to prove his point, but I don’t believe that just because God created a man and a woman that he meant for every single person to mate and reproduce.

Of course, it takes a man and a woman to do so, but what about couples who marry and never have children? Are they committing mortal sins?

I have learned in my life that homosexuality has very little to actually do with sex and more to do with the chemical makeup in the brain. I sincerely believe that people are born either gay or straight.

Who in the world would choose to face the bigotry they face on a daily basis? And why would such a loving and forgiving God put someone on this Earth to live their entire life as a lie just to avoid not being who they truly are?

I think the Bible is a wonderful tool to build a foundation for a healthy life; I just think much of it is open to our own individual interpretations, not necessarily what has been shoved down our throats for generations.

And I, for one, do not believe homosexuality to be a sin. I suppose we will all be judged one day, and I hope that until then people could open their minds and really focus on what’s important, not the trivial stuff such as sexuality.

Marla Jackson

Comments

chefbaden 4 years, 10 months ago

Homosexuality: Who cares! Are they out robbing banks and little old ladies-NO!. Are they contributing to the economic system by buying products, investing in the community, buying homes-YES! I hate reading of this tirade put out by the bible thumping fools when its THEY who have no clue, the bible was not and IS NOT the real book of religion, the book of Pagans IS THE first and true religion, and says ALL beings ARE accepted as friends and family, and therefore will be respected if they respect us and our nature-as written by Olag, an Indian Prayer Man, LONG before christ had ever appeared

bringonthetruth 4 years, 10 months ago

It stuns me that everyone that is on the side of homosexuality are so hate filled. They hate that some do not or will not agree with them. As they pound their fists and say that people who do not agree with them are Bible thumpers and hate filled, are they not doing the thing that they are accusing others of? I have read all of the commentary that Pastor Potter submitted to the paper...I do not see how anyone in their right mind could accuse Pastor of being hateful. You who disagree with the Bible have your right to do so. But those who do agree also have their rights. Nobody has the obligation to agree with homosexuality. I think that everybody has a conscience that will tell them what is right and what is wrong, if they listen. Pastor Potter brought an idea to the table that was needed. If you don't agree, at least have the tact to practise what you preach.

Anitadunnce 4 years, 10 months ago

bringonthetruth: if you cannot fathom the problem with the hate-speech by Potter and his ilk, then you must have a brain the size of a pea, or serious head trauma that precludes you from fathoming the slightest concept.

The two most disgusting parts of your post are the following:
a) you fail to recognize that those "on the side of homosexuality" as you so inanely phrase it, simply want folks to be let alone to live their lives as they see fit, without interference and hate-speech from the likes of uneducated idiots like YOU. b) it is simply hideous that you and Potter and your mindless lemmings/nuts/phony, lying zealots haul out the Bible to support your ugly attacks on GLBT, when your attacks are the OPPOSITE of Jesus's teachings. You people and your ugly, nasty, self-righteousness are NOT spreading God's Word. There is NO one who believes that God wants you to harm other people or ostracize them or drive them to suicide..... the so-called "born-again Christians" can't believe that; the most conservative LDS can't believe that; even YOU cannot be so ignorant that you believe in what you are doing. Get a life! Then you won't have so much time to spend spreading hatred.

bringonthetruth 4 years, 10 months ago

The fact that there are people who cannot stand it that there are opinions that are'nt their own is not a new thought process. The former comment only cements the double standard that we all unfortunately have to endure. To be honest, not very many people know how to have a candid, honest conversation void of temper- tantrums. Another endurance test. Not one word that I have seen posted referring to the Bibles stance on homosexuality has been laced with anything but hope and truth. Hating someone for what they believe is never ok. God does not support that in scripture.You would be remiss to not notice that the "hateful" talk could go both ways. Please do not make things up to be mad about. There is enough out there as it is.Pastor Potter offered God's view's as it is stated in scripture. Where was his personal opinion stated? Did you read his opinion?

Anitadunnce 4 years, 10 months ago

bringonthetruth:

You're a clueless jerk. The only "truth and hope" that YOU are able to read in the Bible apparently stems from your forcing your will on others as you attempt to force others to YOUR narrow, niggardly manner of viewing the world. It is SO dishonest for you to twist and turn the words of the Bible to suit yourself and to feed and inflame your hatred of others, specifically GLBT.

BTW, you don't express yourself well enough for anyone with sense, intelligence, and education to want to have a "candid conversation" with you. I doubt whether you will improve or grow, as you cannot see the limitations of your ugly, controlling views. There is no question in my mind that you will die an embittered and frustrated person. Tough luck. Can't be too soon.

bringonthetruth 4 years, 10 months ago

I hope that people who have read the entirety of the information that has been posted on this particular subject have a better understanding of what this world is dealing with.God is the final judge, not you or I. We will all give account for our own decisions. Actually we will give account for every"idle word." I will leave the subject in the only hands that matter...Gods. I serve a merciful God who is all knowing,kind and just.Thankfully, it is He who has the final say.

McGruber 4 years, 10 months ago

There is no god, no santa claus and no easter bunny. Big Foot might be real... Get over yourself and treat other people with respect and mind your own business.