Craig Daily Press announces upcoming changes

Beginning Jan. 1, the Craig Daily Press will no longer distribute print editions of the newspaper on Tuesdays or Thursdays, one of several business model changes Publisher Bryce Jacobson announced Tuesday afternoon.

The print product will continue to appear on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, and the newspaper will continue to deliver classified advertising and news online daily at www.craigdailypress.com.

“We’re excited to make these changes and will continue to produce a product that contains news and information that matters to you, the reader, and will strive to have an audience that will drive customers to your business as an advertiser,” Jacobson said.

Feedback from focus groups the Daily Press hosted earlier in the year played a part in the decision to change the publication dates, the publisher said.

“Earlier this year, the newspaper’s management team met with several focus groups of readers and advertisers and the general consensus of those groups was that while a newspaper is very essential to the future of this community, a small reduction in the print product would not be detrimental to the community,” Jacobson said.

The Saturday Morning Press, the Daily Press’ weekend edition, will continue to be delivered to every home in the area.

Another change being implemented is that, beginning today, the Daily Press will begin transitioning back to charging for single issues of the newspaper.

Newspapers sold inside businesses around Craig and the surrounding area will cost 25 cents each.

Effective Jan. 1, all newspapers, including those at the rack, will cost 25 cents each.

Jacobson said the Daily Press encourages readers to take this opportunity to buy a home delivery subscription.

He also stressed that the changes being implemented are positive for the newspaper and its readership.

“This is an exciting time for the readership of the Craig Daily Press as this change will allow us to produce more robust and effective newsprint products on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, as well as the Saturday Morning Press,” he said. “This change will also allow us to have a more effective website, which will continue to have news and information seven days a week.”

Comments

lonelyone 4 years ago

I'm not sure why you call this exciting. Exciting was when we didn't have to pay for the paper. So if you are cutting back on printed issues and charging again, that tells me these are financial changes. I figured this day would come again, but it's not gonna excite me to pay for your paper!

als362 4 years ago

There is NO WAY I am going to pay $.25 for this rag of a newspaper. There is NO WAY I will pay $.10 or $.05 or $.01 for it either.
What a joke.
But I bet Steamboat will still get their paper for free. Even though it comes from the same publisher why not gouge the people that get the worst of the two papers.

Taxpayer 4 years ago

More negativity from the same writer - does anyone in CraigAmerica or Moffat County do anything correct according to you? Geez, give it a break! The economy is causing a lot of changes for all of us, and it is time to start thinking of the positives within our area, pull up our collective bootstraps, make a plan to improve our education process, clean up the less than eye appealing areas, spay and neuter our pets, find a solution to the deer problem, and help each other in a more neighborly manner.
Merry Christimas too!

als362 4 years ago

I am confused how the paper down grading its service, then expecting people to pay for it has to do with, making a plan to improve our education process, cleaning up the less than eye appealing areas, spaying and neutering our pets, finding a solution to the perceived deer problem, and helping each other in a more neighborly manner. I am certain there is a connection somewhere, but I think it is as imaginary as the deer problem. But I am sure that it will be explained to me.

xrsareus 4 years ago

When I sent my money to receive the Daily Press for a year. I paid money to have a paper on my doorstep 5 days a week. Now, the first of the year I will not get what I paid for. Does everyone get a refund for the broken contract?

als362 4 years ago

I want to wait until the advertisers complain because people are not getting the ads, because they are not going to waste $.25 on a paper the thickness of a tortilla, very little unbiased reporting, and a censor that deletes blog posts as soon as someone gets close to the truth.

David Moore 4 years ago

Hey, look at it this way. The online version is still free, and ad free as well......for now.

unbelievable6060 4 years ago

als362 a rag of a newspaper? I see your comments all over the Craig Daily Press website blogs, for someone who says they won't pay anything for it, you obviously read it pretty frequently whether it is the paper version or on-line. I guess it must be worth much more than you are willing to admit.

als362 4 years ago

Any publication that has opinions like this one will never be worth paying my money for. These are the exact reasons why I make comments on the blog pages.

Taxpayer 4 years ago

Too funny! A good laugh is always perfect for starting the day.