Jayne Morley: Why low bail?

This letter is for Judge Sandra Gardner, regarding the violent physical assault on my neighbors.

What were you thinking? A $50,000 bail for a man who would commit this kind of violence to seniors in our community? It causes me to ask who you serve?

Your decision is an injustice to my neighbors and an insult to our community. Why does this criminal deserve your protection?

I would like to know what your reasoning is for the decision to set such a low bail.

Jayne Morley

Comments

vic 5 years, 1 month ago

Yes Judge, there are many of us who are interested in your reasoning. This was a violent, unprovoked attack on a kind, elderly couple in their own home....not a bar room brawl. How can you take this type of a crime so lightly?

WileyWapiti 5 years, 1 month ago

This is truly an outrage, regardless of age, these people were attacked totally unprovoked in the privacy of their own home. I am all for innocent until proven guilty, but leniency and verdict should be determined at the trial, not before it. I wonder when this guy was booked into the jail if it was difficult to get the cookie jar off his hand in order to process it into evidence? I think this sets an excellent example for the youth of today, that if you just so happen to find yourself in a situation that appears eminent that you will be in felonious trouble, do not worry, there is help and compassion to be found in Craig - just look right behind the bench and hold your shackled hands up in a pleading motion with slightly tear wept eyes and all will be forgiven - or maybe just text her.

WileyWapiti 5 years, 1 month ago

I have to apologize as my comment does not include Judge O'Hara as I have a lot of respect for him and his bench policy and history - the comment does not apply to him or his judgemnts.

sandy123 5 years, 1 month ago

Jimmy has a violent track record. Wife beater and punched out his father. He is originally from Maine.

vic 5 years, 1 month ago

I would have hoped the Judge would have taken his record into consideration. I guess now we will have to depend on the jurors to use common sense...of course the Judge will reenter the picture for sentencing. Maybe she will have the opportunity to do her homework in advance.

corachel 5 years, 1 month ago

I, also, wonder why this judge set such a low bail. I am simply appalled.

lucymane 5 years, 1 month ago

To: Rocky Mountain:

Judge Garner has a bonding schedule, however, she has the authority and liberty to set bail at a higher amount. I believe her evaluation of this situation was incorrect.

This guy will get his day in court. The important thing right now is to keep our community safe.

RockyMountain 5 years, 1 month ago

In response to these comments, the 14th District has a bond schedule and a judge is required to set bail pursuant to this schedule. No doubt, Judge Gardner set bail pursuant to this bonding schedule and in doing so she evaluated statutory considerations, i.e. flight risk. Furthermore, she issued a protective order to protect the victims and witnesses. While many of you have already tried and convicted this defendant, he has not even had his first appearance in the courtroom and whether we like it or not, he is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Isis 5 years, 1 month ago

To: Rocky Mountain,

A protective order was issued? This is nothing more than a piece of paper. How does this protect the victims and our community?

Presumed innocent? The guy was arrested on the property with the victim's blood on him. I applaud the Craig PD and the District Attorney for fulfilling their responsibility to serve the community. I am DEEPLY disappointed in the judge's decision to grant a low bail amount. This ruling sends a message that the judge is more concerned with the criminal's rights than she is for the victims, or our community.

I personally feel that the judge owes our community a public explanation for why she ruled to make our town a less safe place to live. This is the statement that was sent when a ridiculously low amount of bail was set.

How many people does this criminal need to attack before the judge understands that he is a RISK to our community? The public understands this very well. The bail should have been set much higher to protect the truly innocent until this criminal has his day in court.

I will be watching the proceedings. Unless this wrong is corrected, I will be voting "do not retain."