Craig resident Richard Kendall, 56, stands Wednesday with the skull of a 703-pound male black bear he shot Nov. 20 in the Wilson Creek area of Moffat County. Kendall said the bear could be a state record. He said his skull measured 22 and 5/8 inches, while the current state record measures 22 and 9/16 inches.

Photo by Brian Smith

Craig resident nabs 703-pound bear, possible state record

Richard Kendall got on the ground.

It was a cold November morning, but the 56-year-old Craig resident didn’t pay much attention to the frozen earth and snow under his body.

What consumed his thoughts was the monstrosity resting in the cave ahead of him.

Heart pounding and adrenaline pumping, he stuck his head inside the cave and made eye contact with the object of his hunt — a 703-pound black bear, one bigger than he’d ever seen or tracked before.

At that moment, the world around him stopped — it was only he and the bear, do or die.

“If you have a 700-pound bear coming out of that hole, you ain’t going to make it,” he said. “All he has to do is hit you once with a swat. His forearms are 20 inches in diameter. The pad alone is eight inches wide. Claws are three inches long.

“You tell me what that thing can do to you.”

Taking aim from about six feet away, Kendall saw his opportunity as the bear looked away and pinned his ears back.

“I went back over that scenario a bunch of times and that bear just looked like he was peaceful and just about as peaceful as he could get,” he said. “But, peaceful was about over, I could tell.

“Once he laid his ears back, I thought, ‘It’s either now or never, or this ain’t going to happen.’”

There was only one thing going through Kendall’s head at that point, he said, in the face of a bear ready to defend home and self.

“Shoot him.”

“Yeah, my adrenaline was pumping,” he said with a laugh. “I was pumped to the max when I went into the mouth of that cave. How much higher adrenaline can you get knowing that there is something in there that is twice as big as you and can eat your lunch in a heartbeat?”

Kendall’s shot was true.

It was Nov. 20, and after hunting bears and other game his whole life, the hunter knew he finally had his trophy.

The 703-pound male black bear Kendall shot on that day in the Wilson Creek area of Moffat County could be a state record, he said.

According to the Boone and Crockett Club, the Colorado state record for black bear has a skull measuring 22 and 9/16 inches and was killed in Mesa County in 2007.

Kendall contends his could edge the state record at 22 and 5/8 inches, if the skull doesn’t shrink before the official measurement is taken.

The world record black bear’s skull measured 23 and 10/16 inches, according to the hunting club.

It all started about a week before Nov. 20, Kendall recalled.

He and a friend from Arizona were scouting the area for mountain lion tracks when they stumbled upon the bear’s tracks.

“I’d seen it that summer and knew that he was a big bear then, but I didn’t really know how big he was until I saw his track in the snow,” he said. “You get a good look at it and his track was as big as my ball cap in the snow.”

Later, the two went back to the area and found a fresh bear track leading down a draw into the bear’s cave.

That afternoon, the men drove to Meeker, purchased a bear tag and spent the night hoping the bear would still be in its cave when they planned to arrive in the morning.

All night, Kendall tossed and turned, thinking about the bear, killing it and how to do it safely.

Taking his friend and two other men with him, Kendall arrived at the cave and shot the bear twice for safe measure.

It took the four men about 45 minutes to pull the bear from the cave and a half hour to drag it 100 yards to get it onto the back of a truck, in the midst of celebration from Kendall and the other men.

“We were running on an adrenaline high for two or three days,” he said. “I’m still on a high.”

More than just the size of the kill, there was something special about the bear, Kendall said. He feels as if the trophy was handed to him, considering he was able to track it with his glasses on for 200 yards to find its cave.

“It is just like the Lord said, ‘Here is your really big bear,’” he said. “It was too easy. It was something that was really special.”

Since that November day, news of Kendall’s kill and actions entering the bear’s cave have spread through Northwest Colorado like “wildfire,” he said.

Kendall said residents he has never met from around Craig have been stopping to congratulate him on the kill.

Numerous times, Kendall has had a stranger show him a picture of the bear on their cellular phone not knowing it is his kill.

“They have the picture of the bear and they don’t know who took it and they say, ‘Can you believe this bear, look at the size … you think it’s real?’” Kendall said. “And I go, ‘Yeah, I shot it.’”

But, Kendall’s reputation as a hunter hasn’t been the only thing growing since he took the bear.

The hunter’s respect for the animal has also swelled, he said.

