Jarrod Poley, a Moffat County Sheriff’s Office deputy, smiles after being given an enormous cupcake Wednesday for his heroism in saving a choking baby a day earlier at the Moffat County Courthouse. The cupcake was a gift from courthouse co-workers.

Photo by Shawn McHugh

Sheriff’s Office deputy saves baby

— When Moffat County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Jarrod Poley rounded the corner into the Moffat County Assessor’s Office, his worst fears were confirmed.

The court security guard had been called away from his post on the third floor of the Moffat County Courthouse because a baby was choking on a piece of candy.

When he arrived on the scene, the boy already was a bluish purple, and the mother was in hysterics.

“It’s kind of just like they say it is,” Poley said. “There’s no brain thought. You just start acting on impulse. I look at this kid, and he’s blue in the face. I thought, ‘He’s gone.’ I thought he was dying.”

But Poley’s CPR and first responder training kicked in, and he turned the child on his stomach and patted him in the middle of the back.

He then stuck his finger down the baby’s throat, enacting the gag reflex and forcing the infant to swallow the candy.

The boy coughed and sputtered, then began to scream at the top of his lungs.

That’s when Poley knew he had just saved the boy’s life.

Poley, who has been with the Sheriff’s Office off and on since March 2007, said the incident was just a part of his duties as a courthouse security guard.

“It’s just part of the job,” he said. “There’s not anyone else here, and if I hadn’t been here, I don’t think he would have made it.”

Poley said he was a first responder with the National Park Service in his home state of Arkansas.

When he moved to Craig two years ago, he received CPR training and annual refresher courses.

Lieutenant Dean Herndon, Poley’s commanding officer, said first aid training is similar to carrying a gun: you want to have the training but hope you never have to use it.

“I think he did a great job,” Herndon said. “It brings a better light to court security and how there are other things involved. It’s not always just security.”

The Sheriff’s Office has provided a security guard at the courthouse for a little more than a year, Herndon said.

In that time, there have been 44 arrests and two medical incidents.

Herndon said he was proud of the way Poley handled the most recent situation.

“I think in law enforcement, most of us just believe it is our responsibility,” he said. “That panic, it’s just not there, and it’s not supposed to be there.”

Poley said the panic didn’t set in until after the baby had swallowed the candy and was taken to The Memorial Hospital, where he stayed for two hours.

“I realized what had just happened and how it very easily could have gone down the wrong road,” he said.

On Wednesday morning, the women who work in the Court Clerk’s Office near Poley’s post presented him with an enormous homemade cupcake and a card thanking him for his service.

They all agreed he was a hero for saving a life, even though Poley dismissed his actions as simply being part of his normal duties.

But to the court clerks, the poem on the front of the card said it all.

“It’s a comfort to know there are heroes among us, regular people just like you who are willing to do what it takes to make the world a better place,” it read.

Comments

daybyday 4 years, 6 months ago

Everyone should take CPR/First Aide - easy, inexpensive...priceless. Way to go, Deputy Poley!

greeneyedgirl73 4 years, 6 months ago

It's so good to hear the positives about our local LEO's ... they tend to not get the appreciation they well deserve.

Great job Deputy Poley!!!!!

als362 4 years, 6 months ago

To aPerspective: You need to go see a shrink, attitudes like yours do nothing for anyone. Here is a man that has done a wonderful thing, and all you can do is predict how bad you think he will perform in the future. You are a very low form of human life, and not necessary on the earth. Actions like yours tear down everyone.

To the Sheriff's Dept and the county as a whole: This man should at the least get a letter of commendation put in his file for this.

aPerspective 4 years, 6 months ago

The truth is a sad but heavy burden huh ALS....you blast me but none of the "officers" who have landed so many in-justices?

aPerspective 4 years, 6 months ago

You want respect EARN It.........I assure you i am not waste of life........I am the breath of air that keeps the Bull-Crap in check........

My actions are from a dose best known as Reality.....

and the Reality..........

THE WHOLE LAW ENFORCEMENT COMMUNITY IN CRAIG AND MOFFAT COUNTY IS CROOKED, CORRUPT ...AN IN-JUSTICE DEPARTMENT!

