Craig City Council members turn their attention to Councilor Byron Willems as he makes his argument against passing an ordinance regulating medical marijuana dispensaries in the city. The ordinance passed, 6-1, despite Willems’ concerns.

Photo by Shawn McHugh

Council passes medical marijuana ordinance

ATVs approved on 1st reading

photo

Craig City Councilor Byron Willems said he thinks Colorado’s medical marijuana system is deeply flawed and permits abuses by recreational users. During the meeting, he told the council that at least one area physician, whom he did not name, said his office is constantly asked for medical marijuana recommendations by those who don’t need one.

Although there have been heated discussions in recent months, the Craig City Council’s final vote Tuesday on an ordinance regulating medical marijuana dispensaries within city limits was relatively calm and quick.

The council approved the ordinance, 6-1, at its regular meeting Tuesday.

Before anyone stood up to speak, Craig Mayor Don Jones said he would limit the debate to council members only.

“We’ve discussed this for the last two-and-a-half months,” Jones said. “For tonight, I hope I don’t offend any of the audience members when I limit the discussion to the council members. … At the last meeting, some tempers kind of flared, and I hope to keep this meeting orderly.”

Councilor Byron Willems was the only councilor to vote against the ordinance regulating medical marijuana dispensaries.

Willems has opposed the motion for the past several weeks on the grounds that he thinks the state medical marijuana system does not work.

He asked the other councilors at their last meeting Nov. 10 to instead pass a motion banning medical marijuana dispensaries in Craig.

Several area residents attended the previous meeting to voice their support for Willems’ position.

Although the mayor said he would not take comments from the audience, most of those who appeared two weeks ago did not attend Tuesday’s meeting.

Jones added later that he wanted the public to understand the city’s ordinance does not condone the use of marijuana, medical or otherwise.

“The people that have called me, and most of them have been senior citizens, I want to explain to them we’re not condoning marijuana or drugs, we’re trying to contain them,” he said.

Councilor Joe Herod said as much earlier when he voted for the ordinance to pass.

“I feel like by voting ‘yes’ for this ordinance, we are, or I am, doing it in the best interest of our community,” he said. “Right now, the way I read this, if we don’t do this, we could have one (dispensary) on every corner of our town, and I don’t want that.”

The ordinance requires all medical marijuana dispensaries that open from now on to be in certain commercial and light industrial districts, most of which are along Victory Way or on the south side of Craig.

It also requires all new dispensaries to be 500 feet away from all child-care facilities, churches, city parks, schools, halfway houses, correctional facilities or other dispensaries. It also restricts them from being within 100 feet of a residence.

In addition to location requirements, the ordinance requires any prospective dispensary owner to pay the city a $1,500 application fee to cover expenses for criminal background checks, fingerprinting and other requirements.

No one with a prior felony conviction will be allowed to open a dispensary, according to the ordinance passed Tuesday.

The City Council also approved, 6-1, the first reading of an ordinance allowing all-terrain and off-highway vehicles on city streets.

The ATV/OHV ordinance must pass a second reading at the council’s next meeting Dec. 8 before it becomes official.

Jones was the only council member to vote against the ATV ordinance.

“I guess to me it’s still the safety issue,” the mayor said. “It’s a four-wheeler. It’s a toy. … I don’t think the streets of Craig are the place for an ATV.”

The other councilors said they supported the ordinance generally and were impressed by the amount of work its proponents put into gathering the information they brought to the city.

The proposed ordinance requires anyone who wishes to drive an ATV or OHV on city streets to insure the vehicle for city driving and register it with the city.

It also includes requirements for safety equipment — such as headlights, taillights and a windshield or eye protection for the driver — as well as prohibits any vehicles that do not have four wheels, such as snowmobiles.

Since the last time city officials discussed the proposal, the age limit for riders has been raised from 16 to 18, and all vehicles that have been modified into an ATV or OHV are prohibited.

