Dale Potter: Offering a different view

In the continuation of the “Hot Topic” mentioned in Monday’s Daily Press, I would like to remind the readers that the original point of discussion was what the Bible says about homosexuality. Other matters have crept into the discussion, such as the Bible and science (creation, “flat earth”) and the Bible and geology (the world-wide flood.)

The whole hornet’s nest was stirred up over whether the Bible is truly the Word of God or not, and whether one believes it enough to live by it or not. I am not insisting that anyone agree with me. I do not “hate” homosexuals.

I am giving the readers a viewpoint other than that which originally was stated by a young man in the high school newspaper. The viewpoint I present is that of God in the Bible.

Clearly the Bible teaches that homosexuality is a sin. It clearly teaches that God created the Earth in six days (Genesis 1 and 2) and that he is the one who holds it together (Colossians 1:17.) It teaches that God judged the world by flooding it, and started over with Noah and his family (Genesis 6-9.).

Whether or not a person today accepts God’s Word as authority is of course completely up to the individual.

The truth of scripture is evident to the mind that looks at the complexity and design of God’s creation and knows that such complexity and design cannot happen by chance, no matter how many billions of years are ascribed to it. There are evidences for the flood all over the world, being purposely ignored by scientists who present their theory of evolution as fact.

Clearly, the Founding Fathers believed the Bible as evidence by the scripture verses carved into the very walls of the buildings in Washington, D.C.

The results of our nation’s 20th century politically correct rejection of the Bible as our society’s standard of right and wrong has resulted in the deterioration of our behavior. People live as if they will never stand before the great white throne of God, and become angry when anyone in love tries to warn them.

The rejection of the Bible as truth also takes away hope for the future. This is a horrible crime against the God who (at the unfathomable cost of giving his perfect Son as the sin-bearer) holds out the truth of his great plan of salvation to all mankind.

It is a horrible crime against the people to whom God offers this great salvation.

In summary, the arguments and expressions of hatred are not against me. They are against God and his offer of salvation and hope for all mankind.

Dale Potter

Comments

saintoliver 4 years, 8 months ago

The Bible says that the earth is fixed and the planets and stars revolve around it.

The Bible says that eating shrimp and lobster is an abomination--is the pastor picketing Red Lobster?

The Bible says it is sinful to wear clothes made of blended fabric.

The Bible says if a woman is raped she must marry her rapist or be stoned to death.

GreyStone 4 years, 8 months ago

Might be mistaken but wasn’t the original discussion about “don’t ask don’t tell“. What the bible says about homosexuality is up for interpretation by each individual religious sect. The whole hornet’s nest was stirred up when you became interpreter of God’s law and your interpretation of the bible for every one to follow. How can you be so presumptuous to think that you are the chosen one to present the viewpoint of God in the Bible ? Seems a little sanctimonious…

Anitadunnce 4 years, 8 months ago

saintoliver: Brilliant post! Thank you for your input. With a bit of additional research, another 40 examples or more can be found in the Old Testament.

Lawspecialist, Potter, and their lemmings won't understand saintoliver's point, but many of us do. [lawspecialist: are you really "S"? If you are, this is very disappointing, as I had previously thought so highly of you before reading your views. I worry about your reaction if one of your daughters or your young son tell you one day that they are GLBT. How terribly hurtful your rejection of one or all of them will be. You have awesome children, and they deserve better.]

I appreciate what you have written, saintoliver. Thanks again for a great read and one of the more intelligent, sensible comments I have read here recently.

daybyday 4 years, 8 months ago

Pastor Potter, I just want to comment on the scientist portion of your letter because I believe it is important for people to understand that science and theology can not only co-exist, but are complimentary and possibly even necessary.

Some of the most brilliant, highly recognized and highly acclaimed men who were/are top in their fields of education, aeronautics, atmospheric, biochemistry, astronomy, medicine, physics, biology, geology and zoology (to name a few) are also Christians and believe in God. They are Nobel Prize winners in physics, quantum electronics, laser spectroscopy, cosmology, civil rights, chemistry, science, mathematics, and even palaeontology. They are or were NASA directors, authors, Harvard, Stanford, Cambridge, and Oxford professors, and they are physiologists in atonomic energy. Some of them set out on a mission to disprove God, and declared their faith in the process, and some of them are, quite literally, brain surgeons.

A list of names would be extraordinally long and incomplete. The list would include names that few will recognize, such as A. Wilder-Smith who achieved three doctorates in science, and also names that everyone will recognize like Pasteur and Pascal, Martin Luther King, C.S. Lewis, A. Schweitzer and Stephen Hawking.

Albert Einstein who was not considered a Christian, said this; "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." And, "If you ask me to prove what I believe, I can't. The mind can only proceed so far upon what it knows. There comes a point where the mind takes a higher plane of knowledge, but can never prove how it got there."

Wayne Thompson, a brilliant scientist said, "Do not be afraid to be free thinkers. If you think strongly enough, you will be forced by science to the belief in God." Another philosopher said, "There are two ways to slice easily through life, to believe everything, or to doubt everything. Both ways save us from thinking." Another said, "Science gives theology perspective, while theology gives science meaning."

And saving the best for last, the ultimate authority, "The heavens declare the glory of God. The skies proclaim the works of His hands." (so beautiful) In Paul's letter to the Romans he was inspired by God to write, "Since the creation of the world, God's invisible qualities - His external power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made."

Dynamo 4 years, 8 months ago

Dale, honestly? You forgot what you were originally discussing, because you have turned this into a 'Soap Box' to beat on homosexuality and tell them they are sinners while pretending to do exactly the opposite!