“You can’t even believe how much I respect that bear,” he said.

Looking into the bear’s eyes moments before killing it bonded the two forever, Kendall said.

“There is something about bears,” he said. “They have a special spirit, special aura, a special something that I can’t even tell you what is there.”

Kendall said he also admires the bear for its raw power.

“You have respect for that bear for the fact that he can kill you,” he said.

“I know that anybody who has never hunted won’t have a clue how us as hunters have respect for the animals we’re after,” he said.

Kendall has several trophy animals lining his wall at home. But, there is one in particular he admires.

It is a large buck killed by his father that he has been trying to best during more than 45 years of hunting.

“I can’t beat it, but I’ve come close and now I have a trophy bear that my son and nobody else is going to beat, either,” he said. “Or, maybe they will. Maybe it will give them some incentive to drive to try to beat it.”

Kendall said he has been hunting big bears his whole life and had “never come close” to getting one.

“Until now,” he said with a smile. “That’s why I said it feels like the Lord just handed it to me. It was here, ‘This is your trophy, this is what you get and that is pretty much going to be it.’”

Kendall doubts he’ll ever top his recent kill. But, if the chance arises, he’ll try again.

“Why not?” he said. “I would be very satisfied with what I’ve got and I have no intention of getting a bigger one, but if it happens and I get a shot at another monster bear, I would probably do it all over again.

“Or next time (I’ll) take my son and try to get him one.”

After all, despite a bad back, Kendall is still at an age where he can hunt with the best of them.

Much like the bear was before the two met in the cave, Kendall is still in his prime.

And there is something calling him back to the hills beyond Craig. It’s a sign he saw evidence of in his trophy kill — scars cut deep into its hide.

“He has been fighting like hell, so I know that there is a bear up there as big as he is or close,” Kendall said.

Comments

onewhocares 3 years, 4 months ago

I can honestly say, this article & mentality behind the hunter makes me truly sick. How is shooting a bear in a cave "hunting" and how does the hunter find ONE ounce of honor in his act?? It's one thing to hunt, and use all the animal's parts for food and clothing (people generally do not eat bear meat though) after a day of tracking - It's quite another to kill an animal resting in its dean, for bragging rights and for his skull and hide. This mentality is the reason why there will be no wildlife left for our great grandchildren. As for his comment --“There is something about bears,” “They have a special spirit, special aura, a special something that I can’t even tell you what is there.” I couldn't agree more. In fact I've had my own share of close encounters with both black & grizzly, yet they are more beautiful alive than dead & I don't see how shooting one in what it perceives is his home is honorable. I can understand killing a bear when your life is being actually threatened by the bear (going inside ITS cave doesn't count) but killing wildlife for the sake of killing is beyond sickening to me.

GreyStone 3 years, 4 months ago

We need to bring some of these bears to Craig…they can eat the dogs, cats and deer. Hunters can just step out the front door and shoot a bear. What a great tourist draw!!!!

Colette Erickson 3 years, 4 months ago

onewhocares - couldn't have said it better myself. You were much more polite than I was going to be. Excuse me, I have to go puke now.

kathleenpost 3 years, 4 months ago

"So I know that there is a bear up there as big as he or close."... Please look in another area,dont wipe them all out in one spot. Congratulations on fullfilling your destiny,by killing a bear.It does make it easier to understand those T.V. shows of bear attack,how merciless the bears are when they chew and rip you apart relentless,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you and the bear are the same type animals when fighting. I thought the bear would look nice alive still too,sad.But I know you need to hunt,just dont kill them all please,. Just leave some for me to look at ,'Ill never kill one, that means there are more bears for you to kill,once should be enough,next time the bear could get you instead. !Good wishes.My grandpa would have loved this story.

cmawest 3 years, 4 months ago

hunting is the only sport in america where your opponent doesn't know he is playing.

als362 3 years, 4 months ago

I hope there are some of the people that read this story understand that if hunting bears is not done, that some day the bears will be roaming through downtown Craig just as they do in downtown Steamboat Springs now.
I can't wait to hear the outcry from the feeble in spirit when a bear rummages through their trash cans, sleeps in their yard, corners their dog, or eats their flowers. If a few deer scare these people half to death, what will bears do for the fears they have?

David Moore 3 years, 4 months ago

"If a few deer scare these people half to death, what will bears do for the fears they have?"

