Craig Police Department officers help control traffic Tuesday on U.S. Highway 40 as Colorado State Patrol troopers investigate the scene of a semi-trailer accident that killed 34-year-old Justin Dean Bliss, of Craig, near the western city limits of Craig.

Photo by Brian Smith

Craig man dies in early morning highway incident

State patrol identifies victim as Justin Dean Bliss

A 34-year-old Craig resident died Tuesday morning after being hit by a semitrailer on U.S. Highway 40 in Craig, the Colorado State Patrol reported.

Troopers reported that Justin Dean Bliss was walking east at about 5:15 a.m. on the highway’s northern shoulder near mile marker 89, when part of a semitrailer heading west struck him.

The vehicle, driven by Craig resident Nicholas Anthony Peroulis, was carrying a wide-load and had an escort vehicle following it, the state patrol reported. It was traveling from Craig to Utah.

Part of the load apparently hung over the road’s shoulder and struck Bliss, trooper Rick Kaspar said.

Bliss was taken to The Memorial Hospital in Craig. He was pronounced dead at 5:37 a.m., according to the state patrol.

The state patrol is leading the investigation.

Kaspar reported Tuesday afternoon he’s uncertain where Bliss was walking to in the early morning hours.

Peroulis was the only person inside the semitrailer at the time of the accident. He was not injured.

The state patrol reported that Peroulis has been issued a summons for careless driving causing death, a misdemeanor.

“We don’t believe it was reckless in nature,” Kaspar said. “Our investigation hasn’t shown that he was speeding, or that drugs or alcohol were involved or anything other than it was a careless act that caused the death of Mr. Bliss.”

Weather also is not suspected to be a factor, as the roads were clear and visibility was not an issue, Kaspar said.

“It was cold, obviously,” he said. “It wasn’t icy and there were no road conditions that would have contributed to this.”

The incident limited traffic in the area to one shared lane for both directions of the highway.

Traffic returned to normal around 11:15 a.m., Kaspar said.

Toxicology reports for Bliss were unavailable and the state patrol’s investigation is ongoing.

The Craig Police Department, Craig Fire/Rescue, Craig Public Works and hospital EMS also responded to the scene Tuesday morning.

Comments

needstoknow 3 years, 3 months ago

Question?? If the truck was being piloted, why didn't the pilot driver warn the truck driver of the person on the side of the road????

SmokeyWoods 3 years, 3 months ago

This pains me. Not only was he a very close friend, but why would the escort car be behind the semi for one and the semi should of been able to see him and move over to avoid hitting him. This is very wrong in so many ways and both the driver and escort should be charged heavily for this. Goes to show that only in Craig/Steamboat area do people get away with murder.

ColoGeezer 3 years, 3 months ago

You got to be kidding me, Smokey. When did this turn into murder and not a tragic accident? I know Justin too and this is a tragedy but this is not murder......

native_craig_guy 3 years, 3 months ago

Unfortunately, the victim was engaged in a risky behavior that I have seen him do many times. The CIty of Craig built the walking path to prevent accidents exactly like this. It is too bad that this happened, but like all accidents, various preventable factors combined to form an undesirable outcome. There were most likely errors made by both parties that contributed to this tragic event. My condolences go out to the friends and family of Mr. Bliss.

BTW- Smokey appears to be in one of the first stages in dealing with death, Anger. Hopefully he will soon move on, it will be better for his sake. The grieving process just takes time.

Missy 3 years, 3 months ago

I did not know Justin personally, I did not even know his name until today, but he touched my soul in a way I am incapable of explaining. I saw him walking to and from town almost every single day. I saw him at WalMart, I saw him in town, I saw him everywhere....his presence touched me....and I failed to stop what I was doing and meet him. If there is a lesson in this, it is that we should not hesitate to reach out, meet the people we come across on a daily basis, and show them that we care that they are there. I had several chances to do so, and I wasted each and every chance to meet Justin. This young man's death saddens me beyond words. Justin, I did not know you, but you will be missed!

annie84 3 years, 3 months ago

native craig guy, thank you for your condolences. However I would like you to show me the walking path along the highway where Justin should have been walking

annie84, it's not actually along the highway, but there is a walking path from Ridgeview over the hill near the hospital and it comes out on the road just north of Loaf N Jug. This certainly a very sad thing to happen to anyone, but since none of us were right there when it happened, we'll never know just what went wrong. I too wonder why the pilot car didn't let the truck driver know someone was on the side of the road? But I've seen this young man walking myself and wonder if his clothing was dark and at that time of the morning just not clearly seen. There could be other reasons, but all that matters is that Mr. Bliss is gone and blaming others can't bring him back.