Collin Smith can be reached at 875-1794 or cesmith@craigdailypress.com.

Comments

aPerspective 4 years, 4 months ago

Thank You...This is a big step in the right direction for Craig as a whole....and not only in relativity to medical marijuana.....i think this well help in closing a huge generational gap in terms of politics and previous enactments, as well as ways of thinking in this part of Colorado.

als362 4 years, 4 months ago

Thank you Craig City Council, for making drugs more easily available to kids and people that have no real need for them. I really appreciate it when you look out for my welfare in this manner. Another step backwards for this community.

aPerspective 4 years, 4 months ago

Unless your a registered patient with the state and can prove that, you aren't getting in to any dispensary!

FOR EXAMPLE:

Prostitution in Nevada-------LEGAL and State Regulated.....does everyone in Nevada go to the local whore house and pick up a poke?!? NO....its a matter or personal choice......but its a presented choice, regulated and taxed by the state......a once wild and out of controll trade thats been tamed and regulated into a working structure. Its a matter of personal choice....No one is making you or your children use medical marijuana....

Dispensaries are more particular, than most banks......If you dont have your documentation and identification your not getting access to the medicine!...I have personally witnessed dispensaries across the state NOT ALLOWING and or throwing out Patrons who have NO Documentation.........

als362 4 years, 4 months ago

aPerspective: You can talk this garbage all you want but you will NEVER convince me that this is anything but an easy way for people to get wasted for no reason. This is about as good for this community as a herd of gophers. Nothing but a bunch of stoners.

daybyday 4 years, 4 months ago

Wow, prostitution is tamed and regulated into a working structure? Are you kidding or just living in a bubble? Every freedom has responsibility attached, and every action has an affect on others even when you pretend it doesn't. As someone else said, if this were truly a "medical" marijuana issue, it wouldn't even be an issue.

als362 4 years, 4 months ago

To daybyday: Anyone that is in favor of this, is living in a bubble, or perhaps a better word is cloud. The cloud of thier addiction to a stupor brought on by drug use.

JAHM 4 years, 4 months ago

als362............you never have anything positive to say about this community and its members........so my question is why in the Heck! are you still living here? you seem to dislike anything and everything!!! thats all we ever hear from you! the vibe I get from you is that you are mister high and mighty and if its not your way or not to your liking its NO WAY and thats that!!! You must be a very unhappy lonely person. Thats all I can guess as to why your so neg. about everything and everyone.

als362 4 years, 4 months ago

Not true, I have said good things about many people here. But when most of the decisions made around here make no sense at all, then I am not about to be positive about it. And for the record, I am not negative, I am just stating my opinion. I am sorry that a lonely high and mighty person like you can't understand that. But I guess if its not to your liking, then its NO WAY.
You see this opinion thing goes both ways.

JAHM 4 years, 4 months ago

okay okay you have a point, but let me add I am Not a lonely high and mighty person thats for sure!!! and I am NOT ONE OF THOSE ITS MY WAY OR NO WAY!!! I am one of those go with the flow, try to look at it from both points of view. im not saying thats how I ALWAYS AM im just saying I really try to look at it from both points of view, and yes it worries me with this being approved because I have two children, But at the same time I have a very dibilitating disease, that does cause pain and can in the future cause a lot more! I hate pot!! HATE HATE HATE everything about it!!!!!! BUT if it was the one thing that took my pain away and had less side effects than some of the pain medication they have put me on before, then I can honestly admit that I would become a medical marijuana user. I hope that I never reach that point, but if it worked better for me than anything else then thats what I would take. All im trying to say is I understand where you are coming from but can you try to put yourself in someone else's shoes for a short time and maybe see what you would do then? If you had a disease or injury that caused you SO MUCH pain and pain pills were just to much for you or did not work, would you be willing or want to maybe try medical marijuana to see if it helped? I am going to bet that if you were in enough pain and were at your witts end you would try just about anything to help with that pain.