LOL, no kidding. They think the deer are a problem. Fortunately, unlike Steamboat, Craig is far removed from a national forest in our backyard and I don't see bear invasion as a problem yet. Although, a few years back one was spotted roaming town, maybe looking for small dogs to eat that the killer deer missed. I totally understand hunting and the principals behind it, but to crawl into the home of a bear and shoot it twice is cowardly in my book. That's not the definition of hunting that I have been taught. Next time he may not be so lucky, which is just what that was...luck that the bear did not have him for dinner.

sgoree 3 years, 4 months ago

This guy acts like he's a hero directed by God. Just like the other comments, I agree that the man is a coward. What would possess a person to hunt down an animal, minding its own business in its cave, and shoot it, then talk about how fabulous he is? That's a sickness, my friend. That's something that a person needs to work out with a team of psychiatrists. That reminds me of the hillbilly mentality of the "men" who used to shoot the buffalo from trains. Big men. People forget that this is THEIR home; we're the ones who are intruding. If you think it was the Lord talking to you, that's what the devil tells you when you've been doing the wrong thing for so long that your conscience doesn't work anymore.

nightwatch 3 years, 4 months ago

TO BAD THE BEAR WAS NOT AWAKE WAITING FOR THIS BIG BAD A-- HUNTER,,,,WHY DONT YOU GO OUT TO BROWNS PARK AND CRAWL IN A MNTN LIONS DEN,,,???? I DONT UNDERSTAND THE MENTALITY OF SOME OF THESE SO CALLED HUNTERS,,

Rebelgirl 3 years, 4 months ago

Really now the bears are in the same leauge as bear? The reason the bears are in downtown areas is the forest they use as home is being destroyed by man. They have no food in their natural habitat so they go where they can get food. Just like the $$$ that shot a bear not knowing what it was in Steamboat last year. Of course he got his wrist slapped far from what he should have gotten. I agree with the other comments here there is no "sport" in sport hunting. It doesn't take a whole lot talent to shoot an animal that is trapped or baited. If you hunt for anything but using the meat, hide and all of the other items you can use from the animal, you need to find another hobby. People wonder why the herds are not what they use to be, when you take out the strongest of the group and leave the weak behind then you eliminate the good genes. What do you think is happening to the human race?? I have not and will not ever support "sport" hunting where the animals are killed because someone thinks they have something to prove or compensate for.

onewhocares 3 years, 4 months ago

I can honestly say I just love all the people (young & old) who had the wisdom & integrity to speak against this guy's so called "hunting." You give me hope for the future.

hikingincolorado 3 years, 4 months ago

Really, this is called hunting, tracking down a sleeping animal in his cave and shooting it while it is awaking from the smell and sound of an intruder? Goodness, may the same God that gave Mr. Kendall "his" bear, save us all from the insanity of his own creation and likeness. My family has been hunting for generations in Colorado, and I can tell you that this is not sportsmanship, it is just a plain case of cowardness.

j4mom7 3 years, 4 months ago

I just hope that bear had a belly full of calf (the "moo" kind) when it was killed after being woken up in its hibernation den. That would be the only justifiable reason to kill it, especially in the manner it was taken. No tracking, no hunting...just follow the visible paw prints in the snow to where it's sleeping and pop, pop, all gone. Don't even have to think or break a sweat to do that. The picture of the bear half in, half out of his den is appalling. That's not hunting, that's just killing because you can. I get that when they come down out of the mountains and take livestock, they have to be dealt with. They are killing a rancher's livelihood. Which is not to say we don't set them up to do it when we move farther into what has always been seen as their habitat, and then have a free meal graze right in their front yard. Kind of a "no win" situation for all concerned. But that still doesn't justify Kendall killing a sleeping bear just so he can say "hot damn, I killed it. Look at this great trophy!" Where is the character in that?

jbjones00 3 years, 4 months ago

Everyone who has made negative comments about the bear hunt. Really? Do you none of you have anything better to do with your time? Each person is entitled to live their life the way they choose-if they want to hunt, that is their choice. Just because something is said in an article in the paper, that doesn't mean that is necessarily how is was said or meant in the interview. Don't be so hateful.

als362 3 years, 4 months ago

Good for you jbjones00, you are correct. I believe what we have here is a group of people that have sour grapes because they didn't have the chance to bag a record bear. Just my opinion.

onewhocares 3 years, 4 months ago

To: jbjones00 & als 362,

It's not about being "sour grapes." It's about teaching our children to have respect, honor & courage towards other people and towards our wildlife. This act was a completely cowardly act & it's wonderful people are standing up and saying so. There may truly come a day, when the people of NW Colorado, have nothing to eat from things going from bad to worse in society, except for the animals that live here naturally. We need to be responsible managers of our four legged ones, and treat them with the respect they deserve, for they may be the ones keeping your family fed one day.