als362 3 years, 3 months ago

I am not certain about which path is being discussed, but I believe there is a frontage road that runs paralel to US 40 in this area. It runs all the way to Columbine apartments. Perhaps he should have been walking there at 5:15 AM in the dark instead of on a busy US highway. The only walking path that comes to mind is the one that goes from near Safeway to Ridgeview subdivision. It is probably not plowed, and goes over some hills. That is likely why this path was not used. There is also a frontage road that runs from Safeway to Murdoch's, I would really appreciate it more people would use it instead of walking or riding bikes on Victory Way/US 40. I think the chance of something like this happening in town is a real possibility when people walk on the main roads in town. It would also help if people would clear their sidewalks of snow so there was a place to walk off the road.

Tim Kjera 3 years, 3 months ago

The walking path referred to starts at the back of Murdochs, goes along the new hospital road and ends at the Ridgeview subdivision. It is a mess. Part of it was torn up when the new hospital was built and it has never been repaired, so when it is wet, you walk in mud. There is so much pea gravel on other sections, you can not ride a bike on it. Signs that designate the trail and ban motorized vehicles have been torn down. I've called the city several times about improvements and always get the same answer, "we're working on it." The path was a great idea, but it needs to be kept up, improved, and designated with signs, so people know it is there. I took a pair of skis down it the other day. There is no way you can walk there this time of year.

The question about this accident that I have is, aren't wide loads required to be off the road after dark? This accident occurred in darkness, 5:15 am.

My condolences to Mr. Bliss and his family. It shouldn't take the death of someone, to illustrate how dangerous this stretch of road is.

Slow down, put the cell phones away, and keep your eyes open. You are not the only person on the roadway.

Ray Cartwright 3 years, 3 months ago

I do believe that wide loads are required to be off the road at dark and not allowed on before daylight. I live next to the bypass and see wide loads going out and coming in all the time and it doesn't matter what time it is. Could it be that it is time to start cracking down on the wide load(oil field traffic). This wouldn't have happened if the law had been followed and/or enforced.

time2educate 3 years, 3 months ago

I have spent some time educating myself about the Colorado DOT laws in regardes to moving oversized loads. I emplore any who have questions about this to do the same. I think you might be suprised. My sympathy goes out to all family,friends, and parties involved.

dvoloshin 3 years, 3 months ago

There are no sidewalks or walkways for folks walking to and from town to this area. The trail that was built is not a suitable walkway for pedesrians. I have seen folks in motorized wheelchairs with packages on one knee and children on their laps, on the shoulders of this busy highway. Others push their children in strollers with children in tow. There are many pedestrians using highway 40 daily.

My sympathy to all parties involved.

cogirl 3 years, 3 months ago

I knew Justin and I think this could have been prevented. I also have to walk the highway everyday just to get to work. I didnt even know there was a path that could be taken. I myself and my son have almost been a few times! I didnt even know there was a path out here to walk on. The only choice some of us have out this way is to walk the highway! Something should be done out here for the people that have no choice but to walk or ride bikes! Justin was a good man and a great friend! This could have and should have been prevented! Justin is going to be missed i am just praying that his death wakes this town up and measures are taken for the people that have to walk everyday! Its scary leaving to go to work everyday and praying you make it there and home safely!

Nadja Rider 3 years, 3 months ago

The lack of a walking path along Hwy 40 has been an issue for 30+ years and sadly it's never been addressed properly. Though the path over the hill is lovely, it's only useful during the summer months and not too useful at any time for simply walking to town. It's certainly not a good bike path either. It was meant as a trail around Craig, which never got completed.

My condolences to Justin's family and friends. It indeed was a needless tragedy.

als362 3 years, 3 months ago

You are right, there are no sidewalks in this area. But there is a road that goes from the Columbine apartments to the Ridgeview subdivision and the tractor dealership. I don't know if it goes all the way to the light at US 40. But it does go for a good ways towards town. Then the frontage road continues from Murdoch's to Finley Lane. Using that road would keep people off the highway. There are however many, many sidewalks in town and in the county that never get cleared of snow, forcing people to walk in the streets. Some day this might happen to a kid coming or going to school, or a mother pushing a stroller. Winter is no time for people to be forced to walk in the streets and highways. This accident shows that all too well.