The original content of your first letter was a response to a High School paper article written by a highschool boy discussing and supporting congress' intent to change the outdated don't ask don't tell policy.

Really Dale... You are picking on a child who thank god, yes,.. GOD... is growing up not quite as biggoted as you.

Put your soap box away, enough bullying already. All you are doing is showing the town how far behind religion is with the rest of the free minded world, and all those also coming out in support of your biggotry are showing themselves for who they really are. And to all of you, and you know who you are, stop worrying about what others are doing and focus on not judging as your Bible tells you to do. Judge not etc... Worry about your own sins, and leave everyone else to worry about theirs in peace.

In closing, leave the boy alone. It took strength for the boy to openly support the subject, you should be ashamed of yourself!

George Robertson 4 years, 8 months ago

The one I saw was ecru and draped with a pink feather boa

native_craig_guy 4 years, 8 months ago

I think that this whole situation is absurd. Here we have a "pastor" self proclaimed interpreter of God's True Meaning who is spending his time bullying a high school student. I think that the young Mr. Browning should be commended for not playing into Mr. Potter's game. This issue has taken on a whole new meaning from the original article that was written. I am growing tired of Mr. Potter and his endless ranting about how he does not "hate" homosexuals yet he basically damns them. I don't agree with everything that Mr. Browning writes about, but I can't wait to see the reactions to his next article.

Lawspecialist 4 years, 8 months ago

anitadunnce: Thank you for the humor..... ha ha ha I had the greatest laugh! You're so funny! hee hee. Oh my gosh, let me stop laughing long enought to say this. Wait,,,,, wait... ok. Uh hummm, lol woooo ok ok..... first, lol.... I'm sure I'm not an "S", I don't relate to one letter titles or slang. lol oh wow, I need to stop laughing here....... second, worry about anything you want to, it's not productive, it just passes time and provides no results what so ever...... third..... hee hee, I don't even have a young son or daughter, ah ha ha ha ha ha.... and how you could possible think they're awesome is beyond me since they don't exist! ah ha ha ha ha ha ....... fourth, you don't even know who I am! lol lol lol oh my........ lol fifth, How can you "previously think highly" of someone whose identity is unknown to you!!! lol lol lol Maybe I have a twin I don't know about! You don't even know if I am a man or woman! ooooooooo, my stomach hurts from laughing.... let me stop. hee hee Let's see what the first three letters in the word "assume" are? lol Furthermore, I don't even live in Craig anymore!!! 30 years of that place was enough for me! bah ha ha ha ha! You would be most surprised if you could actually break through my firewall and find out who I am! Know me? know me??? ah ha ha ha ha, you DON'T know me!!! All those assumptions you made on all that hot air you breathe.... weeeeeeeee hee hee hee! That was great and thanks for the humor!

chefbaden 4 years, 8 months ago

Come on WE ALL know the bible is a bunch of hooey..The earth was created by a science called EVOLUTION. There IS too much science and information to DISPROVE the bible and god, it was a way for the government to control its people with FEAR, and so far it has worked, but those of US that KNOW the truth aren't afraid, we are just wary.

jamcolo 4 years, 8 months ago

Dale make it sound like the Christians are all together on this creation thing.That is not the case.

Progressive creationism also known as day-age creationism to harmonize the Bible with current scientific beliefs such as stellar evolution, and the fossil record. It assumes the days of the creation were actually broad lengths of time, and proposes that God separately created the various kinds of animals and later man, but over a long period of time. It also accepts the evolutionary time scale. Hugh Ross and the Reasons to Believe ministry teaches progressive creation.

Gap Theory Creation Assumes that a vast period of time elapsed between the first two verses of Genesis. Most variations of this theory interpret Genesis 1:1 as the first creation, which included the creation of the heavens, the earth, plants and animals, and even a race of humans preceding Adam. Billions of years then elapsed,durning that time Satan and Angels fell corrupted the inhabitants of the earth. God then judged and destroyed the earth and all its inhabitants. Thus, the earth became "formless and void"and remained that way for eons. The second creation, according to the gap theory, began in Genesis 1:3 with the first day of the (re)creation week—the familiar six-day creation.

Intelligent Design Theory (ID) Holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection. This group will not use the God word for fear of getting kicked out of public schools as religion. With this one the intelligent cause could be an advanced alien civilization.

In Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District Trial Judge John E. Jones III, who was nominated by President George W. Bush, made a very strong ruling against intelligent design. He ruled that it is creationism and is not science. He also ruled that members of Dover's school board lied under oath to hide their religious motivations.Jones also received death threats as a result of which he and his family were given around-the-clock federal protection.

P51 4 years, 8 months ago

I was having a conversation with a god the other day. This is a god that I converse with once in a while. I am sure that this god is THE god. I don't know if this god is gay or a lesbian. I couldn't tell. This god could be a black person or maybe no skin color at all. Most of the time this god doesn't talk about any religion. I've asked "what books have you published so I can find out how to treat my fellow humans."No books are on the market" was the reply. "How will I know who to get upset at and who to be kind to?" This god said to just make the call on your own. "Most humans are raised to be good people"." "Usually when this stuff is written down people get confused." Then this god added "It isn't complicated." "Use your head-Think!" With this god you are not subjected to the wrath of a celestial dictator. So, join the alternate reality. We are not ordering people to fly airplanes into buildings and kill thousands of people. We don't lecture people about personal choices. We don't order them to a house of worship once a week to kowtow to jesus and remind themselves that they are morally superior. Remember! Lean into the thorn.

GreyStone 4 years, 8 months ago

P51,

With a God like that, How do we know who to hate or go to war with ? Then we might all get an inferiority thing because we won’t be able to preach to anyone.