Upon arriving Saturday afternoon at the scene of a cabin fire in Wilderness Ranch, firefighters found a structure fully-involved in flames with little chance of being saved.
However, the nearly 50-person crew from several responding agencies was able to contain the blaze to the cabin, and keep it from spreading to the surrounding forest.
Given the close proximity of trees and the ease in which the fire could have spread to them, containing the fire to the cabin can’t be downplayed, Craig Fire/Rescue Chief Bill Johnston said.
“What I was most worried about … was the forest (around the cabin),” Johnston said. “I’m pretty proud of everyone involved that it didn’t spread.
“That’s the only positive we have — that and nobody got hurt.”
The cabin fire was reported about 12:54 p.m. Saturday.
A news release from the Moffat County Sheriff’s Office reported that Craig resident Adam Smith called the Craig Regional Communication Center and told dispatchers that a family-owned cabin on Forest Service Road, Lot 162 in Wilderness Ranch was on fire.
The area is about 35 miles north of Craig, Johnston said.
Smith, according to the news release, reported that he and a friend were in the cabin’s basement working on plumbing, when they realized the cabin was burning.
“He said that the two had used a fire pit on the cabin’s deck prior to the fire and that there were still burning embers in the pit when they returned to work,” the sheriff’s office release states. “The (pit) was surrounded by firewood and it is suspected that a burning ember may have been blown out of the pit and started the fire on the deck.”
Craig Fire/Rescue responded with two trucks and two tenders, and the Bureau of Land Management and Moffat County Sheriff’s Office also responded with two trucks each.
There were no injuries to any firefighters, Johnston said.
The fire chief said Smith and his friend were taken by private vehicle to The Memorial Hospital in Craig for smoke inhalation.
The cabin was a complete loss, Johnston said.