I pay my taxes, sooo as long as i am forking it out.... You Will Get my extra 2cents, Like it or not!

als362 4 years, 6 months ago

I have no problem with anyone stating thier opinion. What I have a problem with is when someone accuses another person of being on the take, when there is no evidence of that person taking anything.
If I were this officer I would drag your ignorant stupid butt into court and sue you for libel. It is not correct behavior to accuse an entire group, for the actions of a few.
Paying taxes does not forgive falsely accusing anyone of anything. You do not have 2 cents when you do that you have no sense! You are so out of touch with reallity it is difficult to explain how far that is.

twin2175 4 years, 6 months ago

Most of us in this community pay taxes, and your 2-cents is always worth putting in. However, why do you have to make such negative comments about good things that happen in the city? This officer saved a life, and maybe one day will have to save your life. If you have a problem with the law enforcement, bring yourself down there and make an appointment to speak with the Sheriff Tim Jantz or the Chief Walt Vanatta. The personal attack you have on people in the city is crazy. We all have our own opinions; however, most of us will express our criticism constructively, and don’t create a public bashing session regarding the people that are here to protect and serve us.

justthefacts 4 years, 6 months ago

Fact: Deputy Poley Did an AWESOME JOB!

Fact: The community is very proud of Deputy Poley!!!!

Fact: After years of resisting security in the courts, the County Commissioners did the right thing by adding security. ( Way to go Commissioners.)

Fact: Conflict and violence have been prevented due to Court Security. Now lives have been saved!!!

Fact: Court personnel feel much safer.

JUST THE FACTS

westslopeguy 4 years, 6 months ago

After my last diatribe, I promised myself that I wouldn't add my 2cents. Be it not worth wasting the electrons, or further pissing off a group that really isn't worth my time to piss off is neither here nor there.

BUT please aPerspective, while there are no trademarks ''my 2cents" has become kind of a familiarity associated with me and my 2cents. Please don't trash my "good" (I realize, a subjective term), name by using it.

But, als: Your bigotry and biases and blasting everyone that disagrees with what you happen to think, (that's a stretch I realize, (you thinking, I mean), but I'm being polite here... don't want to go off on one of my rants again), is what really possesses me to respond. I mean, really is name-calling and potty-mouth rants what these pages are intended for?

And, while I'm at it... twin2175: Are you crazy? Go TELL Sheriff Jantz or Chief Vanetta you disagree with the way they run their respective departments? One wouldn't be able to make a turn in town without citation for not signaling soon enough or signaling too soon without intention to turn. NO WAY would I bring attention to LE that I have issues with the way they Enforce Law. That's asking for jail time. I've been there, it's not fun.

Sorry, I just couldn't NOT add my 2cents, Paul

PS: Deputy Poley: I'm not one to offer positive commentary to "our" LE personnel often, but KUDOS to ya' and thanks for being the person you are! (and best of luck to your 'career' in MOCO)

als362 4 years, 6 months ago

westslopeguy should explain how when you try to tell someone not to make libelous statements without proof is bigotry. Someone used his "2 cents" idea, now he is upset with the world and takes it out on everyone. What a baby! You should not visit this site if these little things get you that upset. Do everybody a favor and sell your computer, or disconnect your internet.

blueyes 4 years, 6 months ago

Great job to officer Poley Moreover, shame on all of you naysayers! This man saved something more precious than all your petty problems with law enforcement. What if some nobody was there, did the same thing, and saved this child’s life? Would you still take this moment to bash that person as well? I cannot believe it you people need to get a life and learn CPR. Think if this were you child or grandchild. Would you care if it were an officer of the law? That took the proper steps and saved a life? Between you and me, I would not care. No mater what we all should be thankful that people like officer Jarrod Poley was in the court house that day. He stepped up and did the right thing. If you do not, like law enforcement to bad. Life is more precious than anything else we have. Therefore, do the right thing and try to change your attitude, protect life, and give up your negative ways. If you cant then keep it to yourself. I care and know CPR and First Aid. Cncc has classes and instructors. There is ways to make a difference so just do it