Dawn Bolstad: On Obama's speech

Although I am a teacher with the local school district, I speak only for myself in this letter.

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the speech to kids by President Barack Obama.

My Facebook page carries opinions from those who cannot understand the outrage and some who cannot understand why there isn't more outrage. Some people I greatly respect declare that President Obama is not allowed to speak to their children in any way.

There is much in these conversations that I don't understand.

You see, my values, beliefs and morals are very comfortable with questions. I considered many sources when I decided those values, beliefs and morals were mine.

Over my 40-plus years, I have kept most of the ones I learned from my folks and gathered a few more through experiences.

Like me, our kids should have the same opportunity to learn and ponder and decide about what matters to them before they begin life on their own.

They need to determine and examine their own values, beliefs and morals because these elemental qualities create the foundation for their futures. They deserve the opportunity to discuss and evaluate what will become the compasses of their lives.

They should not compromise their values, beliefs or morals just because a teacher, police officer, pastor, world leader or any authority figure tells them to do so.

They should be so comfortable with these qualities that no one person, no one speech, can cause our kids to falter.

Parents and community, I ask you to do a simple, but difficult thing.

Believe in your children. Let them hear what a world leader has to say.

Have discussions at the dinner table. Question speakers and their speeches. Ask why people say what they say. Talk until there are no more words to say.

Perhaps you could tell your kids what I tell them.

"Take the information that you find useful, and leave the rest wherever you found it. Think for yourself. Decide for yourself. Stay true to yourself. Believe in yourself. And the rest will take care of itself."

When you are confident in yourself, there is nothing you cannot discuss.

Dawn Bolstad

Comments

Really 4 years, 10 months ago

Thanks, Dawn. I agree that kids should be given information so they can think and make up their own opinions. What is everyone SO afraid of?

blue42 4 years, 10 months ago

I was out raged when my kids brought home a letter to be signed if I do not want my child to hear the encouraging words that the president of the United States has to say about how important school is and to be accountable for your own actions!!! If this was any other (white) president, would that letter have been sent out? Why would any parent not want there child to hear from our country's leader about how important it is to do your best in school? When its time to learn about our first black president in the schools history books, will the parents need to sign a permission slip??? Or will they just opt not to teach it, because of all the controversy??? What has our school system come to??

taxslave 4 years, 10 months ago

Obama is a blatant liar.....he shouldn't be able to speak to anybody's child. And we know who the father of lies is.

I suggest you view "Obama Deception" on the net....out of his own mouth....he is a liar. Wake up people.

Get A Grip....Tax.........you hate everything about this man and will believe everything you read against him. But at least you get an atta boy for not attaching a "youtube" for everyone to watch!

Lawspecialist 4 years, 10 months ago

Realistically, there are liars everywhere.... television, radio, government, politics, general public, courts, lawyers, religious leaders/followers, witnesses, retailers, and the list could go on and on; many people speak publically and privately. If one has the intelligence to digest what "anyone" says then one should have the intelligence to make an opinion from the presentation.

taxslave 4 years, 10 months ago

If you watch tv you are dead to the truth of anything. Obama has lied about everything.

If you read the health bill, it covers illegals but he says it doesn't.

Have you read the bill or just watch tv.

I only hate evil and he's evil. Most are ignornant because they believe tv....voice of evil.

taxslave 4 years, 10 months ago

More interesting on health bill.....go read:

Subtitle C-11 Section 2521, National Medical Device Registry.....implanted chip.

Get informed...throw tv in trash

you think he is evil and I know many people who thought the same thing about Bush. How can you tell people to throw their tv in the trash when you talk about how much you watch CSPAN and all the stuff to do with congress and the senate.....watching how they read the bills and who votes for them and who doesn't?? now we should just throw it all away? How do you want us to stay informed, by the internet? I don't believe everything I read on that either.

taxslave 4 years, 10 months ago

I watch cspan on the internet.....not tv. The tv tells you what to think. I won't own a tv nor pay for it to lie to me.

Wake up lonelyone....and yes, bush is evil as well. He too is a liar and much involved in 9/11

I suppose Ron Paul is the only honest man alive. And excuse me how in the heck am I to know you watch CSPAN on the internet.....what the heck can be so much better about the same program on the internet as opposed to tv.......they can both be programed to lie to you or me.......your the one who needs to wake up and quit crying wolf!!!

Ray Cartwright 4 years, 10 months ago

I know; now that the gold market has gone soft I will have to sell my gold and silver and reopen a bank account that didn't fail during the fall of the Roman Empire. For all that didn't know the bottom is about to fall out of the gold and silver market because the stock market is on the incline. THANKS Taxslave for that misadvice.