Michael J. Chivington: Killing not honorable

On Nov. 20, Richard Kendall, of Craig, crawled into a 703-pound black bear’s cave and shot it from about six feet away.

Kendall seemed very proud of himself. What a good boy he was. He killed only because he could, not for food, not to defend himself from attack. He only shoots bears who are cornered in caves and cannot run away or shoot back.

One could break a window with a baseball bat, but does that justify breaking windows?

Kendall killed a bear whose only crime was to have survived in a hostile world and who had gone about his business of being a bear in nature’s harsh and demanding environment.

Kendall shames me. His killing of this animal is a crime. It is a crime of willful and dishonorable intention. This killing served no purpose other than to prove that, yes, since he could kill something, then that is what he did. (I wonder how Mr. Kendall would fare up against an opponent who was equally armed?)

This crime is my crime too, society’s crime also, in that we tolerate it. That we, as a society, condone or even honor it, shows how little is our respect for life.

Michael J. Chivington

Bremerton, Washington

Comments

onewhocares 3 years, 4 months ago

Bless your heart Michael Chivington. You may live far away from us, but you are a man near & dear to my heart. Many of us locals feel the exact same way.

Tim Kjera 3 years, 4 months ago

Most sportsmen believe in the concept of fair chase, that is, that the game being pursued has a fair chance to escape. This animal had no such chance. It was killed. It was not hunted.

Just because the actions of Mr. Kendall were legal, doesn't make them moral. The entire article gave me the creeps, including that ghastly picture and the ramblings about God, as if He gave this as a blessing to this person.

I have hunted all my life, and had several opportunities to shoot bears, large bears, in a fair chase situation. I chose not to do so. The living memories of those bears are more important to me than a skull hanging on the wall, or a rug by the fireplace. Mr. Kendall does all sportsmen a disservice, when he kills a hibernating bear in his den and then brags about it.

There is no need to publish this story. A real sportsman would be asking for God's forgiveness after doing this, not proclaiming His blessings.

Colette Erickson 3 years, 4 months ago

You are all so articulate, and so correct. This incident is a disgrace, on a variety of levels.

MCHS2009 3 years, 4 months ago

Mr. Chivington

As many others have stated, this may not be the honorable thing to do, and as free individuals, everyone has the right to their own opinions. I respect that.

You say "That you as a responsible newspaper would not respond to this event as less than honorable, speaks volumes about your collective ethics and principles regarding this matter.".

I disagree, I think the Craig Daily Press has done its job as a responsible newspaper, it has been fair and impartial. to respond to this event as less than honorable, it would be doing a disservice to news sources. Their job is to paint an impartial picture, not editorialize. The Craig Daily Press has reported the news, and what Mr. Kendall had to say. The fact that the Craig Daily Press has done this does indeed speak volumes about its ethics and fairness in reporting the news. It has reported not only what is popular, and mainstream, but also other newsworthy articles. The paper does not have the right to choose what is and is not the right thing to publish. I commend them for printing an article that may be controversial, something that not everyone might agree with.

Thank you, Craig Daily Press.

native_craig_guy 3 years, 4 months ago

Wow, the mere fact that CDP Staff published an editorial from a hippie over 1,000 miles away seems to me like they are trying to stir the pot and/or are subtly editorializing the issue (which I doubt). Lets face it, drama sells papers. What is more dramatic than a letter from an ignorant hippie in the northwest published in a very, very pro hunting town.

Butch001 3 years, 4 months ago

l was horrified to read about the bear killer. I agree with Mike Chivington. All I can say is that guy better have eated all 700 pounds of that bear. Or he was killing without purpose.--which to me is a crime against nature.

George Robertson 3 years, 4 months ago

So I take it Butch001 that you're ok with him wasting 3 pounds of it?

jbjones00 3 years, 4 months ago

To all the people criticizing this man, yes the meat from this bear has been processed and is being used for food. Everyone is saying bad things about the hunt, which he did track this bear and did hunt, but what are you all going to do when hunting is outlawed and bears become overpopulated, and start coming into cities and towns to feed. As soon as one of you or your family members is hurt or killed, I'm sure you will be for hunting again. As for this man's morals and standards, if what he did was wrong, he is the one that has to pay the price for it. Who are you all to judge him? I'm sure all of you who are criticizing are perfect. Besides that fact, I applaud him for standing up for what he believes in and the hunting way of life. I will stand by this man and support him 100% for his actions-he is my father. I'm so glad to see all of you on here, have made my father a priority in your life, that you have to sit on here and talk about my dad. So you can sit here and talk bad, you can talk good, but it's nice to know that you are all thinking about him.

dcc0928 3 years, 4 months ago

I too am sickened that a majestic animal was killed for no reason. What sport is there in killing a cornered animal? Though I now live in a large city, I was born and raised in a small rural town. I took a hunter safety course in high school and marksmanship in college. I'm a member of the NRA and own several handguns, shotguns and rifles. Yet the only animal I have ever killed was a single bird ... with a BB gun. I still feel regret and remorse for that act. Please leave these wild animals be. We're driving them to extinction fast enough as is. Charlotte,NC

als362 3 years, 4 months ago

I believe that all the people that have thrown insults at this man for killing this bear have nothing more than a very serious case of sour grapes because they didn't have the cahnce to bag this trophy.