Mike Flannery: Marijuana questions

I have been watching the whole debate about medical marijuana with interest.

My main problem with the drug, marijuana, is how it is retained in the system.

It can remain in the system for days or weeks at a time. I guess I am wondering if these people using "medical marijuana" are driving a motor vehicle?

If marijuana still is detectable in their system, are they operating a motor vehicle under the influence?

If there happens to be a motor vehicle accident with a medical marijuana user behind the wheel, who is liable for injuries, death or damages?

The city that allows the sale of marijuana within its city limits? The state that has ignored federal law? The federal government that now will not enforce its own laws in the states that allow medical marijuana use?

It seems to me that cities, states and the country has opened themselves up to a tremendous amount of liability.

I guess the answer could be that if you want to use marijuana legally, you could give up you driving privileges in lieu of medical use of marijuana to alleviate any liability issues.

Mike Flannery

Comments

pgerini 4 years, 5 months ago

Mike, Colorado law defines that a driver is under the influence of drugs when the drugs have affected the driver "to a degree that the person is substantially incapable, either mentally or physically, or both mentally and physically, to exercise clear judgment, suffcient physical control, or due care in the safe operation of a vehicle."

The charge of DUI-D does not require that you be under the influence of illegal drugs. Even prescription or over-the-counter drugs that can cause impairment can be the basis for the charge against you.

Using your logic, anyone under the influence of legal drugs, including Marijuana, should lose the privilege of operating a motor vehicle in the state of Colorado.

You need to accept the fact that a majority of registered voters passed the medical marijuana law. If you are concerned about drivers under the influence, then do something about the children of Moffat County that drink and drive and some of the adults that allow it

Colorado has laws governing DAWI, DUI, and DUI-D. So don't worry about the liability issues Mike, just pray that you are never in a position that you would want to use legal marijuana for pain.

Philip Gerini

thatdude 4 years, 5 months ago

Let's say you partake in the herb on Monday..you will not be impaired when you drive a car on Tuesday..sure, it's in your system, but it's not going to impare you in the least.

als362 4 years, 5 months ago

I do not believe that anyone writing on these pages can predict how much any drug will effect a given person. Drugs effect everyone differently. This is the reason that someone tested positive at work for drug or alchohol use is sent home immediately, and usually terminated.

nikobesti 4 years, 5 months ago

While you’re right that people are affected differently als362, but there is some reasonable range which cannot be exceeded. You cannot smoke pot on Monday and still be high 24 hours later on Tuesday. It’s not improbable, it’s impossible.

Or maybe you’re contending that I can get drunk on Friday night, not drink anything else the whole weekend and still show up to work drunk on Monday? Are you saying that’s possible because everyone reacts differently?

als362 4 years, 5 months ago

Anyone that thinks this is a good idea has clabber for brains!!!

westslopeguy 4 years, 5 months ago

Now there's an informed opinion to add to the thread. It reminds me of my best retort when I was young.... "Oh yeah!"

carn 4 years, 5 months ago

"Clabber" is the residue from milk that is so overboard that it has become chunky. Actually, once milk has "clabbered", you are set to make cheese with it. You can clabber milk by adding vinegar or lemon juice to it, or just leave it in the fridge way past it's 'use by' date or on the counter for an afternoon. Make your own inferences and/or metaphors here.

als362 4 years, 5 months ago

To westslopeguy: Stupid ideas deserve comments like that. Every time I hear stupid ideas like this one I remark in that manner.

Sumarjn 4 years, 5 months ago

Let's say you smoke pot on Monday. You don't think you are "impared" on Tuesday. Then, let's say you go apply for a job with Brown & Root or UPS on that same Tuesday? There is a reason top notch companies do not hire potheads? Potheads are sluggish, dimwitted, and accident prone?

"Oh yeah"!

daybyday 4 years, 5 months ago

Marijuana advocates argue there is no difference between driving or working under the influence of marijuana and driving under the influence of other prescribed pain medications such as demerol. Several big differences include the fact that a physician who understands your current condition and knows your medical history prescribes the demerol and gives you written and/or oral instructions regarding expectations, usage and side effects. Your pharacist then gives you the same or more detailed instructions and warnings.

The truth is that marijuana usage can create the following: increased heart/pulse rate, decreased blood pressure, blood shot eyes, dry mouth, dizziness, increased appetite, memory loss, relaxation, perceptual alterations, time distortion, and intensification of ordinary sensory experiences. Memory, attention, motor skills, reaction time, and psychomotor skills are impaired. It can increase feelings of increased euphoria and/or agitation and paranoia, and sometimes disorientation, dizziness and acute anziety. Marijuana can precipitate reactive or neurotic depressions and increase risk of psychotic symptoms in some people with personal or family history of psychosis.