Jon Pfeifer 3 years, 4 months ago

I don't find anything wrong with what this hunter did, although I understand why people have an issue with this. He had a tag, which means the DOW had determined that the bear population in that area needed to be controlled through hunting. He didn't use bait or shoot the bear from his truck. He followed the bear's tracks in the snow and somehow came to within six feet of the bear, who was apparently awake. The article doesn't indicate how he got that close, so I won't guess. Once you are within six feet from an animal capable of killing you fairly easily, I don't think that saying "oh, hey, I'm just too close to you for this to be sporting" is really an option. So he did what he was authorized to do by law and shot the bear.

I personally do not understand or share a love for hunting as a sport, as I see hunting primarily as a means to obtain meat. In my mind, when I have a gun and the animal doesn't, the deck is pretty stacked. But having hunted with people who enjoy hunting for sport independent of the notion of hunting for meat, I can understand that point of view and I don't perceive anything wrong with it.

I think this hunter acknowledged that the bear "fell into his lap" so to speak. He didn't seem overly arrogant about what he did. (Frankly, any hunting story has to have some amount of pride infused into it). And his discussion of God to me simply indicates that he is religious and probably sees God in much of what he does.

I congratulate him for his achievement.

als362 3 years, 4 months ago

I agree with everything that Smalltowner said except one thing.
This sentence: "In my mind, when I have a gun and the animal doesn't, the deck is pretty stacked." I invite you to go on an unguided bull Elk hunt on Black Mountain during any of the 3 regular seasons and tell me how easy it is when you are through. I believe that when you come back, you will agree with me that the Elk has the upper hand, and carries all the cards in his favor. Other than that though, fantastic post, you are dead on the money with that one. And Thank You for standing up for something that should have never been said as being wrong.

Ready5 3 years, 4 months ago

So to all of you anti-hunting experts out there, do you want to tell everyone how you should hunt bear? Is there a way that you do agree with? You are against hunting and there are those of us who are against anti-hunting posters!

outfitter77 3 years, 4 months ago

I am surprized to find there are so many anti hunters in Craig. Hunters a are big part of Craig's economy and it may not be to smart to bad mouth them. The way this bear was taken is totally legal and if you anti's have a problem with that you need to talk to your fish and wildlife people. They are the ones who set the standard as to how to hunt bears. I say congradulations to Richard for taking such a trophy.

nico2007 3 years, 4 months ago

So all of you say that u are vegetarians? do u eat at McDonalds? u buy hamburger ? ya of course u do just as long as you dont see who killed it,or how it got killed,you all are just fine.Have you ever seen a slaughter house? you have!!!! well then you should know how animals you eat are killed.The only thing this man did that was wrong was listen to all this crap you people are rambling on about !! give me a break sounds like a bunch of B.S.!!!! its not our fault you moved to one of the biggest hunting towns in the u.s. if you don't like it move back to the city where there are more bear eating your dogs and your little kitty's.And who said he didn't track the bear in the first place, who said that? as far as you know he tracked down for miles and found where the bear lived, you people have know idea? GOD BLESS THE HUNTER AND THE BEAR!!!

Malcontent 3 years, 4 months ago

Had it been a human instead of a bear, Kendall would have been arrested for stalking, breaking and entering, and murder.

GreyStone 3 years, 4 months ago

Bear meet does not taste like chicken , However, they make a real nice rug.

GreyStone 3 years, 4 months ago

Boy what a wonderful rug though, and the satisfaction realized by upsetting a lot of goofy, nonsensical people.

sosad 3 years, 4 months ago

Amazing how many people move to the woods to enjoy all nature has to offer then whine about having to live among nature. Wake up Craig residents, you moved to bear country. If you don't like a few bears occasionally getting into your trash cans then move to the big city where you belong. Ambushing a bear going into hibernation isn't hunting. This was no "achievment" by an admirable hunter and if this guy is a hero among Craig that's a sad thing.

Craig has earned a black eye for this act. You are on the map for a despicable act.

Like the folks said, stop thinnng the gene pool of the biggest and the best animals for one guy's trophy. The human gene pool is already too shallow and we are seeing the results.