GreyStone 3 years, 3 months ago

How much money did someone save by not building a sidewalk out there ?

The safe pedestrian walkway should have been a consideration before the developer obtained the OK to build multi-family, low rent dwellings there.

People need to forget about the deer and spend more time being upset about things like this.

VERA SCHELHORN 3 years, 3 months ago

I am a relative of Justin Bliss. I would like to ask those who are speculating or making judgements to please not do so at this time. His mother is overcome with grief at losing her son, she recently lost her brother this year as well. Please have a kind word in your heart and wait for all the facts. This is truly a tragic time for the family your support is greatly appreciated.

als362 3 years, 3 months ago

I don't believe that anyone here is making any kind of judgement against anyone. I think the people making comments here are just trying to find a way to hopefully prevent something like this from happening again. I know that is why I wrote here, that was my purpose for doing it. I can understand your families grief and you have my deepest sympathy for your loss. I appologize if I said or did anything to upset you.

Anonymous4u 3 years, 3 months ago

My deepest sympathy to all involved... especially the family and friends of Justin. I live in Ridgeview, and have seen him walking everyday... I will miss seeing him.

After reading all the comments, I think that the most important thing is trying to improve this situation.

None of us truely know what happened... the pilot car should probably have been in front, the over sized load probably should have been traveling in day light, the pedestrian probably should have either been walking in day light or had some kind of reflective wear on him.... ON AND ON. Nothing can be changed now.

There is a frontage road, but it ends at the turn off into Ridgeview and then all there is, is Highway for a bit until you get to the next frontage road at Black Nugget hotel. If you have to walk, your only option is Highway for about 500 Yards. Yes, it would be nice to have this situation improved! There is also a path, but who wants to hike through all that in the middle of WINTER?!

The point is, there are many things that should be changed, need changed ect... It is sad that it takes a death to realize this!

Again, my deepest sympathy! May we at least learn SOMETHING!

VERA SCHELHORN 3 years, 3 months ago

I in part was responding to native_craig_guy who stated that Justin often engaged in risky behavior. I do not think that comment is appropriate in this post. Justin lived life and respected life and in his death was a organ donor giving life to others. He was engaged to be married and it is unfortunate that God called on him at such a young age. There are many questions as to what happened that early morning but the family is hurting at this time and I am asking that any additonal posters to this forum consider the families pain at this tragic loss and to consider the content of what they post. Thank you..

native_craig_guy 3 years, 3 months ago

I drive by Ridgeview on a daily basis and I have seen Mr. Bliss walking on the white line of the shoulder, dressed in dark clothing more often than not. That is risky behavior, period. How do you disagree? I do not think that it was safe behavior. Do not take one line out of my post and use it out of context. It is a tragedy that his risky behavior contributed to his untimely death. My original comment was directed towards those who were placing sole blame on Mr. Peroulis and where calling him a murderer. Imagine how he feels knowing that something he did resulted in the death of an other individual. There were two victims in this case, the deceased, and the individual who has to live with his actions for the rest of his life.

VERA SCHELHORN 3 years, 3 months ago

native_craig_guy in response to your statement please note the following things. The above article does not cite Justin as acting reckless or engaging in risky behavior. This is your opinion period. The fact of the matter is The driver of the vehicle no matter whom that is or was takes responsiblity for operating that vehicle. While the escort car contacted the truck regarding a pedestrian on the high way the driver denies receiving such message. The fact that the truck continued on its way without realizing it had struck a pedestrian until it received a call on the radio telling him he had hit a pedestrian shows that the driver was careless and not paying attention. So, please the truck driver did not lose his life here but our Jason did and if you cant consider the families feelings here then please post your opinions/blame elsewhere it would be greatly appreciated by us who loved Jason.

parnelie 3 years, 3 months ago

i knew justin well he was a good person he will be missed what i want to know is since when is it a crime to walk along the side of the road no matter what time or what he was wearing also it does not matter where he was going i thought this was AMERICA isn't that why our military has fought for our freedom all those wars what do we have a cerfew are we in a communist country also you know if it was any other member of the truck driveing community they would be in jail just because he has money dosn't mean that he should get out of a crime

VERA SCHELHORN 3 years, 3 months ago

Sorry I am so upset I typed Jason instead of Justin.

