Byron Willems: Voice your opinion

Our state senator, Al White, said: “We don’t allow people to simply open up a shop and sell controlled substances like Valium or Oxycontin — that’s why they call them ‘controlled substances.’ So, why are we allowing that to happen with medical marijuana?”

The fact is many Colorado towns are considering outright bans or already have enacted outright bans on medical marijuana dispensaries — Colorado Springs, Greely, Boulder, Broomfield, Superior and Trinidad, just to name a few.

If you agree that Craig does not need a medical marijuana dispensary — or if you think a medical marijuana dispensary is good for Craig — please come let your opinion be known. At the very least, take time to call a Craig City Council member and express your opinion.

What is your opinion? The City Council needs to hear it.

The second and final reading of the medical marijuana ordinance will be at 7:30 p.m. tonight at Craig City Hall.

Byron Willems

Craig City Council member

Comments

als362 4 years, 4 months ago

In my opinion, Craig does not need a place where drugs get sold openly. I think if people want to buy pot for medical reasons, then it should be sold at a pharmacy just like any other prescription drug.

applesaday 4 years, 4 months ago

@als362 They are not sold openly. Openly implies anyone can walk in and check out shelves of cannabis. Not the case. When I went in, I had to go prove my status as a medical card holder by showing them my Drivers License and State Medical card. They took copies and then I had to go through 3 locked doors before I even got to see anything. You also fail to realize that cannabis can NOT be sold through pharmacies. Pharmacies are federally regulated, and can not dispense items illegal under federal law. Also, the law states a patient can get his medicine legally however he must, which means he can legally purchase cannabis from an illegal drug dealer even though the drug dealer is breaking the law. Eliminating dispensaries fuels illegal drug trade, simply put.

als362 4 years, 4 months ago

I believe that dispensaries will become illegal drug trade. I believe that they will become greedy and start to sell pot illegally, simply put.

Sumarjn 4 years, 4 months ago

"Openly implies anyone can walk in and check out shelves of cannabis. Not the case. When I went in, I had to go prove my status as a medical card holder by showing them my Drivers License and State Medical card."

The trouble with that statement is - is that anyone who chooses to lie to "the doctor," can gain a medical pot card. ...And of course, some "doctors" are obviously willing participants. No one has to revisit the stats to know that the potheads here are lying. Just read their illogical posts.

If the subject was only about medical marijuana, it wouldn't be much of an issue.

I just can't wait till pot is legal and airline pilots start smoking that garbage...

"Oh Yeah!"

native_craig_guy 4 years, 4 months ago

Even if Marijuana were legalized that does not mean that employers would have to allow their employees to smoke it. Alcohol is legal and employees cannot be under the influence of alcohol on the job. Most corporate insurance companies require random drug and alcohol testing as a condition of bonding or insuring. That would not change dispite the legality of marijuana.