See other websites, many hunters are against Kendall's actions and will be working to revise hunting laws.

hunter 3 years, 4 months ago

It is amazing to see the level of ignorance in this thread. It is typical of people who have been removed from nature and do not understand anything about what they preech. This bear was exhibiting denning behavoir. Often bears will have a couple "dens" set up and eventually settle on one for the winter. They often spend weeks visiting theese dens. In november bears are in a mode where they eat as much as possible as quickly as possible then try to save energy by laying low. If the weather breaks off nice they go back out and eat, if not they hang out and wait. Also bears do not truly hibernate, they go into a sleep mode where they slow the heart rate down and rest. Unlike a true hibernation they can often be awake in a split second if needed. So even if this bear was "hibernating" the odds of it not waking up were very slim. They can go from total sleep to kill you mode in seconds. If you do not think it was a challenge then I would like to see you walk into a small hole with a 700 pound bear that is corned and realizes that the only way out to safety is through you.

Overall people in thread show very little understanding of bears and bear habits.

hunter 3 years, 4 months ago

As far as the meat... Gues what it is eaten and has to be consumed by Colorado Law. Bear meat is tasty nad some of the best meat out there. It would result in a fellony wasting charge if the animal was not consumed. It also just so hapopens that the skull makes a great trophy as does the rug.

Also when in our societry to self reliance, and the ability to provide for your family while protecting and managing wildlife become evil? How far removed are we from the "real" natural world to not realize that provinding your family with clean lean healthy protien is a bad thing? How far removed from nature we when we see fur as evil instead of a great textile to provide use with envronmentally friendly coats, blankets, hats, etc.?

hunter 3 years, 4 months ago

RebelGirl you are very backwards in your thinking. The bears are not a problem in Steamboat because we are taking all thier habitat. Instead our state has created a bear problem by limiting hunting so much they really do not fear humans at all and instead see them as a food source. This state had very few bear issues up until the 90s when all the bunny huggers came out and banned all the legititmate methods for hunters to "manage" the bear population. At that time the ability of hunters to keep the bear populations in the target areas where the natural habitiat could support was greatly diminshed and as a result the bear population expaned. Add to the fact that prior to the ban bears could be ran with dogs, which increased the fear of a bear from humans. Back when bears could be ran with dogs a dog barking was a negative thing. Now a dog barking is like ringing a dinner bell. While habitat loss is a concern for all wildlife, bears are suffering way more from overpopulation and a total lack of fear of humans.

The pendulum has swung so far that in many areas DOW officers are shooting way more bears in dumpsters than hwat the hunters can kill. Is this the death you prefer for a bear? Do you like to see the bear population so high that as many as 6 a week are killed in dumpsters at taxpayer expense or should they have a balanced population that helps to insure a better life for both the bears and the hunmans?

daybyday 3 years, 4 months ago

"Hunter,"

You can call it nesting, winter lethargy, bedding down, sleeping, napping, denning or, as you chose, "sleep mode," but the CO Division of Wildlife calls it hibernation. Black bear can go 100 days straight without food, water, urinating/defecating and exercising in the winter months. This is why wildlife biologists enter dens for research. If you're interested in improving, as you said, lack of understanding regarding bear and bear habits, you might interview or research Tom Beck, renowned biologist and bear expert from our very own state of Colorado. He entered hundreds of bear dens in CO, including dens with mom and cubs. He doesn't recommend that anyone attempt this, but due to his expertise he has undoubtedly been consulted, and bear hunting laws will now change in CO due to an obvious lack of ethical behavior...or as you call it, "ignorance."

ColoGeezer 3 years, 4 months ago

what in the world is Craig coming to? I remember when a man could go out and shoot a critter and not be condemned.

It sure sounds to me like there are a bunch of tree huggers who have moved to town. Maybe you should move back to where you came from if you don't like the way things are here.

You talk about how it was cruel and not sporting. I think a big bear like that is not going to be real sporting when he takes a swing at you.

You talk about how real hunters don't do that. So, when i go out with my big rifle and shoot a deer at 400 yards, is that sporting because I stood so far away. I don't see a big difference, other than the bear would hurt me a lot more than the deer.

I know Richard and think he is one heck-of-a-man and I know after reading that article that he has more guts than I do...