People, lets not get political here. Let's forget about freedoms and the color of clothing and whether or not the trucker knew he hit someone. I would think he's a decent enough guy that had he known he hit someone, he'd have stopped in a hurry. but be that as it may, Justin is gone. He can't be brought back and his mother is hurting and so are his family and friends. Have a little bit of compassion. Maybe those of you who knew Justin well, could tell the rest of us something about him? I just know that he went to school with one of my kids and I remember his as a redheaded freckle faced kid who was some what quiet. At least that's what I thought. Maybe around his classmates he was more out going?

JusRand 3 years, 3 months ago

Those of you who CLAIM to have a personal connection or relation to Justin are not as close as you claim to be and are claiming to know things you don't know. If you were in the "inner circle" you would know exactly what was going on and would not comment in any way to any one especially the press. You are hurting the on-going investigation for both sides. Respect Justin, the Hensley/Bliss family, the driver and his family. I am shocked that people are stating things and do not know the facts. Let the trained investigators do their jobs. I am confident in the abilities of the lead investigator and the attorney to insure that both sides are given fair judgement.

als362 3 years, 3 months ago

I don't know what this man was wearing when he was hit. But I do know these simple truths. 1: If you walk next to a major US highway in the dark wearing dark clothing close to the edge of the roadway, what happens to you is your fault not a driver that cannot see you. 2: There is a frontage road that runs directly along side of this stretch of highway where he should have been walking. 3: A person of slight build might not be a noticable impact by the driver of a heavily loaded semi tractor/trailer.

parnelie 3 years, 3 months ago

so your saying its justins fault for doing something he did all the time? also if you have ever been around a semi or heavy equ. u would know he could have hit the 1000lb man and unless he ran his tires over it he would not have noticed

parnelie 3 years, 3 months ago

also might i add the man had no car how was he supposed to get around the cab gets expensive

David Moore 3 years, 3 months ago

My sincere condolences to the family of this tragic accident, no matter who is to blame, a fiance, son, and friend has been killed. Usually what is proper in this instance, instead of being speculative and generally false, is to prevent this from happening again so others do not have to go through what the family of this young man are right now. Here is my thought: The frontage road ends at Tri-State equipment right? It ends on the other side of the hill at the entrance to the Black Nugget Motel. We are talking cutting maybe 500' out of the side of the hill and constructing some sort of walking path to keep those who live in the Ridgeview area off of the road. Connect the dots, dedicate it to the memory of Justin and keep this from happening again. I used to have friends that lived in Ridgeview, along with my girlfriend(my wife now)that I would visit often. I had no transportation other than a bicycle and I can attest that it is a dangerous stretch to ride or walk at anytime of the day. By the looks of the photo in the paper, I assume it was taken from atop the hill where the Black Nugget is, and according to where the emergency vehicles are parked, he was walking on the road because there was no alternative route to take. That entrance goes to Ridgeview if turning left and Tri-State equipment if turning right. Where was he supposed to walk? I may be wrong in my locations on this but it looks as if this happened just east of the first entrance to Ridgeview. If so, Justin was not in the wrong for walking this part of the road. This is why there needs to be a path of some sort that can be used by pedestrians, it can't be that hard, or expensive and if some of the people in this town, who pull together for a lot of different issues could donate time and effort, it CAN be done. I'd gladly help. The "path" that has been constructed over the hill is nearly impassible by bike in the summer due to 4" of pea gravel along most of the stretch. I also have not seen any damage due to the construction of the hospital, not sure where that comes from but it is false. The path is not plowed in the winter so you cannot expect people to trudge through 16" of snow. It is relatively out of the way as well and is not complete, a failure of the concept in my opinion. Lets show some respect here and stop being junior cops by speculating on what happened, you don't know, let the real cops sort it out. I did not know this person but I have experienced enough tragedy and anguish to sympathize with those grieving for their losses, and I do sympathize with this family. I can also sympathize with the driver as I have seen lives completely destroyed by having to live with the outcome of ones action for the rest of their life. Not something ANY of you would want to go through. Respect...it's not that tough a concept.

