Editorial: Praise for the pulpits

• Al Cashion, community representative
  • Jeff Pleasant, community representative
  • Bryce Jacobson, newspaper representative
  • Bridget Manley, newspaper representative
  • Chris Nichols, community representative
  • Josh Roberts, newspaper representative

More than politics, more than anything, really, the most divisive issue societies have historically faced has involved religion.

Wars have been — and are still being — fought over matters of faith, and it’s questionable whether that will ever change.

It’s almost understandable — people are passionate about their respective beliefs of a higher power, and sometimes attach an intolerance to others who believe differently.

Understandable, yes. Acceptable? Never.

But, don’t confuse this with a condemnation on all religions, or even any one particular religion.

Quite the opposite, actually.

On Monday, Editorial Board members discussed a less-heralded attribute of Craig and Moffat County, and that’s our community’s seemingly wide range of religious offerings.

While it’s true that some religions are not represented here — Judaism, Islam and Buddhism, among others — this can be attributed more to the demographics of the area rather than a referendum against these religions.

However, one look around town, and people are likely to find an assortment of spiritual options, albeit on a smaller scale than, for instance, metropolitan areas.

There are faiths of numerous Christian origins — Baptist, Catholic, Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist and non-denominational, among others — as well selections for Latter-day Saints and Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Although on the surface this doesn’t necessarily seem like diversity, the sheer number of churches and places of worship our community has is impressive, and enough to provide evidence that community members have a choice in where they can go for their spiritual needs, Editorial Board members contend.

Other refreshing aspects of Craig and Moffat County’s religious community are the leaders of these churches and places of worship, and of course, the parishioners and congregations they serve.

Generally speaking, our religious leaders are kind and open-minded toward others. They have their faith and beliefs, and yet most do not preach fire and brimstone about those who think and feel differently.

This can largely be said of many local churchgoers, many of whom are quick to spearhead or be involved in projects on behalf of community betterment or for those in need.

There are exceptions in both categories, to be certain, but Editorial Board members think our community is largely tolerant, and in many cases accepting, of other faiths.

Although this positive characteristic is one less recognized about our community, it’s nonetheless vitally important. It’s one less avenue on which our community can become splintered.

Comments

furrball 4 years, 3 months ago

As a person who believes there's more than one avenue to feel connected with the powers above. Are there any non-Christian faiths represented here??? Because... regardless of the number of Christian sects tolerated in Craig... It's still pretty one dimensional. Thank the Lord, Allah, and Siddhartha that we have the natural surrounding around Moffat County for me to find my chuch. Peace to all, but are we really diverse?

George Robertson 4 years, 3 months ago

The Pope is really upset about this. He got a call from Jesus Christ himself, but the problem is that it was a collect call from Salt Lake.

taxslave 4 years, 3 months ago

There is only one Most High....there should only be one church.

The pulpits are polluted and infiltrated by the tares, an abomination. Run for your lives and go to the Lord yourself on your knees.,,,"my sheep hear my voice", not, "go listen to the blind & deaf man on the platform".

The churches are nothing but debt monsters with huge mortgages, robbing from the poor, the widow, the orphan. No wonder the scriptures say that judgement begins at the house of God.

The church needs to repent on the scale of Ninevah.

als362 4 years, 3 months ago

I agree with tax slave, there is only one most high. But he can be refered to to by many names.
Believing in God, and an after life does not mean that there is only one way to worship, or one name for that God.
There are many different religions in the US and the world today, many have the same basic beliefs. That if you believe in God and have been baptized you will go to heaven.
Most use the same Bible. They might interpret it a bit differently than you, but that does not diminish their belief in God. I don't understand where tax slave got this idea that churches rob from people, I have not seen that myself. To furrball: I wonder if these other religions have submitted a story to be printed.

Lawspecialist 4 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps I didn't understand the question, although I read it several times and the only answer response I can come up with is this.... If there are those of "non-christian faiths" why would a church be wanted? necessary? God is the creator and ruler of the universe. Everybody, whether they love God, resist Him, or ignore Him, will ultimately come face to face with His majesty, and will recognize Him for who He is (Philippians 2:9-11)

Do they believe in Jesus? Do you really believe? Shortly after Max Lucado came back from his mission work in Rio, Brazil, he shared with a group of his closest friends that his theology was pretty simple. He didn't have a handle on a lot of the big difficult theological problems that divide folks. But Max said he came to the firm and deep conviction that God loves us and he showed that love by really sending Jesus to live among us, to die for us, and to be raised from the dead so that we could be raised from death, too. This is the work of God -- amazingly simple and awesomely powerful; Thus supporting John 6:29 .... John Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: To believe in the one he has sent."

Wouldn't it be great if we could tear down all the walls that divide us -- racial, social, economic, and gender. The apostle Paul spent his entire life trying to do just that: to tear down the walls that divided people by bringing them to Jesus and the cross.

There are no positions of superiority or inferiority at the foot of the cross, only a place for those who discover God's might displayed in sacrifice and God's love displayed even when under attack at the hands of human cruelty. While the forces of culture and human selfishness are always finding ways to divide us, we must remember that in Jesus, and only in Jesus, can we be one.

In a much simpler term: If I am wrong, I have nothing to lose, but if you (non-believers) are wrong, you have everything to lose.

McGruber 4 years, 3 months ago

religion = peace of mind for those scared about their own mortality

If believing in god(s) is what makes you happy then do it but do not try and scare others into it to validate your own insecurities.

For those of you that are believers, Jesus sounds like a socialist to me? Is this correct? I thought I heard someone say socialists were Nazis and also somehow Muslim, so does that make Jesus a Nazi Muslim? No offense intended, I am just asking?

daybyday 4 years, 3 months ago

I didn't understand the question either, however, the "church" is the body of Christ and not any one or any number of physical buildings. The churches Christians build and meet in were and are to be for the purpose of developing spiritual maturity in members to equip them to understand their spiritual gifts in order to help others come to know Christ, for the purpose of service and outreach, and for the purpose of praise and worship to God.

native_craig_guy 4 years, 3 months ago

I think that it is awfully vain for churches in our community to build a million dollar church to pray to their lord. I really thought that a group of such giving individuals would have taken the money and built some mud huts in the Sudan or something to secure their entry into heaven. I guess that no one takes a church in a mall very seriously so they must build a monstrosity in town in order to get into heaven. Good news is that I do not have to listen to their horrible music when I am in the mall on Sundays. I guess in an odd sense, my prayers were answered.

als362 4 years, 3 months ago

I truly feel sorry for those of you that somehow think that the church no matter what religion is either out to get you or has some underlying motive other than promoting their beliefs. I don't know of any religion, except possibly radical islam, that proposes anything other than their beliefs.