Don't let the door hit you in the backside if you don't like the way we hunt...

budpg 3 years, 4 months ago

Colo geezer- You will wake up one day and wonder why more and more of your hunting heritage has been taken away. People are losing patience with these continuous "ethical lapses" committed by hunters. Calling people tree huggers instead of improving the way people view wildlife will be your mistake not ours. By all the misspellings on this blog I can see why people say that hunters aren't the brightest group of people. You must be an old geezer to think shooting an animal in a den is "hunting"

hunter 3 years, 4 months ago

Budpg.

Way to add some really good arguments to the conversation. Surely a person mispelling words indicates a total lack of intellegence and therefore is a great reason to dismiss the arguments. Okease...

You really think that me standing up for my right to hunt is going to be the death of our sport? Not a chance what will be the death is people who continually believe in teh disney way of the world where all the little woodland creatures get along. That perception of nature and the ability of people to add human characteristics to animals will be the down fall.

As far the issue, bears will spend weeks in and around dens before they ever "hibernate". Older are often known to have several dens pick out as potnetial den sites, they will often visit and defend the sites if necessary from other bears. There was once a den near our elk hunting camp that used by a bear. This was one of our outfitting camps down near Glenwood. On brown phazed bear was seen in that several times from late august until late November. That bear would stake out that den, and check it almost daily. I personnally saw him enter and leave 3 day in a row one season when we were trying to target a spcific buck in the area. What makes that spot any different than a pnd where they drink or a patch of berries they eat? Or any different than a spot where a big buck has been observed bedding on a daily basis? Or a patch of thick timber where bed down morning? Nothing makes it any different. They found an animal, and went to harvest it. The animal had 12 hours to be in a different spot. It could have left the den at any point, just as a big buck could walk out of its bed. The very fact that he bear laid its ears back at teh hunter is a great sign of what could have happened. Simple put the guy had a great hunt resulting in lots of meat, good memories, a nice blanket and a cool skull for over the fire place.

As I see it the guy did what every other hunt does... Locates and animal, makes a move to get hte shot, and ended up with a clean kill.

PS I know Beck and have spent time visiting with him. I also know a couple other state "experts" they all agree it is not a true hibernation. One of whom I saw today while I was out elk hunting mentioned that the bear was not hibernating at all, giving the circumstances. He just happened to be caught with his gaurd down... No different than anyother animal.

GreyStone 3 years, 4 months ago

Gosh, there seems to be some very negative aspects to getting your story printed in this paper…notice the Craig bear hunter receiving all the disparaging, uneducated remarks locally and nationally. People should be a little more reluctant to get interviewed by this paper.

David Moore 3 years, 4 months ago

Read the article in today's edition from the DOW, they are questioning the act themselves. From the article: “Hampton said there are several other states with regulations against shooting bears in dens or caves. “People support hunting because it is, for the most part … based on sound principals of wildlife management and is based in the ethic of fair chase,” he said. Fair chase, Hampton said, is one of the founding principals of modern hunting. “There are many things with ethics of hunting that are not regulated,” he said. “For example, duck hunters will tell you that you don’t shoot ducks on a pond — you wait until they are in flight. You don’t shoot turkeys out of a roost and you don’t shoot bears in their dens.”

Again for the slow ones...You don't shoot bears in their dens. What was done may be legal but ethically (and you don't have to be a “tree hugger” to understand ethics and morals) is where the line has been drawn. This story, and subsequent commentary, is making our town out to appear to be full of ruthless, beer drinkin' bubbas that posses no regard to nature, or other people who might have an opinion about an unethical killing. We are now in the national spotlight because of this story, that is why people from all over the country are responding, unfortunately instead of voicing their opinion on this public forum, they receive the standard treatment when disagreeing with certain posters. Well, news flash for you, not everyone in this HUNTING town is a hunter...or a killer, but some of you sure are making us look that way to the rest of the country tuning in to this issue. Google search this story, it is on the first page, it's in hunting magazines of all sorts, and local newspapers from as far away as Connecticut, Florida, North Carolina and Washington state have published it in one form or another. We are looking foolish not only for the act itself, but for the replies that are stating that if your not a hunter and don't like killing, shut your face and move!! Thanks a lot for that.

To those from outside the walls of Craig, please do not think that some of these posters above represent what the mentality of our town really is, we are not a bunch of shoot em' up foolish hicks with a killing fetish. We are a hunting community and we base a lot of our livelihood on it, and, despite what some of these posters are saying, nobody is anti-hunting or against taking trophy game. What HAS fired up this town, and apparently the rest of the country, is the WAY this bear was taken, nothing else.

mcstan 3 years, 4 months ago

I hunt. Many of my friends hunt. None of us hunt that way. Too bad.