parnelie 3 years, 3 months ago

i agree with davidmoore lets get a path built so this strech of road less dangerous i would gladly help just so this tragdey does not happen again justin is not the only person who walks that road insted of laying blame lets try and find a solution for those who have to walk it we have all gotten off track myself included about this lets stop placeing blame and start thinking about whats important the familys and friends that have been hurt by this

me21 3 years, 3 months ago

Comment: Sidewalks in the legal sense (see definition above) exist on most streets in settled areas, but are not necessarily paved. Encroaching vegetation, cracks and upheaval caused by tree roots, illegally parked vehicles and other circumstances can make even paved sidewalks impractical to use at points and inaccessible for those with mobility impairments. Where sidewalk areas have been left unpaved, natural vegetation or landscaping, wet or muddy conditions, nearby ditches, and hazards hidden in grass or under plant litter (wasp nests, sharp objects, tripping hazards, etc.) can similarly make pedestrian use impractical.

(b) Where no such sidewalk is provided on such a street, pedestrians shall walk along a road shoulder, if present, as far as practicable from the edge of the roadway.

7-5-20 Pedestrian to Walk Facing Traffic.

A pedestrian walking along and upon a roadway shall walk as near as practicable to an outside edge of the roadway and, if on a two-way street, shall walk only on the left side facing approaching traffic.

xrsareus 3 years, 3 months ago

Dave, This is a great idea and it can and should be done. Why is it tragedies like this are what it take to get change. A lady that was killed last year in Steamboat a Farrow's Equipment after being hit by a truck. Now the speed limit has changed, a hill was taken down and I hear turn lanes are planned at the golf course so something like that would not happen again. After the lady was hit in Denver and lost her baby, right away they changed that intersection. You hear stories like this all the time. All of a sudden the money is there. A walking path dedicated in Justin's memory would be good. So sad, this incident will change a lot of peoples lives.

als362 3 years, 3 months ago

I admire all of you for wanting to build a walking path to help end this problem. I do have a question or two though.
Who will clear the snow from the path?
If the existing bike/walking paths are not kept clear, why should anyone think this one will be kept open? Will it be wide enough for a regular snow plow, or will it require a special piece of equipment? Is that city, county, state or federal right of way? I don't disagree with the need for this, I am just curious about these issues that I know will come up before or during construction. I asked the county commissioners a long time ago about a path from Shadow Mtn. to Murdoch's. The commissioners agreed that this was needed before someone or some child got hit. So far I have seen no start to a path here. Alot of these ideas sound really good on this web site, but tend to get bogged down in real life. Just getting the use of the land can be a monumental process. I hope you are successful in your endeavor. I praise all of you for trying.

xrsareus 3 years, 3 months ago

I would say it is CDOT. They could widen 40 from Black Nugget to the first turnoff to Ridgeview. Make a extra wide shoulder, plow it as if it is another lane. The road to Lowdy Simpson is a State Highway and the shoulder was widend for bike and foot traffic to there. They even put in the foot bridge over the river and sweep it in the summer. In the summer there is a lot of traffic to Lowdy. Hey it would be better than what there is now. Everyone, write your politicians and the highway comminsioner for our area or call Les Anderson at the Craig CDOT office he would know where to start.

David Moore 3 years, 3 months ago

Well, lets try to apply some common sense to the questions that have arisen. I am going to have to go out there tomorrow and survey the situation to see if anything can be done at all. I'm making suggestions off the top of my head and I want to be right about what I am presenting. -me21, I don't think it would necessarily need to be paved, nice, but not crucial. Some surface besides a pit of pea gravel would be best. Again, this town comes together to combat just about any need a person in despair presents. This is a need, it should be a donated effort and made a memorial to Justin that would cement the continued compassion of this community. Having anything there to keep people off of the highway is better than nothing.

-xrsareus, I know all about the terrible accident involving Mrs. Farrow, it was not an easy situation to deal with by some of the strongest people I know. It is now safer in that zone and is going to get even more safe with the possible addition of a turn lane. That area has always been a problem and it looks like a resolution is imminent. This is the type of thinking that Craig needs to have. Great post.