Some symptoms and side effects are common and some are rare, but simply pretending they don't exist is a flat-out lie. Any forthright and prudent caregiver would stop denying that marijuana can be dangerous and harmful.

als362 4 years, 5 months ago

There in is the issue. There are no prudent caregivers of marijuana. There are only some people that want to make a living off the pain and suffering of others. While having no education, no degree, no advanced studies. The only thing they know is how to take money from someone else and keep it for themselves. All the while sitting on their rears, while their rears get fatter. The impression that these "caregivers" gave me a few nights ago was that of fat lazy slobs, that just want to get fatter and lazier. We do not need these people or anyone like them in our community.

daybyday 4 years, 5 months ago

als, the whole thing just makes me sad. You want to believe in those who say they have the best interests of others in mind. I've read a lot of the dispensary websites, and that these people are actually offering counseling, therapy and medical advice is frightening.

yampa78 4 years, 5 months ago

daybyday how may dispensaries have you been to? It saddness me to think of america as a place that is not free. You want to control everything? als362 what about walgreens walmart citymarket they make alot more money off the pain and suffering of poeple than a local providing Meds for the community!!!

als362 4 years, 5 months ago

To yampa78: The main difference is that pharmacists at Walgreens and Safeway have an education. They KNOW what effect the drugs they sell will have on people. They KNOW the dosage that is correct. And they KNOW about more than just one product, if fact they KNOW about many hundreds or thousands of products. While your so called "caregiver" MIGHT know about one.

yampa78 4 years, 5 months ago

The pharmacist at Walgreens and Wal-Mart has no clue about way you are taking a drug they just fill the prescription for you. I can get as many pain pills as I want but to get MM I had to go to Denver for help. If they know about the drugs so well then why are so many being recalled and pulled from the shelves. You don’t know much about marijuana do you? There has been a ban on the med for so long, not a lot of research has been done on it.

ranchmama 4 years, 5 months ago

Soooo...your pharmacist gives you demerol and your dipensary gives you your pot ummm.. how does this help you? Does your "legal dealer" know what complications could arise from your prescriptions and your MM? I knew a smart handsome football player in HS because he used every now and again, he was an addict before we graduated. Now he can't stop shaking and his communication is odd at it's best. That's what legalizing this stuff will do. That is why he has "clabber for brains". I think everyone who is for this needs to take a step back and ask themselves for an honest answer about why you want MM here. I believe it is so you can get high with the law backing you. If you are really in pain-- I am truly sorry but I don't believe MM is your answer.

yampa78 4 years, 5 months ago

Im so sorry about the football player. You just dont understand. By the way i dont take the pills any more. MM was the best thing i have ever tried. Way does that effect you so much?

als362 4 years, 5 months ago

Anyone that says that a pharmacist has no clue, is as far as I am concerned the biggest fool on the planet. To say that a professional person that has a 4 to 6 year degree knows less about medicine than a so called "caregiver" that puts a thief in your mouth to steal your brains, proves that marijuana has flattened what little brains they had.

ranchmama 4 years, 5 months ago

Hey als362 I am NOT attacking the Pharmacist. I am against some idiot off of the street that runs a legal dispensary because of a state law. I am asking how the dispenser knows when a prescription and MM is going to have horrible side effects?!? He or she won't have a clue and neither will the consumer.

westslopeguy 4 years, 5 months ago

One of the benefits of marijuana is less physically detrimental side-effects than most FDA approved pharmaceuticals. Before you all jump me about side-effects like bloodshot eyes and the like, remember I said physically detrimental. You know like, kidney or liver failure; lifelong neurological disorder; may cause sudden heart failure if taking beta blockers or blood thinners; etc. Most FDA approved pharmaceuticals also come with warnings such as they cause drowsiness, or they should not be taken if driving or using heavy equipment, etc. so let's not get into the minutia, but focus on the real issues. For the most part, and no, not with every case, (always avoid always and never say never), marijuana has less lasting, negative side-effects than most FDA approved side-effects. Otherwise, why would I have to submit to a liver test every twelve months as a result of heart and cholesterol medications? I am not considering using marijuana in lieu of my coronary medications because it would not help my particular condition, I am just citing my personal example as reference to the validity of FDA approved medications. Don't get me started on demerol, oxy, valium, percoset, and other FDA approved medications for pain. That's a whole 'nother thread. Just my 2cents, Paul

daybyday 4 years, 5 months ago

Pharmacists also catch some mistakes made by overworked physicians, which won't happen with dispensaries.
Some prefer to minimize side effects that a recreational pot smoker may consider a "minute detail," while the same effect on a cancer patient undergoing chemo may indeed prove detrimental. This is a great example why we need the FDA, physicians and pharmacists. yampa78, I was going to attempt to answer your points, but I wouldn't know where to start because I don't really know what they are.