GreyStone 3 years, 4 months ago

Ethical, unethical ?? Bear was killed by ethical, unethical means…regardless, the bear is dead. Hunting loins with a pack of dogs, treeing the lion, then shooting it out of a tree…how the He** is that any more humane than what went on with the bear? A long distance shot kills a deer 400 yards away…the deer never knew anyone was there, how is that ethical or unethical, the deer is killed. If we go out to kill something, the animal is going to die, there is nothing nice or fair about getting killed regardless what sort of rules we humans make up to justify it.

hunter 3 years, 4 months ago

Mr. Moore,

The real issue here is tyhat too many people flip flop and try to impose thier ethics on others. Just because you would not do it doesn ot mean it is wrong. I am not sure who Mr. Hampton is speaking for, but if he is letting his own personnal ethics dictate the stance of the DOW on this issue than he should be fired.

Overall the bear was determined to be the one the hunter wanted, he made a move shot the bear, end of story. Regardless there is absolutely nothing wrong with this situation. They located an animal and harvested it. Period. While many would have not done it that way... Some because they were to scared others because they have a different set of beliefs, this guy was on a hunt to kill a bear and did it. In the process he violated no laws, and at the sametiume took a potential state record.

Since when has it became the DOWs place or your place to inflict your beliefs on me and my rights? This is not your job nor is it the the job of the DOW... The job of the DOW is one thing. To manage and protect our wildlife resources while providing the residents of our state with hunting, viewing and other wildlife recreation opportunities. In no place is it meant to be a guide or rule for ethics... In no place does it state we are here to make hunting what everyone person believes it to be.

For others who say they hunt, but not that way.... Good for you, I may hunt but not your way... The main difference between you and I is that I will not say you are wrong for your choosen legal method of hunting. Just because you do not do, or would not do it, does not mean that it should be banned. That will be the death of our sport, much like the trapping ban, baiting ban, spring bear hunt ban was... At that point in time many hunters took the approach that I do not do it, and gues what we lost a major set of wildlife management tools.

In this case we stand to loose, not because of the ethics violation, but because hunters will not stand together to protect our rights.

Also Mr. Moore for ever person you seem to find crying fould there are many others in this world that see nothing wrong with it at all. Again just like anyother hunt the animal was identified as the one they wanted, they took a shot and the animal died quickly and cleany.

Good hunting and hopefully you will realize that you and morals have no use to me and that ultimately what you and others may believe about ethics should not restrict my right to hunt in a manner that is legal and is also ot going to cause major issues for wildlife managment.

Happy Hunting, I am off to go kshoot as view birds on the pond...

51archer 3 years, 4 months ago

For all those folks throwing their opinions into the mix, here is mine - unless you were personally there you really do not know what happened. The facts are... Mr. Kendall killed a bear using a legal weapon during a legal season with legal methods. Period. If you have never hunted an animal with rifle or bow then you have no idea what even possibly took place. Those of you who have spent anytime in the woods may have some idea. Regardless, we were not there. I do not agree with any modification in our hunting regulations based on conjecture or half truths or perceived ethics. This will only result in more hunting opportunities being taken away. If this situation was prevalent or warranted closer examination by the DOW don't you all think that would have happened by now? Please take the emotion out of this discussion and base your comments on the facts... this is just another witch hunt similar to what happened to spring bear hunting and trapping. And for all those hypocrites... "people who live in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones" or "he who is with out sin cast the first stone".

als362 3 years, 4 months ago

To 51archer: Thank you very much for your comments. You are exactly correct and hit the bulls eye.

DLAABS 3 years, 4 months ago

Ive read all the comments that where said and to all that think richard was wrong, would like to see you go in the woods and track a bear see how it feels, get out of the easy chair put down the remote, out looking and hunting for something that can change things on you in a heart beat and be hunting you. he faced the fear that you didnt face wrong or right, you face that fear of crawling in that den sleeping or not.right or wrong he deserves to proud of HIS trophy.
 you talk about ethics eating your steaks and pork chops, ever watch how those animals are are pinned held and killed for you to enjoy.