Als362, -I imagine the foot traffic would be enough to create a pathway that would not need plowed. I can say with rather certainty that the existing path next to TMH is not used due to it being so far out of the way, therefore it is not plowed. It's the "shortest route between two points" thing, people are just not going to go that far out of their way to use a substandard, unplowed path. They might use one next to the road though and if enough people walk on it, a route will be created. I imagine a small ATV with a blade, or a Bobcat, perhaps donated from Tri-State would suffice, I can't imagine there would be copious amounts of time spent on clearing the way, would take maybe 30 minutes to maintain 500' of a 5' wide path. -I am assuming it is a federal right of way since it borders a U.S. highway. That is where the knot would occur in getting something like this done. The possibility of it being owned by the motel is there as well. -I totally agree on the path from Shadow Mnt. to Murdochs, there is literally NO shoulder and I have come close to hitting someone myself. At night is even worse along that stretch. The Shadow Mnt. deal would be county in my opinion as it is along a county road. I have never understood "land greed" and why people won't give up a strip or chunk of their property for the good of all, if it were mine, I would. I understand there are some issues but they seem minor compared to potential death. Craig needs to spiff up it's path system and the folks who posses the necessary land to do it need to give it up, but, in these times there are more important things to consider than the lives of citizens. Good thinking Als362, I'm touched.

nhensley 3 years, 3 months ago

Thank you for all the kind words for my nephew Justin, This has been a tragedy for our family and for the driver of the truck. The best thing that can come out of this would be the people of Craig to create a walkway/bicycle path for their residents to use. Perhaps a good name for this would be 'The Trail of Bliss'. Please remember the good things you knew of Justin and keep all of the parties involved in your prayers. Thank you.

David Moore 3 years, 3 months ago

xrsareus, Excellent thinking, however I think it would be prudent to connect the widened portion with the east and west ends of the frontage roads, thereby minimizing the time spent close to traffic. I'm going to go look tomorrow, I think that hillside might be too steep to support a trail or path and it is nothing but soft dirt, reinforcement would definitely be needed. To bad there is no way to just make a path up the hill to the south end of the motel parking lot and back down the Signal hill side. I think it might be to steep for that. The widening idea seems the most logical as long as it utilizes the existing ends of the frontage roads. Isn't this discussion better than judging and blaming people who have had their lives changed forever?

als362 3 years, 3 months ago

Any type of path that is made for walking or biking will not be used in the winter if not plowed. No mother with a stroller or carriage is going to muck through snow to push it.
Areas that get foot traffic without being plowed tend to become rutted paths of ice and are difficult to walk on at best. Then these unplowed paths will not be used and people will be walking on the highways and streets again. Any answer to this issue will require tax dollars be spent to build and maintain it year round. Otherwise it will not be used and things will be just as they are now.

I wonder if the cheapest route to take would be to extend one of the streets in Ridgeview to intersect with the hospital loop road. Then it would be wide enough to use a full size snow plow and people would be able to walk to Murdoch's, cut through their parking lot to get to the frontage road that would take them all the way to Centennial Mall. This would undoubtably cost a lot more than a path but might provide a permanent fix to the problem. A person would be able to walk from Columbine apartments to the mall without being on a busy street or highway. There would be street lights for some of the way in Ridgeview, and down the hill from the hospital and along the frontage road to the mall. If that street route were provided then there would be no reason for people to be walking on US 40 to the west of town. Then foot traffic on US 40 could be made unlawful and that would make people use the new street route. Just an idea, probably won't go anywhere, it would cost a lot of money to install that much street with curbs, sewers, sidewalks and street lights. But I do believe that would fix the problem. What does everyone else think?

David Moore 3 years, 3 months ago

I think you are on the right path (so to speak) with your idea, but again, it's the shortest path between two points that will drive people to stick to the highway. The route you propose would add distance and time to ones travel as well as having to walk uphill, most people probably would not walk that way. Making pedestrian traffic unlawful along the highway is probably not going to happen either, you would have to change the laws to reflect ALL highway use by pedestrians. And lastly, I have yet seen any mother trying to push a stroller through the snow at any time. Have you? Just curious, not being snide. Your idea is not a bad one and it would not take much to connect the loop with Ridgeview, I just don't see people going that far out of their way to get from point A to point B in the shortest time that they allow. I'm guessing here, but I'd bet if two people left Columbine at the same time, one on the Highway and one going your route, the highway traveler would arrive at Murdoch's 10-15 minutes before the other. That is a lot of time to some people in this era of rush, rush, rush. The logical, sensible idea, as xrsareus posted previously, would be to widen the area of the hillside that brings people closest to the highway and connect it to the frontage road in front of Tri-State equipment to keep them off the stretch before the turnoff, which is where this accident occurred. Keep thinking of ideas, it's much more productive than what was happening on this thread beforehand.

