Duane Laabs: Do our votes count?

I’m confused.

We are told that our vote counts from the time we are in school to every time that we vote.

The voice of the people seems to me that it doesn’t count for a thing.

We vote on things such as legalizing marijuana, it gets shut down and then we get shown how much our vote counts.

We even vote people in to office to do for the people and they show their true colors. With their comments that they told you in the article, it’s not a pain pill it’s a drug that will be abused.

We teach our kids to just say no; then why can’t we as adult just say no?

I hope that you can help me understand what the big deal about this is. We voted on it, we stated our feelings, and now it’s up to our councils and leaders that we put in their offices to up hold our votes.

Or, if they can change that, maybe we should change them.

Duane Laabs

Comments

aPerspective 5 years, 1 month ago

In response to our vote not counting...It seems that America is standing True and Blue....The Voting Populous did their civic duty and voted as they individually saw fit....reflected thoughout the state.....The Majority voted YES to medical marijuana.......... So I think the title for this should read.....Local Man Upset His Vote Wasnt Used To Individually Represent the whole States Vote!! Was this Letter by chance submitted on Brown Bag Paper with Red Crayola Crayon?

daybyday 5 years, 1 month ago

Maybe better to submit on a brown paper bag than your bar napkin?
I dare say the majority of dispensary advocates, understanding fully the compassionate nature of Americans, used the platform of "compassionate use" with less than honorable intentions. Do you not see that men welding the title of "caregiver" as a mere front for drug dealing and usage will reek more havock on this nation than a man welding a crayola crayon?

JAHM 5 years, 1 month ago

Irregardless of the issue the majority of the voters agreed to pass the medical marijuana issue. I understand there are concerns with those that voted no but in a democratic society the majority rules. So as stated by aPerspective the title of this letter should have in fact been "Local Man Upset His Vote Wasn't Used To Individually Represent the whole States Vote!!" So in answer to Duane Laabs, yes your vote still counts and luckily for free speech you are able to voice your opinion. Just because you did not get the results you wanted that doesn't mean that your vote did not count. And remember that majority wins in democracy but is not always right! Maybe looking back we will change this law but for now it was passed by majority not on you opinion.

DLAABS 5 years, 1 month ago

DONT HIDE LETS SEE HOW YOU ARE. NOT WHAT I WAS SAY TO ALL YOU KNOW IT ALLS. WHAT I WAS SAYING IS IF IT MEDICAL THEN SEE A DOCTOR NOT A HEADSHOP OPERATOR . I KNOW HOW THE VOTE WENT, WE THE PEOPLE DID NOT WANT TO LEGALIZE MARIJAUNA THAT IS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.THAT IS THE VOTE THAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT. IF YOU GIVE SOMEONE A INCH THEY WILL TAKE A MILE, WITH NO CONTROL. AGAIN TALKING WITH OTHERS AROUND COMMUNITY IT NOT ONE LOCAL MAN OPINION THAT I SPEAK.

JAHM 5 years, 1 month ago

Ok so I was wrong. I think the title should have been, "Local Man Upset That Vote Wasn't What His Group of Friends Wanted for the Whole State!!" Once again you did not address why the individual voter does not count, which I believe was the point of your letter. Do you have facts about voter fraud or are you just angry you didn't get what you wanted? As I stated in my earlier posting, "Irregardless of the issue the majority of the voters agreed to pass the medical marijuana issue." Thank you for voicing your opinion just don't feel that saying that democracy is failing in this country is a fair accusation to throw at the readers. In no way was democracy compromised, the MAJORITY of voters voted this into law. Instead of being angry at the vote work on getting your message out and try to overturn the decision.

DLAABS 5 years, 1 month ago

it sounds like i stepped on your toes do you have a way around so you can deal the drug like has happend and will happend im sorry to impose my opinion on your buisness . or do you just have to try to show that you are right. maybe you should move to california and see the mess that your medician has gotten them, OR ARE YOU FROM THERE AND TRING TO BRING IT HERE. you have your opinion and i mine the only dif is i served my time to have mine you prob didnt.

JAHM 5 years, 1 month ago

Ok...... I will leave this alone after this. Yes you have your opinion and I have mine. You voiced yours and I voiced mine. So far in agreement HUH? First off I work a full time job and have no need for drugs in my life. I even hate medicine prescribed by doctors (which in fact are drugs just like Marijuana, only legal cause some company is making money off them). My opinion is simply that it is unfair to attack those using the laws as written and then hide behind the defense that the votes are not counted. Secondly I served my country to the best of my ability for 8 years and so I too served my time to have my opinion.