Lorna Tunks: Bullying is disrespectful

It was recently called to my attention, again, that my 15-year-old Autistic daughter is being bullied at school.

It used to be name-calling, taunting, making fun of her, having her lick the frozen school wall, etc., but now it’s a blatant, “I don’t like you,” bringing her dog food to eat, or having the “retard” ask the popular high school boys out.

I thank God for my daughter. She has the ability to be polite. She says thank you, no thank you and please. She has never bullied anyone. There is a plus for Autism.

And, for the disrespectful, inconsiderate, so-called normal children who bully: if you were mine, you would have picked yourself off the ground.

It’s called the old school, where we learn at home that we don’t ever treat anyone that way.

So, you tell me, what’s normal?

Lorna Tunks

Comments

Becky Plummer 3 years, 4 months ago

Where are the teachers and other faculty at when all of this is happening and why is it allowed to continue? Yes kids can be cruel but when you are in high school you fail to be able to use that as an excuse especially when it involves a handicaped child. Shame on you one and all and shame on your parents for not raising you better than that.

jalana 3 years, 4 months ago

I agree where are the teachers? How heartbreaking for your daughter.Its easy to see what kind of people the "bullies" will turn out to be. It is sick that parents do not take the time to teach their children how to treat one another.I suppose they learn it all at home. This kind of treatment goes beyond bullying and verges on assault/abuse.I would contact the police.Surely it can not be legal?

I am sorry your daughter was treated this way I will keep her in my prayers.God bless your family this holiday season.

How sad for your daughter and how heart breaking for you to know that this is going on and nothing is being done about it.

GreyStone 3 years, 4 months ago

Teachers may not be getting involved because they fear the bullies attention. Most of these teachers may have been the target of these same bullies and the teachers wish to be , “Just one of the guys“.

als362 3 years, 4 months ago

I do not think it is the responsibility of the teachers to raise anyones child.
That is the responsibility of the parents.
The teachers are there to teach school subjects, that in itself is a full time job.
Between developing lesson plans, grading assignments, attending necessary meetings and helping with extra curricular activities, plus their own families is about all the time a teacher has.

wellwell 3 years, 4 months ago

als362 and all,

Having taught elsewhere, we had teachers assigned hall duty along with students also assigned. I also know that at MCHS student groups are active in watching for this behaviour and reporting it properly.

As the parent of the student assualted you should report it to the school immediately with as full and accurate information as possible. You also did a good thing by reporting it to the paper. The community needs to be aware and talk with their student/children to advise them. Here again we parents are responsible for our children and their education as much and More than the teachers.

Als362, I agree the teachers are much more busy than the public realize. The good teachers are keeping on the cusp of their education methods, their subject matter, parents needs, student needs, meetings, upgrading their education....OH yes and they are expected to Teach!!

Indeed student groups against a teacher can interrupt the process of teaching and teachers need to stepup to quell the matter as promptly as should the parents.

The students are the ones that carry the the responsiblity of the act and should be reprimanded and remediated in counseling through education of autisum with a report written of their findings about autism. If further working with special ed workers could be added it would grow understanding. This situation calls for more education to the offending student and possibly parents, but the responsibility is on the Student to Grow Up.

Bringing the matter public should increase the needed attention and action for this assault.

T066J 3 years, 4 months ago

Many of you ask "Where are the teachers?". You are most probably asking "Where are the school teachers?". In this case, the "teachers" are not the "school teachers" - they are the parents of the children who are committing the bullying. Yes, I wholeheartedly agree - - where are the teachers?!?!

als362 3 years, 4 months ago

Thank You T066J, you are exactly correct. Parents are the people responsible for raising children and teaching them proper manners and actions, not school teachers!

Becky Plummer 3 years, 4 months ago

So the teachers should not be aware of what is going on around them and be capable of handling the situation? I thought you put the care of your children in the hands of the school teachers when you send them to school? I do not mean to imply that school teachers should raise my children while they are at school, but by God I do mean the school teachers should protect them...... If they are afraid of those that bully step up and do something about getting them out of the school and into somewhere that can teach them the way that young adults should act towards others less fortunate. If parents dont and school teachers wont who is failing these kids all the way around?? I tell you we all are!!

als362 3 years, 4 months ago

If the teachers have any reason to be afraid of the kids at school then it is those kids that should be forced to go somewhere else, jail comes to mind immediately.
The teachers should have to do nothing except call the police.
Teachers are teachers, not defenders or protectors, that is the job of the police. And jail is the place for kids that threaten teachers or other kids.

Becky Plummer 3 years, 4 months ago

It is a shame that a bear being killed by legal methods (whether you agree with it or not) gets more attention that an autistic child being bullied does. Does anyone have an up date on how this has been handled and would you mind posting so those of us still concerned can know? Thank you kindly.

obamablows 3 years, 4 months ago

first off i feel for your daughter and i'am sorry that she is going through this but for you people to sit back and blame the parents LAME!!! let's try peer pressure as a parent of a child who was bullied by kids from prominent family's in this town and I know the parent's very well and know they were not raised this way.so explain to me how you blame the parents ? as for the school and teachers im in fool agreement its a joke my kid took so much then she reported it i reported it nothing was done then she started defending herself and was labled a bully they brought in mr.silverman to clean up the school but he is nothing but a nuisance to the children and parents I wish you luck with your problem but this district is a complete joke when it comes to crime and punishment