native_craig_guy 4 years, 4 months ago

I think that it is a good thing that Craig Passed the Rules regulating the dispensaries. It is better that we regulate it now, early, rather than falling behind the swelling political tide that is surrounding this issue on a national level. What I still fail to understand is how people can judge someone because they choose to take a different form of treatment from a doctor. I do not smoke marijuana nor would I ever plan on using it as medication if it were an option for any ailment that I may acquire, but I would not judge someone who does make that choice. There are so many close minded individuals in this community who chose to close their minds and judge people rather than look at facts and respect the personal choices of others. I whole heartedly believe that there are more alcoholics in this community than there are potheads. What makes an alcoholic inherently better than a pothead? Because it is legal? Alcohol is a drug and it has no medicinal purposes that I can think of and we have no problem with at least 5 liquor stores and countless bars in this community. In reality I am sure that not all people who smoke pot are pot heads the same way that not everyone who drinks is a drunk. The people who are going to smoke pot without a legal way of doing it are still going to get their pot, the same way that people still drank during prohibition. Use common sense and logic rather than emotion when looking at an issue. Do research on a topic before spouting ignorance. Do us all a favor and be informed on issues, especially if they matter to you. And do not put someone down because they believe differently than you, doing that makes you no better than the Taliban Terrorist who hates everyone who thinks differently than they do.

Sumarjn 4 years, 4 months ago

If you had been paying attention, you would have read the stat whereby 400 applications daily are being made for a medical marijuana in Colorado. That 90% of the apps are male and the average age is around 40. That the majority of afflictions are severe pain. There are dispensaries sprouting up in every city, town and community in Colorado. Obviously, there are way more dispensaries than could serve those who might need the pot. It is a joke.

*The people who are going to smoke pot without a legal way of doing it are still going to get their pot, *

Criminals - who in this case use sick people to achieve their means. Liars and sneaks trying to legalize a stupid drug.

Nonsense. The Taliban doesn't want their lifestyle of oppressing women, children, and their misguided sense of religion to be interupted, so they blame anyone they can for that oppression. The Taliban WAS in charge of oil in their area, but that all changed. If research is in order here, research the statement of: "We'll give you a carpet of gold or a carpet of bombs". It was the Taliban's choice for their current status, so now you might consider why they are so irritated?

(Prelude) "But, confronted with Taliban's refusal to accept U.S. conditions, ''this rationale of energy security changed into a military one''.

''At one moment during the negotiations, the U.S. representatives told the Taliban, 'either you accept our offer of a carpet of gold, or we bury you under a carpet of bombs','' Brisard said in an interview in Paris."

I don't think anyone here hates potheads. They're just being called out on their nonsense.

George Robertson 4 years, 4 months ago

"Alcohol is a drug and it has no medicinal purposes that I can think of" Have you checked out the ingredients of most cough syrups?

lostyermarbles 4 years, 4 months ago

Cool, now we can put our deer goggles on and ride our 4 wheeler's over to get our dope! We are all set here!!

native_craig_guy 4 years, 4 months ago

Nimrod: Alcohol is used in cough syrups as a solvent for a number of reasons such as; alcohol keeps other ingredients dissolved into a liquid form more effectively than water, and second of all it enables the cough syrup to have a longer shelf life. There is no medicinal reason for the alcohol in cough syrup, it is just aids in maintaining chemical composition of the syrup.