als362 3 years, 4 months ago

To DLAABS: Thank you as well for your comments. You are also right on the money. It will forever be my opinion that all the people that wrote comments against the way this hunt was done, have a fantastic case of the sourest grapes ever tasted. People have written comments here, who by their own admission have no idea what they are talking about. To all those who have ideas that something wrong was done. Leave it alone, it is none of your business. It is between the hunter and the DOW, thats all, no one else.

donthunt 3 years, 3 months ago

I don't see why you people think you need to hunt and don't say for meat. You can go to the store and they have plenty of meat you can buy. I do that I don't have to go out and shoot some poor animal.

ckamom 3 years, 3 months ago

First of all this article written by the CDP was obviously done to get attention for the paper. They intentionally wrote it with the desire to get national attention, because, seriously with the overall animal rights agendas and etc,, people who do not live in rural hunting areas will automatically take offense. The people who have responded to comments by people outside the area have only fueled the overall negative view of Craig. If you really have pride in your town, please take a couple of moments before you fire off responses, because, really all you have done is solidify the redneck identity that this story has given Craig.

George Robertson 3 years, 3 months ago

donthunt, are you serious?? I suppose you believe no "poor animals" were killed to supply you with the meat that you buy in the store.

donthunt 3 years, 3 months ago

Nimrod you don't know anything. Meat can be made in a factory now. Instead of you and your buddies going out and killing beautiful animals it creates jobs for those that work in the factory that creates the meat. Sorry you have no excuse to kill.

GreyStone 3 years, 3 months ago

Yea Nimrod, get a clue, the most popular meat factories are McDonalds, Hardies, Safeway, Kroger and lots of others. Go there and get Ur meat, don’t needlessly go out and kill some defenseless animal for meat.

GreyStone 3 years, 3 months ago

donthunt,

The economy of Colorado depends on hunting and all the hunting, fees, guns, ammunitions, tents, trucks, trailers, books, maps and all the necessary equipment needed to kill stuff for entertainment and a little food. Shooting things is great sport…sort of gives me a sense of greatness and power over the stuff I shoot…A lot better than a video game. Without hunting, your taxes will go up.

donthunt 3 years, 3 months ago

GreyStone- You don't think the factories that make the meat are important to the Colorado economy? I have heard there is a big factory in Greeley not only does it create jobs it also create jobs for immigrants. They also need trucks and trailers to haul the meat they make around in. These immigrants can rent houses (house are better than tents) and I am sure they need maps to find there way from Mexico to Colorado. I know some of them have guns and ammunition because I read about them shooting each other in the papers.

If everyone shot deer, elk, and bear for their meat. What do you think it would do to the state economy? You did think of that did you? More importantly all the cute cuddly animals would be hurt.

als362 3 years, 3 months ago

There is no such a thing as a factory that makes meat. Nature makes meat.
There are though places called slaughter houses that cut the meat up and package it for human use. But no factory has ever made meat.
They might produce vegetable products that look like meat, but those are not meat. Only nature can do that.

GreyStone 3 years, 3 months ago

Donthunt,

Jobs in the meat factories on the Eastern slope of Colorado are manned, almost exclusively by (Undocumented) immigrants that take low paying jobs away from Legal American workers. I have been to the animal slaughter houses at these Meat factories, in Eastern Colorado And they will make your stomach turn inside out. Hunting and shooting animals is much more human.

donthunt 3 years, 3 months ago

GreyStone-But they don't kill animals like you do when you shoot a deer or a bear in the meat factories. Because of the meat factories you almost need to know spanish to go to Wal-Mart. If is was not for them we would miss out on the cultural of the people that don't even learn english when they come to our country. There are also all the cute little Mexican babies that now will get to stay here forever and we can support with our tax dollars. I see you have not thought this out much.

ckamom 3 years, 3 months ago

Can we talk about the deer who are so starved that they cannot jump a barbed wire fence? Maybe add a picture of one that has painfully perished in this manner? There is such an enormous need for hunting in this area that I am suprised that there is not a better way to get it noticed. Donhunt.... really? I mean really? Do you make sense to yourself? Cause your stuff is just a mess.
Yes those animals that we buy prepackaged in the store were indeed alive. They just didn't enjoy their life.. EVER.

George Robertson 3 years, 3 months ago

It is amazing that we have become so far removed from supplying food for ourselves that we have people who actually believe that meat is "made" in a factory. Sorry to burst your bubble there donthunt but "poor cute cuddly" animals were KILLED, cut up, put on styrofoam trays, and wrapped in saran wrap before being placed on the grocery store shelves for your consumption.