Betty Lackey: Not a courageous act

I cannot believe you are praising this man for shooting a black bear in its den.

As far as I’m concerned, there is nothing brave or courageous in this act. And the bear was probably more scared than the hunter. I hope the laws are changed to prevent this from happening again.

Betty Lackey

High Point, N.C.

Comments

als362 4 years ago

To Betty Lackey: Go back to North Carolina, we don't need people like you in this area.

als362 4 years ago

Sounds to me like we have 2 people here that need to move back east.

David Moore 4 years ago

I don't see why anyone would want to come to this town in the first place after reading some of the rude and insensitive comments thrown at those with an opinion. You might want to come down off your high horse(s) and read the article in todays edition with commentary from the DOW, they are questioning the act themselves. A quote if I may:

"Hampton said there are several other states with regulations against shooting bears in dens or caves. “People support hunting because it is, for the most part … based on sound principals of wildlife management and is based in the ethic of fair chase,” he said. Fair chase, Hampton said, is one of the founding principals of modern hunting. “There are many things with ethics of hunting that are not regulated,” he said. “For example, duck hunters will tell you that you don’t shoot ducks on a pond — you wait until they are in flight. You don’t shoot turkeys out of a roost and you don’t shoot bears in their dens.”

What was done may be legal but ehtically (and you don't have to be a "tree hugger" to understand ehtics and morals) is where the line has been drawn. I respect, and agree, with most of what you say als362, but you and some other posters, with your rude and insensitive commentary, are making our town out to appear to be full of ruthless hicks with no regards to nature or other people who have an opinion . Hunting is one thing and after living in a hunting community for 42 years, I support it 100%...ruthless killing without the hunting concept in mind I do not support at all, legal or not. This story is now nationwide, we are in the spotlight because of it and that is why people from all over the country are responding. Stop making ALL of us look foolish with your rudeness, you don't represent me nor do you represent others who disagree with this issue. Not every single person in this town is a hunter or a killer, please cease from making us look that way to the rest of the country tuning in to this issue. Thank You.

colorado_22 4 years ago

DavidMoore, Thank you for your honest words. I completely agree with you, and think that the obnoxious comments made towards concerned and opinionated people of other states just makes us look foolish.

rhammel 4 years ago

als, have you ever stood in front of a mirror and spouted off some of your garbage?

Shooting a bear in it's den, lacks MORAL ETHICS. And just for a trophy. I support hunting for food, but this kind of wanton slaughter goes beyond sport.

als362 4 years ago

Again I must say there are certainly a lot of people that have a bad case of sour grapes because they did not have a chance at this bear.

als362 4 years ago

To 3canines: The only people that have the traits that you described above, are those that think something wrong was done during this hunt.

David Moore 4 years ago

Als362, I'm not an authority on hunting, but I have been around long enough to know right from wrong, like don't look down the barrel, don't bang them bullet thingy's with a rock, and (from the CDP article): "you don’t shoot ducks on a pond — you wait until they are in flight. You don’t shoot turkeys out of a roost and you don’t shoot bears in their dens.” I was taught that when I was 8. I don't have any "sour grapes" about hunting or killing animals when done with some thought, fair chase and the possibility of escape...kinda like....hunting. For the record, I don't like wine either, which technically is a case of sour grapes, which makes you wrong twice in the same sentence. In addition to that, I could care less about having my "chance" at the kill...I never would have taken that chance in the first place. I don't need a big game head on my wall, my trophies go home everyday to their families, doing better than when they came in. I'm beginning to think Taxslave (I can't believe I am going to say this) might be right about the chemtrails...you know, the ripply clouds (caused by wind) that hang over the plant? Somethings gelling up your gray matter and reacting with your grump center, or it's just your nature. Based on your lack of empathy about any subject, person or thing, I have come to the conclusion that you Als362 are the one with sour grapes my friend, bushels of them. Because I, or anyone else doesn't agree with you does not make us tree-huggers, thick headed, ignorant or sour for not going out and killing something and getting a charge out of it...or being jealous of someone who does. Had all this gone differently, in a dozen other ways, there would have been nothing said at all and we'd still be talking about killer deer, the weather or the upcoming Dateline NBC show on TV. Speaking of TV, I must say your Archie Bunkeresque comments do provide for some laughter when needed most, so at least for that, Merry Christmas Als362, and a happy, or happier, New Year.

als362 4 years ago

It never ceases to amaze me how many people that by their own admission have no idea what they are talking about. Then want to tell others how things should be done. Reminds me for all the world of Washington DC.

Jon Pfeifer 4 years ago

Some of the comments above are simply anti-hunting. Hunting (legally) is the regulated killing of animals. When the DOW issues a tag, they have determined that the population of that animal needs to be controlled through hunting. I agree that many of these are majestic animals, but this is exactly why hunting generates a respect for the animal you are pursuing. Hunting prevents over-population of animals who have no predators or whose predators have seen their populations decrease due (primarily) to loss of habitat. It also spares these animals from a much less humane way of dying, such as by disease or starvation.

I think DavidMoore is discussing the real issue in this debate... whether hunting is a "fair chase" and where the line should be drawn. However, I don't agree with his conclusions. First of all, I don't see hunting as "fair" at all. I have a gun (or some other weapon) so the animal has a 99.9% greater chance than me of getting killed. The greatest danger to myself is probably me or someone hunting with me, or maybe the weather. With a rifle, I can shoot a deer or an elk from 400 yards away. They typically never see me. Hunting mountain lions in Colorado involves the use of as many as 10 dogs to chase the animal up a tree, where it is shot. Fishing involves the use of just about anything that will entice a fish to bite being placed on a hook in the water. It is not fair. GreyStone's post on the other article is dead on.

That's not to say that I don't think it is a good idea to preserve hunting as a sport. However, I feel that tracking an animal without bait, not being able to use a vehicle to trek after the animal, and having to find the animal in their natural environment does enough to preserve hunting as a sport. I think reasonable people can disagree on this, so there is no need to disparage others for their opinions.

Finally, if the animal was in "hibernation" (which we don't know), and if people decide that that makes in not "fair" (although again, I don't see hunting as fair anyways) the DOW should not have issued a tag that late in the year. The hunter is not at fault here. Frankly, from what I gathered in the article he has been looking for opportunities to get a bear for many years... what is left out of the article are his (presumably) many days of trekking through wilderness in pursuit of a bear without success. That lifelong chase does enough in my mind to preserve hunting as a sport.