Sumarjn: FIrst of all oil did not start the conflict between Muslim Extremists and the rest of the world. Muslim Extremists have been at war with Jewish, Christian, and Hindu peoples for a number of centuries. This is all based on the fact that the believe that anyone who does not believe the way that they do is inferior (infidel) and is an enemy if they do not convert, but of course "research" would show that to be true. My point was obviously not received. Statistics Research: I would love to see the numbers that you quote so effortlessly regarding the number and demographical information regarding who is applying for medical marijuana. Obviously you believe that marijuana is an awful drug. It is my personal belief that marijuana may hold remedies for persons that traditional medicine cannot offer. Would I ever smoke Marijuana? No, but that does not mean that it may prove effective to treat someone's illness. It is my personal political view that the government should not be telling us what we can or cannot do to our bodies or in our own homes (within reason, don't blow that out proportion by assuming I mean that we should all be allowed to murder at will or anything like that). Do you know that morphine and its other medical variants are all opiates? Wow, basically a prescribed version of heroin. Like most issues in this country people take it upon themselves to impress their moral views on others without the respect to try and understand where someone else is coming from? This type of close mindedness is very disturbing. Of course there are going to be people who try and abuse the system and claim to suffer from chronic pain and try to obtain prescription marijuana, i mean it happens with morphine pain killers all the time. What we need to rely on is the integrity of those who took the Hippocratic Oath (Medical Doctors take the Hippocratic Oath to practice medicine with the best interest of the patient in mind, just in case you did not know, i don't want to lose you again) to prescribe medical marijuana in a responsible fashion, similarly to the caution they use in prescribing morphine or other painkillers. All that I am saying is keep an open mind and remember that this law was made to ease the suffering of individuals who are in severe pain or whom modern medications are not working. I think that the intent of the law is inherently good and that the State of Colorado will enforce it, we just need to trust that doctors will abide by their oath and not prescribe medications to those who will not benefit from it.

George Robertson 4 years, 4 months ago

To native-craig-guy....Oh OK that explains why when we were kids the best cough medicine out there was whiskey mixed with honey and lemon juice.

native_craig_guy 4 years, 4 months ago

Nimrod- There are lot of older remedies that are now found to not be effective. The American Lung Association actually advises against using alcoholic beverages (such as a Toddy, like you mention) as a remedy for the common cold as it contributes to dehydration and has no real effect. Depending on your age, I seriously doubt that it was the best cough medicine that was available. But as your chosen e-handle suggests, maybe you just thought that it was. SO, besides a no longer recommended cold remedy I can again state that I cannot think of any reason for medicinal alcohol.

George Robertson 4 years, 4 months ago

As my chosen e-handle suggests?? Look it up in the dictionary. In any case there are a lot of older remedies that have been found to be VERY effective.

Sumarjn 4 years, 4 months ago

Tangent? But that's okay, tangents are very much a part of these forums. The current conflict is very much about oil.

You seemed to have missed all of the previous posts on this subject.

This type of close mindedness is very disturbing.

I don't care if people chew off the tops of fence posts if that eases their pain. What should be disturbing is all the obvious lies by pot heads who are merely using sick people to get pot legalized.

You never did lose me. Again, you seemed to have missed all of the previous stats and comments throughout this fourm - which would have answered most of your posts on this subject.

Do research on a topic before spouting ignorance.

westslopeguy 4 years, 4 months ago

Again, I am educated from these pages. (That's serious folks, not sarcasm-I've given up on the sarcastic comments as they tend to fly past or over their intended). I looked up Nimrod, as I oft do when presented with facts here, (not a frequent event, but I digress), and found:

"Nimrod was also a renowned hunter, though at least one source we found claimed his game of choice was not animals but men, whom he would enslave upon capture."

While I understand that is not the socially prescribed definition, I'm still not seeing the positive reference one would like to identify himself with.

Again... just my 2cents Paul

native_craig_guy 4 years, 4 months ago

Sumarjn: You have not listed any references in this forum. Was it another forum that you posted them in? I would be interested to see them.