Tim Kjera 3 years, 3 months ago

Thank you for calling me a liar DavidMoore. As someone who has walked/biked/skied the Ridgeview trail 3 to 4 times a week since it was built, I take offense to calling my report "false". When the snow melts this spring, take a walk out by your loading area and look at the trail. You don't know it all, you just think you do.

als362 3 years, 3 months ago

Any path or walkway that is not plowed and maintained year round will not be used either. The idea is get people away from the busy roadways and make them walk on the sidewalks and/or less busy roads.
The reason you have never seen someone pushing a stroller through the snow is because they won't do it. Which is exactly what I said, and why people would be walking on the highway again if any proposed path is not maintained year round. You are exactly correct in your assessment of the time it takes to travel both routes. But I bet if Justin had a second chance he would choose the long way. Expecting a business to keep an area clear of snow will be hit and miss at best, not happen at all normally because they have their business to look after.

David Moore 3 years, 3 months ago

cforevereyez, Pipe down, I never called you a liar and I don't claim to know it all but your "report" is false. I have ridden and walked the very trail you say is "torn up" and I just don't see it that way. I use it to bike to work in the summertime, I may not be on it 3-4 times a week but have been on it plenty to know it is ride-able, walkable and ski-able. Torn up means it is destroyed beyond use, which it is not. There may have been some work done to provide utility access to the hospital but it has been filled in. How much more torn up can a marginal at best dirt trail get? As far as knowing it all, never claimed to but thought some common sense might do better than the insensitive banter that was going on here before. I also know what I see, and I don't see it like you do, sorry, excuse me for providing my point of view.

Als362, I went out and looked at the site today and thought out how a path might work. However, I think I have said enough on this subject and I am going to move along. It was only a thought, an idea, and it will probably remain that way.

wellwell 3 years, 3 months ago

Though I was unable to go to the area, I did go to Google Maps using the satillite mode. I was able to see the bike path, noting that it is not a very direct route. I would enjoy biking it, but as a route to walk to work or get groceries I'd have to opt for a more direct route.

I also noted on the satellite view, a dirt walking path that lead from the apartments, across undeveloped land, directly to a point at the entrance to Tri State Equipment. The path then goes across the ditch to the Hwy 40.

I was also able to place "yellow man" on the highway by the dirt bluff north of the highway for a very good view of the bluff and a 360 dregree view of the spot. Give it a try.

busymommy25 3 years, 3 months ago

My deepest condolences to Justin's family and friends. I did not know him that well, but there was many times that he helped me. Justin was a giving person and a blessing to know. He would help me carry my children home from town or if he seen us walking he would walk with us to keep traffic from hitting us. Justin was a kind and loving man and I know I will miss him greatly.

VERA SCHELHORN 3 years, 3 months ago

HI cousin nhensley, love idea of naming the trail The Trail of Bliss. That would be wonderful if your suggestion is acted upon. Whoever, did the obituary for Justin Bliss in the Montrose Press did a very good job. It was very nice. My heart goes out to all of you it ...what a very bad ending to 2010.

nightwatch 3 years, 3 months ago

I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE HAVE TO KEEP ON BICKERING ON WHY THEY SEEM TO HAVE THE ANSWER TO THIS TRAGEDY,,JUSTIN WAS THE TYPE OF PERSON YOU WOULD HOPE TO MEET EVERY TIME YOU MET A PERSON,CARING,ALWAYS HELPING,SO RELIEVING TO TALK TO,AND MORE THAN YOU COULD EXPLAIN,,IF YOU DO NOT HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY,KEEP IT TO YOURSELF UNTIL YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH A TRAGEDY LIKE THIS OR WORSE,THE BEST GOES OUT TO THE FAMILY AND CLOSE FRIENDS,,

als362 3 years, 3 months ago

I don't believe that anyone is bickering about this. I believe there are some people that feel they have a solution to this issue so perhaps it will never happen again.
I think that is the purpose of nearly all the posts here. I know that was the purpose for mine.
Sorry if we somehow hurt you feelings, that was not our intention, at least I know it was not mine