It is my understanding that the terrorists dislike (not the best term) the infidels because of our lifestyle and our choice of religion. I know they do not like our presence in any Muslim country (for oil or otherwise) but the foundations of their hatred is in fact based on religious doctrine, not the recent oil related developments of the last 50 years. The British had similar problems with Iraq in the 1950s and 1960s. Take the violence in the middle east. They are at war with Israel because of possession of "Holy Lands" and their presence in the region. It has nothing to do with the Israeli oil companies. I am sure that America wants to secure the oil fields for our economic security, but again, the basis of the conflict is based on religion. That is why they also declare Jihad on other branches of the Muslim Faith (Sunnis and Shiites for example) who have no oil interests. This fight (Afghanistan in particular) is regarding the preservation of American values and making sure that terrorists are not allowed to continue their terrorist activities.

Nimrod: My apologies as I was not aware of the biblical reference of Nimrod. But here in the 21st century Nimrod is taken as a person regarded as silly, foolish, or stupid. (American Heritage Dictionary, 2009).

Sumarjn 4 years, 4 months ago

" The only other possible route option is across Afghanistan, which has its own unique challenges.

The country has been involved in bitter warfare for almost two decades. The territory across which the pipeline would extend is controlled by the Taliban, an Islamic movement that is not recognized as a government by most other nations. From the outset, we have made it clear that construction of our proposed pipeline cannot begin until a recognized government is in place that has the confidence of governments, lenders and our company.

In spite of this, a route through Afghanistan appears to be the best option with the fewest technical obstacles. It is the shortest route to the sea and has relatively favorable terrain for a pipeline. The route through Afghanistan is the one that would bring Central Asian oil closest to Asian markets and thus would be the cheapest in terms of transporting the oil."

I wonder where the Taliban went?

Eh? So if they have oil America wants, we carpet bomb them or hang em? Of course one can't negotiate with religious nuts - so we just take what we want and rename it democracy? Cool! Why do we sent troops over there to be picked off - one by one? Why don't we just nuke em' ?

You can certainly believe what you want to - strong evidence suggests otherwise? I agree with you in part concerning their religion. However, I believe Bush Inc. invaded primarily for oil. I also believe 9-11 would not have happened - but for Bush's nonsense. (Bush I and Bush II).

(The pot stats are laced throughout this forum under different subjects/topics - of which is too boring for me to trace back through. Just look for the pot related stories).

GreyStone 4 years, 4 months ago

Sunarjn,

While we ponder over the great question of medical marijuana dispensaries,

China is in Afganistan, not the US, securing large interests in energy. http://ecfr.eu/content/entry/can_china_save_afghanistan/

“The China Metallurgical Group Corporation won a $3 billion bid to develop the Aynak copper deposits; the mine is the largest foreign direct investment in Afghanistan's history and, once up and running, could provide an amount equal to 40 per cent of the Afghan budget. Beijing also intends to build a coal-fired electric plant, and has even talked about constructing a railway line connecting the Pakistani port of Gwadar with Aynak and even Tajikistan. Afghanistan's unexplored reserves of oil, natural gas and iron ore could also help satiate China's demand for energy and raw materials.”

native_craig_guy 4 years, 4 months ago

Sumarjn: Thank you for providing me with your links to the medical marijuana stuff. Regarding the Taliban I still don't think that you understand my assertions that they hate us because of our religion. Remember when Osama failed to blow up the World Trade Centers in 1993? When Clinton was president? Bush(s) cannot be totally to blame for the events of 9-11. It occurred only 8 months after he took office. Clinton's administration did nothing to prevent the attacks of 9-11 in his 8 years of office. Then Osama succeeded after almost a decade of undisturbed planning in 2001. The Russians have exploited Afghanistan more so than ourselves, remember that we trained and funded the Taliban resistance against the Russians in the 1980s? If the Muslim Extremists across the world didn't pick a fight with every local ethnic group (Philippines, Serbia, Ethiopia, Lebanon, London, Spain, Israel, Russia, etc) I could see that your claims regarding the oil fields would be accurate. But the truth remains that this group of terrorists are concerned about more than just oil, They are following the orders from their prophet mohammad to destroy their enemy, i.e. us. There is a bigger picture here than just the oil fields.